Unlimited access >

Help us find a barn/trainer near Baltimore!

Hi there, I’m relocating to Baltimore County after the holidays and I need to find the perfect spot for my horse! She’s in full care stall board right now but could possibly live out if the field had nice run-ins. Great care is important. She’s currently turned out with two mares and a gelding, friends with everyone and not the alpha. She is, however, an OTTB and keeping weight on requires two high quality grain meals and great grass/lots of hay. Room to run a plus. Indoor ring a necessity. Trails would be nice. I’ve always preferred smaller barns to the huge, busy types.

As for training, I’m an adult amateur. I’ve been back at riding for 2.5 years, but it took me a year to find a good trainer and 2.5 years is nothing in dressage. I need someone willing to work on foundation skills with me. My horse is green, less than a year under saddle since restarting, but my current trainer thinks she could eventually get to FEI. At this time, my horse is not in training, but I take two lessons a week religiously. I’d prefer to stick to the lesson format and keep working together with her rather have training as a part of board requirements. If all other factors were met, I might consider an eventing barn, but my heart is really in dressage.

Any and all suggestions appreciated, Internet searches haven’t turned up much and there aren’t current threads on the area in forums.

you didn’t say where in Baltimore county, but how about olney farm, just across the border from Baltimore county, in Joppa, Harford county. they have everything that you would like to have

[QUOTE=sonata;8960090]
you didn’t say where in Baltimore county, but how about olney farm, just across the border from Baltimore county, in Joppa, Harford county. they have everything that you would like to have[/QUOTE]

Sorry, still learning the area. We’re house shopping around Towson. I think anywhere in Baltimore County would work, and probably parts of Harford County, but I’m hoping to find something closer than, for instance, Woodbine or down towards Annapolis. I don’t know if the options are there, but in a perfect world I’d keep it within a half hour drive of home. We’ve been spoiled so far, she’s right down the road the moment.

I’m sure others can chime in with personal recommendations, but the Equiery Magazine is also a great resource for all things horse-related in Maryland. You can click on the right side to flip through the current issue.
http://equiery.com/

I know you said you’d prefer closer than Woodbine (I do that and my job is moving from near BWI to Bowie, that’s going to be rough) but Elevation Dressage (Dominique Carson) had a spot open as of a couple weeks ago at Sunset Ridge, not sure if that’s still available or if she has one at her other sites.

Check out Petticoat’s Advance. I boarded there 15 years ago, but was very happy with the care. The owner was very nice, gave a lot of thought to herd dynamics for turnout, and accommodated my feeding program for a hardish-keeping TB. At that time they brought in top level dressage clinicians pretty regularly.

you have a PM

Barbara Strawson is an amazing rider, trainer and instructor, as well as one of the nicest people ever!

www.barbarastrawson.com

We are just past Damascus on rte 27 off of rte 70 if you want to check the distance. We’ve had Baltimore boarders and some of our clients work in Baltimore.

Maryland is a wealth of educated and talented equine professionals. I was fortunate enough to be a working student for Marija Trieschman at Exalt Farm for a year and was thrilled with her knowledge of classical dressage. She has trained with some of Europe’s finest, and was the first trainer who was really able to help me make a breakthrough with my tense abuse case.