Unlimited access >

Help with city SoCal

Hi everyone I’m new to the forum. I just moved to Burbank and I put up 10x12 stable and the city is giving me the run around. I turned in what I was going to do and the building manager said since it was 120 sq ft that it didn’t require a permit.

Well after putting the stable up the city seems to have changed their mind, and the manager no longer works for the city. I can’t find a code that says the structure needs to be permitted. Castlebrook barns even said CA building code didn’t require a permit for something this size.

Are there any other Burbank horse owners who can give me some helpful info, and advice on how to go about dealing with the city please?

As it stands I’ve asked the city to provide me with the code that states my structure needs a permit. It’s been a week, but total dealing with them has been a year. I tore down a previous 144 sq ft structure to not deal with the mess of a permit because of the whole 120 sq ft thing not needing a permit.

Here is the infor straight from the City of Burbank website. It may need Planning approval in regards to setbacks. http://www.burbankca.gov/departments/community-development/building/homeowners/when-is-a-permit-required-

[QUOTE=PonyPenny;8513685]
Here is the infor straight from the City of Burbank website. It may need Planning approval in regards to setbacks. http://www.burbankca.gov/departments/community-development/building/homeowners/when-is-a-permit-required-[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I have read that before. It doesn’t mention that stables are excluded from the 120 sq ft code. In fact this document was what the previous city manager went over with me to approve the stable.

I’m wondering if anyone who has had experience with the city of Burbank could help.

I haven’t had experience with the city of Burbank, I lived further north, but I would call my structure a free standing shed or playhouse and have done with it, then put the horse in it.
I presume you are zoned for ag use, if not you’ll need a variance and I’d just wait for them to show up with a letter and then politely ask what you need to do to get the variance, and “how much shall I write the check for?”

[QUOTE=M.Elric;8513992]
Thank you! I have read that before. It doesn’t mention that stables are excluded from the 120 sq ft code. In fact this document was what the previous city manager went over with me to approve the stable.

I’m wondering if anyone who has had experience with the city of Burbank could help.[/QUOTE]

It is still an accessory structure and why would the City Manager be talking with you at all? It would be the Building Official who has knowledge of the Building Code. All California cities use the 2013 California Building Code. Is your property zoned for Ag use? Not all properties are even those in the Rancho District. The Planning Department is where you start with questions about ag use and setbacks.

Your problem may be with this
http://www.burbankca.gov/departments/community-development/planning-transportation

http://www.burbankca.gov/home/showdocument?id=30968

"“Floor Area”: The total gross floor area of all enclosed structures on the property, including but not limited to the main dwelling structure, accessory structures, second dwelling units, enclosed patios, and sheds. Garages (and carports) and certain balconies shall be included in Floor Area as follows:

a) Garages (and carports) over 400 sq. feet included in Floor Area: Garages (or carports) or portions thereof up to 400 square feet shall not be included in the calculation of Floor Area. All Garages (or carports) that exceed 400 sq. ft. shall have the excess square footage included in Floor Area. Porte Cochere that is12 feet to the top of the plate with no second story above it does not count towards FAR.

This went into effect May of 2015, so you would need to prove your structure was up before that date.

D_Bald, would this not fall under this http://www.burbankca.gov/home/showdocument?id=2367 though, at 120 sq ft detached?

Regardless, zoning and setbacks need to be addressed. As I said I’m not from down there, but a variance may sometimes be issued for purposes of zoning AND other issues, but don’t make the neighbors angry . . .

This specifically addresses non-commercial corrals and stables. http://www.burbankca.gov/home/showdocument?id=9190 . This is a zoning issue which is handled by the Planning Department not the Building Department.

Here is the definition of an accessory structure which includes corrals. http://www.burbankca.gov/home/showdocument?id=9197

Hi everyone! Thank you for all the attention to this!
Trying to address everyone here.

Yes I am zoned for horses. I live in Burbank Rancho, My zoning is R1H. H=Horse zoning.
I am working with the city Plan Check Manager for the Building Division.

The setbacks are 3’. Which I comply with. I’m at 3’10". It’s a 120 sq ft structure no higher than 10’.

I have proof of me dealing with the city since 11/2014. It’s an ongoing issue.

I really have wasted thousands of dollars on this project now because of the run around. Should I consider hiring a lawyer?

Is there a development review board to whom you could appeal?

This is odd. It is the Planning Department that approves the location and setbacks for a corral. There are additional setbacks for corrals than a standard accessory building. All the Building Department does is approve the structure based upon the code. If your structure is 120 sf or under, you do not need a Building Permit. Go to you neighbors with corrals and talk to them about the city approval process. You can also review planning and permit history on any address in Burbank as it is public record. Good luck.

[QUOTE=M.Elric;8514840]
Hi everyone! Thank you for all the attention to this!
Trying to address everyone here.

Yes I am zoned for horses. I live in Burbank Rancho, My zoning is R1H. H=Horse zoning.
I am working with the city Plan Check Manager for the Building Division.

The setbacks are 3’. Which I comply with. I’m at 3’10". It’s a 120 sq ft structure no higher than 10’.

I have proof of me dealing with the city since 11/2014. It’s an ongoing issue.[/QUOTE]

Did you get a letter or email from the City specifically telling you what to do?

The long version of my story.

This all started when my neighbor complained to the city that I put up a horse stable, even though there are horses on all sides of him. He’s just a crazy old man.

Some of the codes that were posted above I understand as saying no permit for under 300 sq ft accessory structure. Which is why I had initially put up a 12x12 stable/shed.

The city got involved and said I needed a permit so I went through the permitting process. Eventually I tore it down because of all the changes they wanted done to it. It was cheaper to put up a new one. I hired CastleBrook because I wanted someone who would put up a really good stable that would meet codes if the city gave me a hard time again.

So because of my neighbor I have to be by the book on everything. The new stable went up and I had to go to the animal shelter to register my horse and they said they needed the city to check for permits for a stable to keep a horse.

The building inspector came out and said I need a permit because it’s a horse stable. I showed her emails confirming it didn’t because it’s under 120 sq ft and she said because it’s a horse stable it needs a permit. Fine.

I went down to the city with her and lo and behold they have new city plan check manager who now wants me to provide plans. Which I’m now having to order from CastleBrook Barns. It seems like every time I deal with them they’re coming up with something different than what the last person was saying.

I haven’t provided them with the plans yet, but from their visit they said a few things need to be changed in order to get a permit. I really think they’re just giving me the run around.

I wish there was a development review board. I will have to research to find out. I tried to find the Burbank Rancho Home Owners Association, because they defend rights on the Rancho, but I can’t find a name or contact number for them. They’re not really an HOA just a group.