Unlimited access >

Help with cross country boots rubbing!

Recently I’ve been having problems with cross country boots rubbing my horse’s legs. I’ve tried baby powder and tube socks to stop the rubbing but have had no success.

I have a large collection of cross country boots (Eskadrons, PE, Ecogold, Dalmar, NEW) and have tried each of them on my horse. The eskadrons and ecogolds do not rub but they are too small around the leg and if I go up a size then they will be too large. The Dalmars and PE’s fit the best but give terrible rubs on my poor guy. NEWs don’t fit at all and rub. My horse is a 17 hand TB with pretty average legs so I’m surprised I’m having trouble with fit.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help make the boots that fit NOT rub? Or do I need to try some other boots(like Magyk Equipes, Prolites or Kentucky)? What have you found useful in preventing rubs from boots?

Sorry, I know there are a lot of posts about cross country boots but when I did a search I could not find an answer. If there is a thread that does I would appreciate a link! Thank you in advance for your help!

I love my Kentucky boots but find them short. I doubt they will fit a 17H. horse. They fit my 16.2-16.2 TB really well.

Where are they rubbing? I’m rather surprised that they still rub with Tubi-socks.

They are rubbing behind his knee and on the sides of his fetlock. I think the cut of the boots, where it dips down, must pinch him even with the socks because it is the common feature in the boots that rub him. I probably should have mentioned I do not have a problem with back boots rubbing!

correction: I originally said pastern but I meant fetlock, oops.

[QUOTE=Vani;7423798]
They are rubbing behind his knee and on the sides of his pastern. I think the cut of the boots, where it dips down, must pinch him even with the socks because it is the common feature in the boots that rub him. I probably should have mentioned I do not have a problem with back boots rubbing![/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need the shorter boot if it is rubbing behind his knee. Maybe the Kentucky would work for him…

Thank you, I’ll try to see if I can find a pair of the Kentucky fronts to try on him.

I tried to put the PEs on him further down because of the rubs but they still happened. There actually seems to be MORE space between the boot and back of knee on the boots that rub him than in the ones that don’t. Honestly the strangest booting situation I’ve ever had.

I don’t have much to add other than I also didn’t like how the ecogold boots (hinds) fit my horse, and the Premiere Equine boots gave my mare rubs. I now have a set of majyk equipe boots, but haven’t tried them out yet :slight_smile: The ME boots seem to mold to the legs, which I think will help my sensitive girl.

if i had the $$ i really love the kentucky boots (but again I haven’t tried those on her either!) - they feel like they would also conform to the leg and offer great protection.

What about good ol Woof boots? Also, Ecogold sometimes does custom fit…so you could shoot them off an email and see.

[QUOTE=Jealoushe;7425058]
What about good ol Woof boots? Also, Ecogold sometimes does custom fit…so you could shoot them off an email and see.[/QUOTE]

Haha! I actually use Woof boots for everyday rides and I wish I could feel confident using them cross country. My boy sometimes drags his legs on fences(old steeplechaser habits) and the one time I xc schooled with them on he ripped them. Go figure :rolleyes:

EventingJ-I think I’m one bad rub away from buying the MEs. They are so reasonably priced I figured if I didn’t like them I’d be able to pass them along easily.

What about Porters? They are a pain but they worked on a sensitive TB I had. The only downside was that I could not use them 2 days in a row in sand, or they would rub (e.g. at a clinic).