Unlimited access >

HELP! Need excellent repro vet in Lexington KY -- STAT!

I am cross posting this in Racing as well…

Ok… I will try to be brief. After some 25 years of breeding (mostly) warmbloods , I decided to hang it up with my “swan song” being a racing TB (I worked on the track for about 10 years long, long ago). I came across a nicely bred mare I could afford, had a deal with a trainer all worked out…signed a contract on a stallion. Shipped the mare a LOOONG way from my place to KY. Parked her at the only farm I could find that had room.

Now this mare had a complete work up at a major vet school before I sent her including uterine biopsy, etc.Her uterine grade was not great, but the vet said maybe a 30-50% chance of a Live Foal if she was handled correctly.

Fast forward to today when she was checked as open. As someone who has been working with frozen and shipped semen, inseminating my own mares, etc. I can see where the vet made several decisions that were not in the best interest of a pregnancy for this mare. The original vet (a therionlogist) agrees.

Farm manager totally blowing it off and saying “can’t change vets in mid-stream”.

Says who???

So I know this is a shot in the dark but any recommendation for vets in the Lexington area? And farms as well, since it seems I will have to move the mare. Sheds close July 3rd, so I have one more cycle left.

And is this normal? I mean communication sucks and I just have to take whatever vet that farm uses? I mean there are a BILLION vets in KY…common sense tells you they can’t all be good.

Thanks in advance. PMs are fine.

You might want to post this request in the Racing forum to get a wider audience. There are folks there that do breed TBs.

Yes, I posted it there as well. I believe I mentioned that in my 1st sentence. I would assume they breed other types of horses in KY as well. But not to worry, I found some one. Thanks>

1 Like

Hi! I would contact Dr. Karen VonDollan over at Hagyard. If you still need space, I have a small private band of mares in a safe facility nearby.