Unlimited access >

HELP - No hills to do hill-work. Don't know what to replace it with

So I - just - bought a lovely 5 year old gelding for eventing. He was started under saddle 6 months ago but has had no more than 10 rides (with previous owners). I’ve been trying to put together a training schedule for him and I wish I could do hill-work… He really needs to work that booty. UNFORTUNATELY I live in the Netherlands and there are - zero - hills around, especially my area.

So does anyone have ideas on what I could do to replace hill-work?
I do not have access to a gallop track, treadmills or fancy pools by the way (life goals though:yes:)
I am also unsure of what is too little or too much work. I’m not sure on how many and how long the trot sets, rests in between, and cantering should be. I don’t want to overwork him and internet really is not giving me the clarity I expected to find. I would rather get input from others than act like I know 100% sure what I am doing… :lol:

Book/youtube suggestions for training eventing horses would also be great!!

why exactly do you need hills? are you trying to fix a one-sided weakness, or is there something in the hindquarter that is not “muscled” up enough?

at less than 10 rides i would not expect very fit. ramp up slowly. find a 5 week plan.

in the interim, walk poles can do if there are no hills - 6 in a row, walk over them every walk break. after a few weeks, add trot-poles, two at a time. eventually, once fit (5+ weeks) convert trot poles into cavaletti.

Cavalletti! walking cavalletti work wonders.

I would walk as much as you want (30 min or more), and depending on level of fitness, trot maybe 5 min, add 5 min every week. Canter 2 min when you reach 20 min trot, add 2 min every week or two if he’s tolerating it.

I love Jimmy Wofford’s book, even though it is now ancient.

2 Likes

Ditto to what is above.

Where in the Netherlands are you based? The event barn I was at before my current stable took horses out to the beach for fitness work, which could be an option for you. Some other people I know in the east pop over to Germany occasionally to find some hills. But depending on what level you’re aiming at, at this stage, especially if he hasn’t been under saddle for long, I’d just build up his fitness and understanding on the flat and back him out on the roads if you can to get him out of the arena.

Cavelletti work/low gymnastics. I know a good eventing barn with the same problem and they use regular, scheduled gymnastics work and heart rate monitors to replicate the pushing effort and increased heart rate of hill work

Cavalletti work and/or pole work, this will help with getting him stronger but also improving his footwork.