Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

He had some nice cantering and by the time I got my phone out and started filming he said eh that’s enough :rofl:

7 Likes

Our horses need to tell us “I am going to do something really cute now, but I’ll wait until you are ready to video”. :smile:

16 Likes

Henry got a short lesson in lunging today and because everything felt right, I hopped on and we took a tour around the ring and talked about steering and gate etiquette. Someone has allowed Henry to have an opinion about returning to the barn/his friends. We had a discussion about that and he agreed that it’s easier to just keep going in the direction that his nose is pointing and not waste energy trying to convince me otherwise. Many scritches and carrot treats after.

65 Likes

Henry says, “Huh. This lady sure has a lot of rules.”

21 Likes

oh henry

9 Likes

Oh goodness, this mane view suddenly gave me a flashback to a lesson pony I loved 40 years ago! Thanks for “painting” the memory. :smiley:

3 Likes

Squeee! He is going to be stinking adorable with a little muscle!

5 Likes

Awe, hesagoodboy!!!

4 Likes

Henry is out of quarantine and now has friends :heart:

Memorializing the gangly baby stage.

62 Likes

I love his bi-colored tail. He is going to be so fancy!

5 Likes

The tail kills me. It’s right out of a children’s book.

5 Likes

I’d guess his age at 2 1/2 or maybe just 3. He definitely doesn’t look 4.

ETA I know you’re sure he is… just wow he looks way more gangly awkward than a 4 year old usually does.

5 Likes

I agree! He looks like a growthy 3yo to me. But I’m sure he’ll look completely different once he gains the muscle he’s lacking.

1 Like

One way to tell on still growing horses if they are already three or older is looking at their outline from the side, their rib carriage by the elbow shows to have “dropped” once they are a long three, it is about even with the elbow, not above it, as is in many younger ones, there is more definition to them in that area.
At the track, where horses are in similar work and physical condition and fit, it is easily noticeable.

He does look otherwise younger in development, but horses change proportions all along until mature, some more than others, making it harder to eyeball for a balanced look defining their age in their younger years.

6 Likes

with baby teeth starting to leave, it is a bit easier to pinpoint an age year. Didn’t know that info about the ribs cage too.

that tail needs to demo a hunter braid to make us all giddy.

5 Likes

he is just darling!

I love everything about him. He will make such a nice, all round goodboy. Teach him to drive, he would look so cute with a little tub cart filled with kids!

6 Likes

I think he needs to be registered pinto, and then next year take him to Pinto World and show him in the hunter classes. (I’m full of fun ideas). :grin:

11 Likes

In this photo, he is already looking much better. Sometimes, Pinto markings don’t do them any favors when trying to evaluate conformation, takes some effort to imagine them as solid, plain brown. No way he changed much in a short time but just cleaning him up sure made his parts and pieces look like they belonged to the same horse and fit together better compared to the earlier shot upthread.

Im sure even in the short time OP has had him, the vetwork, better feed and regular grooming are already having an effect.

Think he is really going to bloom and sooner, not later.

6 Likes

He’s Mokey from “Summer Pony”!

24 Likes

12-day glow up photos! He’s starting to look more like a young sporthorse and less like a mish mash of pony parts.

Henry trotted under saddle today and went for his first little hack around my big field, solo.

Love me some Henry! :heart:

55 Likes