Unlimited access >

Help to idenity horse - Freeze Brand

A mare has come into the barn where I board and I’m evaluating her for a possible purchase. She is very nice and well trained but there is no information on her.

She was given to a guy who plans to take her to auction, she doesn’t even have a name. HOWEVER… she has a freeze brand: 48C42 ON THE RIGHT SIDE.

I’ve tried several links and nothing comes up for her and this is not the brand format for a standardbred. Any thoughts??

Picture
(if you are not a premium member, an of site host like Flickr or Photobucket, or FB if you must)

BLM mustangs are also freeze branded on the neck.

I’d start with dropping a call to your vet and farrier. Even though they probably won’t know the horse they may be familiar with the format of the brand and able to point you in the right direction.

Mustangs are branded with the alpha angle code. It won’t look anything like numbers or letters so you can rule that out.

It’s the wrong letters setup to be a Standarbred. Mustangs and Arabs use the symbols instead of letters/numbers. I don’t know of any other breed/registry that mandates a freeze brand, so you’re probably looking at a private party having had it done.

Can you find the number for your state’s brand authority? They should be able to help.

On the right side of what? Her neck?

Another thing you might want to consider is how legible is the brand? Could those first two numbers be letters instead? If you’re really determined to find out who the horse is will the guy that owns her let you clip the hair on her neck so maybe you can get a better read on the brand? I had to do that with my old mustang, clipped her brand and realized I had a couple of the symbols wrong.

If she’s really nice and the price is right I wouldn’t let lack of info from the brand stop me from buying though. Snap her up and then you’ve got all the time in the world to figure out who she is.

[QUOTE=trubandloki;8179635]
On the right side of what? Her neck?[/QUOTE]

I Know, right? I don’t know how we are supposed to know where this freeze brand actually is on the horse. Maybe on the right side of the left hip.

[QUOTE=GaitedGloryRider;8179649]
Another thing you might want to consider is how legible is the brand? Could those first two numbers be letters instead? If you’re really determined to find out who the horse is will the guy that owns her let you clip the hair on her neck so maybe you can get a better read on the brand? I had to do that with my old mustang, clipped her brand and realized I had a couple of the symbols wrong.[/QUOTE]

This. I’ll bet she is a STB and the brand isn’t totally clear. I had one with some of the digits halfway missing. No other breed brands 5 digits on the neck like that, unless it’s some strange personal brand. Likely that 8 is actually a B, which would make the format correct. (And make her a 2004 or about 11 years old if that seems right.) There’s still no horse with 4BC42 so one of the other characters may also be wrong. There’s a 4B642 (plain bay) and 4B042 (bay with star)

Clip her down to get a good look at them. Does she look like she could be a STB? Also, I did once ride at an Arab barn that freeze-branded so some other breeds might have them.

[QUOTE=danceronice;8179864]
Clip her down to get a good look at them. Does she look like she could be a STB? Also, I did once ride at an Arab barn that freeze-branded so some other breeds might have them.[/QUOTE]

Arabian brands also use the alpha angle system, and it has a big “A” looking character at the beginning.

It might be a privately-owned brand. Maybe from a ranch or recipient mare program?

[QUOTE=GaitedGloryRider;8179649]
Another thing you might want to consider is how legible is the brand? Could those first two numbers be letters instead? If you’re really determined to find out who the horse is will the guy that owns her let you clip the hair on her neck so maybe you can get a better read on the brand? I had to do that with my old mustang, clipped her brand and realized I had a couple of the symbols wrong.

If she’s really nice and the price is right I wouldn’t let lack of info from the brand stop me from buying though. Snap her up and then you’ve got all the time in the world to figure out who she is.[/QUOTE]

If this horse is younger than 14, the alpha characters would be the second two as each run through the alphabet moves the two alpha characters one place to the right. The first letter is the year, the second is more or less random and means nothing to anyone outside of SC and USTA.

I am having a hard time looking up my horse’s freezebrand, it is not legible. His registered name is WinterwoodVF+ any and all help is appreciated.

PS it is not on his papers, coggins or insurance records, I have looked thoroughly.

He’s an Arabian?
If he has the traditional freeze brand, the first thing there is the symbol for Arabian, then vertically the last 2 digits of his birth year, then horizontally his registration number. It uses the Alpha Angle system to represent the numbers. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:International_Alpha_Angle_System.jpg I imagine his birth year and registration number would both be on his papers, so all you would need to do is translate them into the symbols.