Unlimited access >

Help with buying used CWD saddles & pricing

Hi!
So I’ve decided that I’m interested in buying a CWD as my first saddle. I don’t own my own horse so I would need a saddle with a pro-panel.

I was wondering if anybody on here has a CWD with a pro panel and if they could tell me how they are when it comes to comfort and fitting to multiple horses?

Also, the biggest thing in this process for me is to get a USED saddle since I would rather have a saddle that is already broken in.

Also, I was looking at the 2G and it’s quite a beautiful saddle and I’ve heard people rave about how nice they are but the only ones I’ve seen used and for sale are all $4500 and up and that’s WAY out of my price range since my limit is $2500-$3000 at most.

Either I’m going to have my trainer help me find a CWD or go directly through the Sellier and have a rep come out.

Anybody have any experience with pricing on used CWD’s and where they are based around and if my price range is even plausible to find a nice CWD for that amount of money?

Any suggestions and comments would be great! (;

MD Tack Exchange

High End Used Saddles

Fine Used Saddles

Your CWD rep, Antares rep, various odd tack shops, etc, etc.

All their saddles are lovely so I don’t think you need to yearn after the 2G.
If you haven’t ridden in many CWD’s, start with your rep who will have various demo saddles, usually with the “pro-panel”, various seat/flap architectures etc.
You need to figure out what combination fits you best.

I have a saddle with the pro panels and I like it a lot. I didn’t buy my saddle meaning to get the pro panels, they just fit my horse perfectly right away. It is convenient that I can use it for other horses too so that is a plus, they all seem to like it fine. You just need to make sure you check the fit for the horse you are riding before hand. I tried the 4G and really didn’t like it at all, and neither did my horse. However, a couple of the girls at my barn liked it but still didn’t get it due to the price.

I recently bought a used CWD 2G with pro panels and it seems to fit my gelding very well- nice wide integrated panels that seem to distribute weight better. If you are trying to get the most saddle for your money, figure out exactly what seat/flap specs you want and try to find one for sale directly from the owner. I bought mine off a fb group and paid $3600, which was MUCH less than similarly priced saddles from a retailer or consignment. They generally add 20% to the price, so you are going to pay a lot more for the opportunity to take it on trial (which obviously isn’t usually an option buying from a private seller). I will say that I didn’t love the way it fit me at first, but I have grown to love it. I can’t comment specifically on the fit for multiple horses, since I haven’t tried it on others.
I have seen very nice CWDs for under 3k from private sellers, but I don’t think they had pro panels.

I had pro panels on my CWD and it did fit a number of different horses I rode although not every one, no saddle will. You should definitely be able to find a used one in your price range; I sold mine which was in exceptional condition for $2,950. Your CWD rep should have a big selection of used ones, at least mine did. And check fineusedsaddles.com, Patricia has a great reputation and she seems to always have a lot of CWDs.