Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

Some of us are just big-boned. Right, Henry? :laughing:

17 Likes

It’s refreshing to see a young rider not jumping up the neck and looking posed. She means business and is getting it done.

21 Likes

Plus, she’s looking up and ahead, and her heel is down and right below her hip. What a good rider already!

9 Likes

An open balanced classic seat like she has allows a horse to use their back and encourages a balanced pick up and go landing vs the pitch landing that throws the rider forward. I want to cry, it isn’t taught these days.

I also believe in the land in your heel, off your horse’s back, that allows the horse to reorganize themself before taking that stride away from the fence.

12 Likes

Yes this! I was always told that if the horse suddenly vanished from under me, and I dropped straight to the ground, I should land on my feet balanced, not falling forward or back.

10 Likes

Kiddo is stepping up to the plate quite well as my stand-in for light training rides! And Henry too :heart:

50 Likes

I love this visualization. Thanks for sharing it.

1 Like

Looks like things are well under control! Great job, kiddo and Henry!

4 Likes

Chapter 15. Henry goes to a hunter pace.

An adult friend volunteered to pilot Henry at his first hunter pace while I tottered along on my made mare. Henry was a rock star! Started out a little googly-eyed but gained more and more confidence as we went around. The course was longer than expected and we “ran out of Henry” at the end but it was a 100% successful outing for a five-yr-old.

64 Likes

I love the way he trots the logs in the video. No fuss or fight to get back to his friend. Just a pleasant attitude. He is going to be a fun all around horse .

13 Likes

Considering he had a new rider up in a new situation, he was a very good boy!

8 Likes

GO, HENRY! YOU’RE A ROCKSTAR!! :star_struck:
Could you be any prouder?

11 Likes

I ended up with two copies Jean Slaughter Doty’s Summer Pony, so in honor of Henry’s resemblance to Mokey (noted on this thread several times!), I am posting it here first and will send the extra at no charge to the first of Henry’s aunties to message me about it.

But if @2bayboys thinks her pony jock might enjoy it (not sure how old she is) I’ll bump her to the top! :smile:

27 Likes

That is very kind! I have a Free Little Library in my tack room and Summer Pony has been borrowed by all of my kiddo riders! One of my all time favorites.

21 Likes

And Winter Pony, the sequel. :heart:

When I was a kid, I SO wanted that to happen to me.

5 Likes

When I built my house, that two car garage looked mighty tempting as a place to retire my guy

3 Likes

Oh my very favorite books! Read them so, so many times as a child. I kept my copies for any kids I might have had but alas, not to be. Still have them on my shelf.

4 Likes