Unlimited access >

Help with Yawning

Hello everyone,

Recently I have stumbled multiple articles stating that when horses yawn it can be a sign of discomfort or pain. Other times, it says that they could be drowsy just as people get. These theories have provoked a bit of thought in me because, every time I bridle my mare, she yawns consecutively three or four times before I get my arm over her head and slide the bit in, because her yawning starts as soon as I go to get the bridle. She doesn’t yawn when I ride, and she will yawn once, or maybe twice after I take out the bit, but that is the only time she does. Her teeth were checked just eight months ago and she seemed perfectly fine then, so I’m unsure of what could be causing her grief, if anything.

Any comments and opinions will be appreciated.

Horses also yawn when they are relaxed, especially if they are yawning with a “soft eye” and “soft ears”. My horse yawns when being groomed, especially after a ride (even if the ride is only 10 minutes). He also “drops” when he’s happy. I give my horse sugar cubes after I bridle and he drops when I pick up the bridle.

My horse enjoys working, and very much enjoys the routine of working. Maybe your horse enjoys it, too? Maybe she just likes to stretch her jaw before the bit goes in?

Yawning is also a sign when a horse is releasing areas of tension. I know that I’m really making progress with a massage when my horse starts to yawn. Same with acupuncture – as soon as the horse starts to relax it starts to yawn.

Right, as Bogie said, something is tight around the jaw possible poll. Have someone (a professional) who is familiar with such things and might be able to help with some kind of acupressure analysis.

I’ve known numerous horses of various ages, breeds, disciplines, etc. who give massive yawns before or after bridling. I think some learn that once they are bridled and have a noseband on it creates some restriction and they yawn to get in the stretch before bridling.

My late mare had a sensitive poll. After I removed the halter she wanted full face rubs, poll massage, and would yawn 4-5 times before turning her head to be bridled. I kept up with chiro, massage, dentals, etc. so we never found a potential pain source.

No personal experience, but I remember reading that yawning can be indicative of irritation in the throat (i.e. dust?), but if it’s just happening when your bridling, I’m not sure that fits!

Elliot has a 6 yawn ritual that he does once the halter comes off and I’m about to put his bridle on. He does it with soft eyes and a lowered head. He gets regular dental amd chiropractic and no one has ever picked up on an issue. I think it’s just a way to get a last stretch in before the bridle goes on.

My boy holds tension in his jaw, and gets it adjusted regularly. He does a lot of yawning before and after bridling but the only other tell is attempting to jog him in hand when it needs to be adjusted and as far as I can tell it does not bother him as long as I ride well.

My vet says it can be a sign of illness or pain. My mare,who we discovered has an autoimmune disease starts yawning excessively before symptoms develop. We have learn to pay close attention to her when she starts yawning.
We aren’t talking about an occasional yawn. In your case OP, since the yawning starts with the bridle, Iwould check the fit of the bit, fit of the bridle, and if something has gone wrong with her teeth. The answer is there somewhere.

[QUOTE=Duramax;8343499]
Elliot has a 6 yawn ritual that he does once the halter comes off and I’m about to put his bridle on. He does it with soft eyes and a lowered head. He gets regular dental amd chiropractic and no one has ever picked up on an issue. I think it’s just a way to get a last stretch in before the bridle goes on.[/QUOTE]

This sounds exactly like what Faith does. It always starts when the halter comes off. When I ride her the bit or bridle doesn’t irritate her and she responds well to it. Also, she gives me no trouble messing with her mouth, so I think it could just be her stretching?

Most of the yawning I’ve seen has been a release of tension.

My stallion, Boleem, would yawn about 10 times just before putting on the bridle…same thing, head lowered, soft eye. It was his “routine” getting ready for work – and he loved his work. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Duramax;8343499]
Elliot has a 6 yawn ritual that he does once the halter comes off and I’m about to put his bridle on. He does it with soft eyes and a lowered head. He gets regular dental amd chiropractic and no one has ever picked up on an issue. I think it’s just a way to get a last stretch in before the bridle goes on.[/QUOTE]

Same here, although he is not fixated on 6 yawns. I’ve always thought it was stretching before the noseband went on.

OP, are you sure those articles are from a source that you can trust? There are a lot of misinformation out there, you know.

[QUOTE=walktrot;8345475]
Same here, although he is not fixated on 6 yawns. I’ve always thought it was stretching before the noseband went on.[/QUOTE]

I always thought it was getting any hay/debris out of his mouth.

Whatever it was…it was a pleasurable thing for him and his way of getting ready for work.

Of course, yawning can also be a symptom of colic, especially in young foals.

Remember, horses can only express themselves in a few ways, but must be interpreted correcting.

A “roll”…can just be wanting to self-groom – or it can is a sign of a colic.

“Pawing”…can be just having fun in play, or at the feed tub enjoying a meal or just before going down for a "back scratch) – or can be a severe demonstration of pain somewhere (i.e. colic or even a fever).

Laying down “flat”, can just be a deep sleep or in the winter outside just a sunbath…but may also be a sign of illness/distress.

One cannot pigeon-hole every signal as to one thing or the other. Have to really judge the circumstances.

If a horse yawns before the bridle is put on, then maybe it’s just trying to prep itself for work, whether be anticipating a noseband, or just getting some quid out of the mouth before the bit goes in. IME, unless it accompanies other signs of physical distress, it’s nothing something to worry about or seek to stop. Horses tend to seek what they need.

No help, but I rode a mare that did the same thing. She always looked relaxed and happy, but as soon as I’d take off her halter she’d yawn three times, every time! I thought it was funny!

Yes, definitely. There were enough of the articles too that it caused some doubt, especially since they all agreed on the fact that yawning is a symptom of pain.

This post is the first, that I ever heard of yawning as symptoms of pain. Not sure where you got those articles, OP, but my own experiences have been the opposite.

Now, grinding teeth? Yeah start to look for ulcer.

[QUOTE=Gloria;8349113]
This post is the first, that I ever heard of yawning as symptoms of pain. Not sure where you got those articles, OP, but my own experiences have been the opposite.

Now, grinding teeth? Yeah start to look for ulcer.[/QUOTE]

That can be seen, especially in a foal during a colic or other pain even…rarely in an older horse, but it can happen.

But unless yawning is accompanied by other acute symptoms of pain not to worry.

When it comes them doing that pre or post bridling with lazy, soft eyes it should be of no concern.

Horses only can express themselves as few ways. Pawing, rolling, yawning. Some of these expressions are purely horse expressing pleasure. The same things can also be the way they express pain.

No cookie cutter thing here. Very important to understand the difference. Don’t freak out for one set of these, then freak out for the same set of these.

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

My Gelding yawns about 4-7 times before being bridled. I just assume he’s stretching his jaw. He’s always done it, it’s never been an issue. It’s just his routine.

Horse has had multiple massages and chiro, no one has every said anything about his neck/head. Just something he’s always done. He loves to yawn though, does it in his stall, during massages. He’s not stressed, he’s a chill guy.