Unlimited access >

Help with stirrup leathers (Gary Mundy)

Hey! So I have a quick question about the Gary Mundy stirrup leathers: if I’m 5’6 what length do you suggest that I’d need?

(The reason I ask is because I guess he measures them differently, which I read on a paper he emails out to people who’re interested in his products…could be wrong but that’s just the way I read it)

Anyone with previous experience or have bought these leathers I’d love to hear about them.

I’m 5’5 and have the 52’ length.
I got the nylon core type. They’re beautiful and well worth the price :slight_smile:

Really depends on your body/leg proportions. Talk to him and he will point you in the right direction…

I’m 5’4 but ride in child’s leathers (48"). I ordered my Mundy Leathers in 48" and they’re perfect.

1. Go to barn.

2. Get your saddle out.

3. Adjust leathers to your flatwork length.

4. Measure from the buckle to where the stirrup leather folds into the stirrup iron. Double that measurement.

5. Now measure the bight, meaning the spare leather that runs from the buckle down to the stirrup leather keeper. Measure however far you like the bight to stick out behind the keeper.

Add #4 to #5. Adjust up or down depending on how much you expect the leathers to stretch, whether there are multiple riders who use the saddle, whether you ever ride with your stirrups exceptionally short or long, etc. And there’s your stirrup leather measurement for Gary.

I am 5’ tall, and I ordered 50" leathers from Gary thinking they would be perfect, as the standard 54" in other brands are always too long for me. I love the leathers, but I wish I had ordered 52". I have had them for awhile now, and they have not stretched as much as I expected.

I suggest following jn4jenny’s advice.

[QUOTE=jn4jenny;7379306]

1. Go to barn.

2. Get your saddle out.

3. Adjust leathers to your flatwork length.

4. Measure from the buckle to where the stirrup leather folds into the stirrup iron. Double that measurement.

5. Now measure the bight, meaning the spare leather that runs from the buckle down to the stirrup leather keeper. Measure however far you like the bight to stick out behind the keeper.

Add #4 to #5. Adjust up or down depending on how much you expect the leathers to stretch, whether there are multiple riders who use the saddle, whether you ever ride with your stirrups exceptionally short or long, etc. And there’s your stirrup leather measurement for Gary.[/QUOTE]

jn4jenny FTW! :slight_smile: And I totally agree with Dewey. If you rotate your leathers even occasionally and use a mounting block, they will retain their original length surprisingly well.

look at my helpful links pages page one tell you how to measure english riding stirrups correctly

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?178116-helpful-links

I’m 5’4" and my Beval 48" are the perfect length with maybe 2" of bight beyond the keeper. Is it safe to go off other stirrup maker’s lengths? I followed jn4jenny’s suggestion and also got 48", but after reading other posts I’m worried about getting them too short. thoughts?

Having this problem too. I just measured my stirrups at 52" but I had to add four holes to make them adjustable to me. I’m thinking about going to a 50", but I see people shorter than be saying to go for 52". I’m thinking of just going for 52", doing the half hole pattern, and asking him to add a few extra holes at the top just in case.