Unlimited access >

Help With Trail/ Ranch Show Outfit

Hooray! I’m glad they fit and you like them!

1 Like

CR Sun Smart shirts are the best! https://crranchwear.com/collections/sunsmart

If you are hesitant on the price, they have great resale value on Facebook. You can sell for almost what you paid for them.

I myself am kinda picky. I use nothing except the Ariat Probaby boots. They aren’t fatbabys, but they do look similar. I like them because they are comfortable. I can wear them all day doing things outside (fixing fence, yardwork, etc) and they work great in the saddle. But they are getting harder to find. I should really buy like 2-3 pair now so that I have them on hand as I wear a pair out!!

Cowgirl Tuff makes breathable shirts. I don’t have one of these specific ones myself but I have seen them in person and they are pretty neat. Lots of solid colors and extra bonus is no real buttons!! (no female wants buttons able to burst open … right? :wink: )

I do also have a Ranch Dressn shirt but those are more wild bright colors but you can find solid colors too. I like the stretchy material and the false buttons too.

Kinda depends. Western pleasure has more bling whereas ranch riding wants to be more plain.

I have some older Wrangler Q-babys that I love because they are stretchy.
I also have some Idyllwind jeans (by miranda Lambert) that are also stretchy.
Honestly, I just go to Boot Barn and try a ton on and see what fits and what is comfortable!

I show AQHA ranch horse and I wear my Tipperary helmet. So wear your helmet if you want!!

Hmmm, gloves I am not really sure about for that. I would probably ditch them when you actually are in the show pen.

1 Like

Thank for the detailed response and the lead one those shirts! I have several from both brands sitting in my cart now :woman_facepalming::joy: Just need to narrow it down a bit! I really like the Ranch Dressin colors but am worried about being a bit too wild for ranch riding and competitive trail.

I’ve never been matchy-matchy, either. But I’ve learned the importance of coordinating my outfit with my saddle blanket. It’s a thing. A very spendy thing. Fortunately, my trainer has several stacks of them in her tackroom and we all rummage through them if we happen to buy a shirt and lack a blanket that matches it.

That’s so awesome that the boots from @endlessclimb fit! Once you’re all gussied up, post a photo so we can see what we helped create. :smile:

2 Likes

Yucca Flats and Erin Rhea make beautiful ranch pads…drool…

1 Like

Man oh MAN looking at saddle blankets is a rabbit hole for sure! Saguaro has so many beautiful pads. I would like to find a used one but haven’t had much luck so far. I did score 2 pairs of stretchy bootcut jeans at my local thrift store (Savers) for a grand total of $16 - I got a medium and a darker wash so I have at least two options. Picked up an Ariat belt on EBay for just under $40, so I feel like I’m doing pretty good not spending a ton. So naturally, I went ahead and ordered two shirts from Cowgirl Tuff :woman_facepalming: I got the steel grey button down (REALLY wanted the black one but it’s sold out) and a cooling t-shirt. I like the fact that they are UPF rated and I’m hoping they are as breathable as they claim.

2 Likes

Ranch Dressn has loads of technical fabric shirts meant to rodeo in - prints and plain colors alike. Also they have lots of denim jean options. Created by professional barrel racers, so the garments are intended to perform and look good in hot weather, with ease of care.

2 Likes

I’m like 95% there to a complete show outfit! My belt and Cowgirl stuff shirts and new bit (so I don’t have to swap the bit from bridle to bridle, these western tie headstalls are too much work lol) all came today and the Ariat shirts came yesterday. The Cowgirl Tuff is AMAZING! The fabric is so light and soft and stretchy. It’s a clear winner by a LOT over the various Ariat shirts (ordered the Kirby Stretch which had 0 stretch, the Outbound which was nice but not professional looking enough for the show ring in my opinion, and the Ventech which I didn’t even get out to try on). The CT shirt came extremely fast, arriving a day earlier than originally expected. I ordered a size down based on reviews but feel another size down would give a better fit in the sleeves and a little more shape in the body so I ordered the black in the next size down. If it works, I’ll exchange the grey for the different size if not I’ll return the black and wait for it come available in my size. The t shirt I got is nice too (same Breathe fabric) but SO long oh my word. I don’t know if it can be hemmed or shortened, I hope so as it’s almost comically long but I am keeping it for the fabric and sun protection.

Last piece to decide on is a saddle blanket. I’ve found a couple that I like ish but nothing I love yet. I may just get something cheap that is decent enough. I’ve been looking at these 3, the Saguaro and StateLineTack both seem too busy for me (I’m used to colored piping on a pad being “wild”) and the Toklat may not be the turquoise shade I’m going for (it looks more like a mint color?).

Ranch pads used to be more plain (i.e. when I was first getting into showing ranch pleasure just before the pandemic), but now I see a lot of pattern and color in the show pen. People tend to wear plain shirts and dress up their look with the pad. Just what I’ve seen so far this year, YMMV.

1 Like

Yeah, once again, I feels ya’.

Yes, I was once you, too. But alas, I have slurped the western show pen Kool-aid. And now, these are the sorts of saddle blankets with which I have become familiar. (These are used over the top of a thin felt pad).

I have a couple of these. One is quite… purple. My hunter trainer friends would just die. :laughing:

One thing to ease your mind: Your western saddle covers up a certain amount of the pattern, so in essence the blanket’s color and pattern “trims” the outline of your saddle.

2 Likes