Unlimited access >

Help!! Need advice on a wool cooler

I am considering purchasing a custom wool cooler for my horse this winter. He is a grey but still young and has not fully lightened to grey. I love the elegance and look of a solid black cooler. Some barn friends have advised me to purchase a light or or plaid because the white hairs of a grey will get caught up in the wool and I’ll never get it out. I was considering a cotton flannel lining, do you think this will help with my issue?? This is a very expensive purchase and I want to get this right. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have a plaid one that I LOVE (from the clothes horse btw) I would see what swatches they have available and see if there is a plaid that you like, a few years ago, I know that they had a navy plaid with some metallic thread in it that was amazing. I have the flannel lining and it definitely helps but I think having a non-solid sheet helps too

I think the white/grey hairs will always be an issue on a solid dark cooler. Have you considered a beautiful plaid? Integrity has some beautiful ones so does The Clothes Horse. Someone here works for Clothes Horse, I think it’s VA BRED? I’m sure she will have some suggestions.

What are your barn colors?

The cotton lining may help some, but you’ll still have white/grey hairs stuck in it forever. I used to have a blanket that had cotton lining, and hair definitely stuck in it. But I also agree that hairs are more obvious in solid colored items than in plaids. I have a bee-yoo-ti-ful plaid dress sheet from Integrity, but the Clothes Horse also does lovely work.

[QUOTE=pattnic;7159734]
The cotton lining may help some, but you’ll still have white/grey hairs stuck in it forever. [/QUOTE]

I work for Equitex, and I agree with this. Plain black will be really difficult to keep clean. There are so many lovely plaid and herringbone options!

I have been in the “solids-only” camp for years, with Baker plaid being the only exception. UNTIL I went to Gulfport in February and saw all the gorgeous plaids walking around. Absolutely stunning.

Get a plaid!

I have a gray also, and while I usually go with the same dark colors I’ve done for years, I got something a bit different that I love - and it looks amazing!

It’s a heather gray with light blue piping and dark blue binding. It really looks great on my horse. And no issue with white hairs on a dark background! :slight_smile:

I have a gray also, and while I usually go with the same dark colors I’ve done for years, I got something a bit different that I love - and it looks amazing!

It’s a heather gray with light blue piping and dark blue binding. It really looks great on my horse. And no issue with white hairs on a dark background! :slight_smile:

I have a gray mare who always seems to be shedding to some extent. My colors are navy w/ gray trim and white piping. Do the white hairs get stuck to the cooler? Yes, but it’s doable. I only use it for shows, and I’m careful to always keep it downside on her, so the underside has more white hairs embedded, but the top very little. I love the solids, and they are do-able, even with white and gray horses.

:slight_smile:
I DO work for Katrina at The Clothes Horse - www.theclotheshorse.com and I agree that a plaid would be best for hiding those grey hairs. We have THE MOST amazing fabrics and would love to send you whatever you want!

Why don’t you call 856-829-8460 and give us your mailing information and color preferences and we’ll send you samples! You won’t be disappointed!!! :slight_smile: