Unlimited access >

HELP! Oster Golden A5 Single Speed vs. Andis AGC Super 2 Speed

I need to buy my 1st pair of clippers. I was hoping to spend around $100. I have one horse and want a decent set of all-purpose clippers that can do bridle path, fetlocks and maybe a trace clip or body clip 1x a year at most.

My local TSC has the Oster Golden A5 Single Speed for $140. Are these a good buy? How do they compare to the Oster A5 Turbo 2-Speed???

My friend swears by the Andis AGC Super 2 Speeds. However, they are $175 at my local Dover store, and I really don’t want to spend that much for such light use.

Help! I am lost in clipper land and need advice!

Oh, and Happy New Year :smiley:

I’ve used both, own the Andis Super 2’s and think the extra money for the Super 2’s is well worth it. You can usually find them less expensively from dog groomers and eBay stores- I paid $140 for my most recent set, which included the T-84 blade (the one you want for body clipping.) If you don’t do that regularly, you will be fine with the #10 blade, which is a coarse cut that’s well suited to bridle paths and taming feathers. (These clippers are also less expensive when you buy them with the #10 blade; Dover sells “fun colored” as in blue, green, etc. Super 2’s with a #10 blade for $15 less than the maroon ones, which come with the T-84. Same machine, the surcharge is for the blade.) The Super 2’s have substantially more power, run cooler, and vibrate less than the Oster A5’s.

I’ve had SUCH good luck with Andis clippers. They’re quieter, the motor seems stronger, I never have problems with them and they take all the same blades as the A5s. IMHO, worth a couple extra bucks for the Andis.

Agree. Andis, hands down.:slight_smile:

Go with the andis!

Andis, without a doubt. Depending on what you plan to use them for, you may or may not need the AGC. I have a 15-year-old set of Andis Groom Clippers that are still going strong. They’re adjustable, which is nice. For body clipping, I use the AGC with the T-84 blades. I body clip only one horse per year, so I don’t need a more industrial model.

I grew up body clipping cows and have spent a lot of time with the Stewart Clipmaster and Oster A-5 clippers. The Andis clippers have less vibration and are quieter than either of those.

I 6th (?) Andis AGC!
Former Wahl & Oster clipper owner for whisker trims & body clips, but in the last 2 years I’ve only used Andis, and ditched all my others. I use the ceramic edge 10 blades and they slice through wooly coats so nicely, and are small/quiet enough to get near faces & in tight spots to edge. Eventually I’ll get the T-84 for body clips, but these ones haven’t had issues yet after 10+/- clips so I haven’t found the “need” to change :wink:

Thank you all for the feedback! I’ll be returning the Oster A5s to TSC today. I may hunt around online to see if I can find any deals on the Andis AGC Super 2s.

If you know of any great deals out there on the Andis AGC Super 2s, point me in the right direction!

Definitely the Andis, hands down a better product than the Osters. I’ve had my AGC Super 2s for probably 10 years, love 'em. You can usually find them for around $150.

Valley Vet and Jeffers usually have the AGC at a good price.

Jeffers has Andis at lower prices than most other places. I LOVE these: http://www.jefferspet.com/products/ultraedge-super-2-speed-clipper-purple?sku=ACCX . I can do at least 2 full body clips on my big Cushings horse before the blades need changing.

Make sure you get the Andis blade wash dip, too: http://www.jefferspet.com/products/blade-care-plus-for-clipper-blades It cleans and keeps the blades clean and cool which helps them last longer.

Check the FB groups like English Tack Trader - they are sometimes good deals listed on there, but they get snapped up pretty quickly!

PS, Andis all the way! :slight_smile: