Unlimited access >

Henbit and horses - Toxic?

We are brand new equine owners - our pony Sebastian is arriving on April 12th! While we have been diligently working to get everything ready for him, we have had a blooming of what I thought was a lovely weed. When I read up about it, to make sure it would be ok with Seb, I discovered that this weed is Henbit. I am 99% positive. I found two references stating that Henbit can cause issues with cattle and horses but nothing beyond that. I have also read that is really hard to get rid of once you have it and it has bloomed. I am at a bit of a loss right now as to what to do.

Does anyone have personal experience with it?

Thank you so much, I am so nervous and anxious to get everything right for Seb!

sounds like it is not a big problem in the USA. Also it will die out in the spring.

https://extension.unl.edu/Horses%20Mouth%204-15-16.pdf

Thank you for the reply. This was one of the two articles that I read that mentioned it could cause problems. Hopefully it will just die soon!

A quick Google search came up with two links that said it is toxic to horses, cattle, and sheep, but the term toxicity covers a wide range of effects from causing mild digestive upset to being fatal. Henbit (Lanium amplexicaule) is not listed in the ASPCA database for toxic plants, but although that list is one of the best, it is not all-encompassing.

The existing toxic plant lists are not comprehensive and do not always include level of toxicity or how attractive these plants are to your horses. Just to be safe, I would NOT allow this to grow in pastures, corrals, or anywhere your horses are free to graze. (I admit that I’m paranoid.)

Don’t be afraid to use your county’s ag/horticulture extension agent as a resource :slight_smile: They know your environment.

2 Likes

Henbit is a very common winter weed here in NC and is found in a lot of pastures and fields. I’ve never known there to be any issues with it with horses and it’s not considered to be toxic.

From Nebraska Extension:

A little henbit will usually not cause any problems. The best policy is of course is to use caution, especially in heavily infested areas. I mention that because of the fact that we are seeing this weed in pastures,this year too. As for toxicity, we’re primarily safe. But that being said, it has been considered a causative for “staggers” in sheep, horses, and cattle in Australia. Sheep particularly in Australia have been reported to exhibit hunched back, stiff back legs, tremors or shivering, and in rare cases may die if driven.

This is why I would be cautious.

The problems with livestock in Australia cannot be discounted, even if it is not reason to panic. Henbit is a member of the mint family and may have a taste that makes it unattractive. Horses will usually go for the more delectable grass, but if grass is limited, they may give it a try.

It is an invasive species and as such may crowd out desirable forage, and it sounds like it is picking up speed. I wouldn’t consider it among plants that I banish from my property, but I would not encourage it.

You pony will not need a lot of green grass jus hay for fiber. Soak any green hay and discard the water. Not too much grass or weeds
read up on sugars and fructans for easy keepers like ponies.