Unlimited access >

HELP: STOLEN SADDLES

Hi everyone,

Saturday night there was a break in at my barn in Calgary, AB. The thieves took 9 saddles and thousands of dollars worth of other tack. They seemed to kinda know what they were doing, as they took the all of the nicest saddles, and left some of the no-name types.

If everyone can maybe share this list with any local consignment or used-tack stores near you, it would be so very appreciated. I’m trying my best to cover any major ones around Canada and the US, but I may miss ones that are smaller. An old thread on here showed that some saddles stolen from Ontario ended up somewhere in the US, and if these thieves do know what this stuff is worth, they’ll be heading as far away from Calgary as possible. If we can spread this list as far as possible, we might have a chance of recovering at least some of the stolen items.

Here is a list of the saddles:

[B]Voltaire- Palm Beach Dark Brown 18". #1395.13

CWD- 2010 Dark Brown 18". #11806

Bates- Close contact 17.5". White mark on back of saddle that doesn’t come off

Bates- Caprilli Close Contact. 17.5". Havana Brown.

Prestige- Joy Jumper. 16". #035.0910

Devoucoux- Barritz model. Light brown. 17.5". #127.13

Amerigo- Brown. 17.5". Stamped Scrymgeour under the flap.

CWD- Brown. 17". Will update with Serial Number.

Prestige- Two tone- Chestnut with mahogany flaps. 17.5". [/B]

There was also tons of bridles and girths stolen, but I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we won’t be seeing them again. We’re not a big fancy show barn, and many of us are college-age that have had to save up for months- sometimes years- to get the nice things that we have. Fingers crossed that insurance can pull through to help us, and that karma catches up to the thieves!

Thanks guys.

Wow, sorry to hear this. I am in Calgary as well AND in the market for a 17.5" CC, so I will keep my eyes open and check the serials of anything I come across.

Hope you find them or your insurance pays for them…

I’ll keep my eyes open - bc lower mainland

http://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/4367779-stolen-saddles-tracked-to-ebay/

Watch Ebay and other tack sites like Tack Trader, Dressage Star, etc.

Years ago a bunch of English and western tack got stolen from our barn and several others in upstate NY. Some was eventually tracked down in Texas, but most not recovered, nor was the thief.

Get a hold of the Auction Marts as well. Yes getting full price for those quality saddles is great- but so is a few hundred bucks sold quickly. Yours wasn’t the only barn hit either by the sounds of it :frowning:

I’m in Red Deer so I’ll keep an eye out on Kijiji.

Make sure you contact Horse N Around consignment and Greenhawk in Red Deer. They both have bulletin boards for flyers.

Tudor Tack, Horse Life in Edmonton have consignment saddles. The Tack Collector, Horse Life, Equiproductsin Calgary do too. Also, Heartland saddlery in Okotoks.

It wouldn’t hurt to put our local CWD rep on alert.

So sorry to hear about this.

Crap, I will keep my eye out and let others at my barn know to be on the look out too! :frowning:

This sucks. I saw your Tweet about it. What a bunch of jerks!

Is there something on FB or a police report I can share there? With TBird in full swing it’s possible they could have come this way… lots of opportunity to sell…

[QUOTE=Ibex;7596156]
Is there something on FB or a police report I can share there? With TBird in full swing it’s possible they could have come this way… lots of opportunity to sell…[/QUOTE]

There’s a list I put on facebook that’s been shared about 250 times already, but unfortunately the insurance companies are the only ones with access to the police report. The list above is what I’ve been trying to send around to as many people as possible.

I actually sent Tbird an email, but I doubt there’s much they can do, as nobody really comes through the offices trying to sell saddles. If anyone you know or if anybody on COTH forums is at Tbird, please please post that list as many places as possible so they thieves don’t get the chance to go through the barns offering them for sale.

Fell free to copy past the info as much as you like!

I know quite a few people showing there… if you PM me contact info etc I can share it on FB :slight_smile:

You can contact eBay as well. If they know specifically that there has been a recent high $ theft and what to look for, they might be able to create a fraud watch script.