Hi all! I’m normally a H/J + part time Dressage rider, but am expanding my experience to local level western pleasure, nonstock halter, ranch riding, and trail with a goal of taking my young horse to the Thoroughbred Incentive Program Championships in KY in Oct for said events. I have a headstall, working on getting some split reins for it (currently using bright blue barrel reins), a trail saddle with a round skirt, grey square pad, but am missing just about everything I need to look the part. I don’t have riding jeans, a nice button down, cowboy boots, or a “western” belt (my belts are the elastic ones that are in style with the English world, and boy are they comfy). So I’m looking for recommendations!
- Cowboy boots: I’d like it if they were comfortable enough to walk around in, pointy or at least a narrow square toe (round toes are a hard no), and regular height as I don’t like the look of the fat baby type boots. I’ve tried on some at Rural King and TSC but the options are extremely limited and none were real winners. I’m hesitant to order something online for fear of them being too stiff/ uncomfortable. A nice distressed brown with minimal “bling” or color would be a bonus.
- A nice button down shirt: Do they make these in a dry-fit type fabric? I’m in the midwest and it is HOT so a cooling type fabric would be best. Not sure what color I want, likely something neutral.
- Belt: Are there any new things to see with belts? Or just whichever leather belt suits my fancy will do?
- Jeans: Oh boy. I love my breeches and leggings that I ride in in my English gear as they are breathable and STRETCH. Any riding (or even regular?? I don’t wear regular jeans really either) jeans that stretch and aren’t miserably hot/ thick? Preferably a mid or higher rise.
- I ride in my Tipperary helmet due to young horse antics and wanting to be safe - will that be okay? Or do I need to get a hat? Or a hat helmet? I’d prefer not to spend too, too much since it isn’t my main discipline.
- Gloves: I almost always wear gloves, are gloves okay for trail and ranch? Do I need to get a different color than black?
Are there any faux pas I should know about?