Unlimited access >

Help Virginia-ites with boarding choices

I am calling on all you in-the-know people from Virginia. I have a barn buddy that is having to move to Herndon, VA. She has a talented 4yr TB that she is riding dressage.

I thought maybe this knowledgable bunch might have some hints on boarding options for her. She did say something about the Ashburn area.

Good arena, safe turnout, a good dressage instructor, obviously good feeding program are her priorities.

If you want you can email me, or respond here.

I am very sad to see her go, so it’s important that she be in a good place.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Certainly this is not all the information out there, is it? Don’t be shy.

Earlier thread in Eventing on Boarding

Ashburn doesn’t have tons of farms, it is now a sea of houses, but the above thread mentioned many barns.

Here are a few barns I can think of, with which major roads they are off of (so she can view a map).

Cavallo Farms (Kennett Square) is off of Rt. 50, not far from Ashburn, Fox Chase Farms is in Middleburg, a couple of miles east of M’burg on Rt. 50 (Formerly Paperchase), Compass Rose Farms (JGrass is on here) is w/in commuting distance, down off of Rt. 15 South of Rt. 50 , HayMarket there, with Fairview Horse Center (find a post from her to get her website), there are a few small farms in Fairfax County, Angelica Run is in Oakton on Hunter Mill Road, between Rt. 267 (aka Dulles Toll Road) and Rt. 123.

There are several farms on Rt. 15 south of Rt. 50, one is called Sunny Day Farm (I think).

There is a property on the north side of Rt. 50 not far from Cavallo that has 3 boarding barns on the same property, on of which is Greenway riding stables (they have rental horses)…and while I should remember the name of the others, I cannot.

Depending on what she wants, how far she wants to drive she may look at private barns, that board one or two horses.

Maybe some others will add to this, or add corrections if I’ve gotten any names wrong.

Unfortunately, your friend is moving to an area which has lost a lot of horse property to suburban McMansions.

A few more suggestions – Bentwood is a smaller barn close to Middleburg. It is run by a good local trainer who competes in dressage and also coaches lower level eventing students. This may be a good option if she doesn’t want to be at a big boarding facility.I can’t tell you much about the barn, because I’ve never been there, but I see Debbie regularly at events and dressage shows and she seems to keep a consistent clientele. Contact Debbie Marriott at 703/263-7340.

Lucia Farm in Lovettsville is a bigger barn with an indoor etc. Instruction in CT and Dressage from Dru Roia, who is a Morven Park grad. Dru’s number is: 540/882-4421.

You or your friend are welcome to e-mail me privately and I can give you some additional information about barns and trainers. Also, your friend should try to get a copy of the Northern Virginia Horseman’s Reference (703/737-0126). This spiral bound guide sells for around $15.00 and lists everything horse related including boarding barns, farriers, trainers, trailer repair garages etc…
Kathy

I am calling on all you in-the-know people from Virginia. I have a barn buddy that is having to move to Herndon, VA. She has a talented 4yr TB that she is riding dressage.

I thought maybe this knowledgable bunch might have some hints on boarding options for her. She did say something about the Ashburn area.

Good arena, safe turnout, a good dressage instructor, obviously good feeding program are her priorities.

If you want you can email me, or respond here.

I am very sad to see her go, so it’s important that she be in a good place.

I recomend the place where I board.

http://www.hedgelandstable.com/

Great arenas, both indoor and out, small group turnout, good feeding and only about 20 minutes from Herndon. Dressage instructor on the premises, as well as another nationaly known instructor located next door (within hacking distance).

Alison Head is in Hamilton, VA (near Leesburg). I know a couple of people that ride with her and really enjoy it. She was short (or maybe it was long) listed for the Olympics