Henry the Handyman from rags to riches

ME TOO! Hubba Hubba!!

2 Likes

So. Stinkin’. Cute! He sure cleans up nice!

2 Likes

Did you see the magazine piece Sammish?
From Rescue To Ribbons: Everybody Loves An Ice Cream Sammich - The Chronicle of the Horse (chronofhorse.com)

We’re all going to be on the hunt 
 for our pony!

5 Likes

I did see that and LOVED IT! :heart:

He is darling! I bet he has some growth in there still. Can’t wait to see what he looks like with some muscle. He has such a kind eye - like an old soul!

4 Likes

Hubba Bubba Henry the Handsome Handyman :heartpulse: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Oh, now he’s getting that fancy pants, goin’ into town and puttin’ on my clean clothes look. God knows I love me a bay pinto, and he is looking awfully cute already.

7 Likes

Every time I see this thread pop up, I start chanting “Henry, Henry, Henry” like those “Hefty, Hefty, Hefty” paper towel commercials.

Anyone else or is that just me? :crazy_face:

9 Likes

I loved that story too until they clipped him, when he went from looking like an Ice Cream Sammich to that unappetizing grey.

His markings have this groovy 3D effect, like a globe in relief, where white meets brown.

1 Like

Also, would love to have a discussion w the gene that determines halves of the tail and mane are dark and the other halves are white. Like, “Gene, how did you dream this up and how can we get more of it?”

5 Likes

@ZuzusPetals As far as I know it’s just an extension of the same reason pinto horses have dark/white patches on the rest of their body - where the hair grows white, the underlying skin is white, and elsewhere is the horse’s base color. My horse has a black and white tail. When I’m washing her tail/dock I can see that the skin color under the white parts of her tail is pink, while the black parts are black.

Also @2bayboys I just noticed his tail is banged to just below the hocks- I love it!! Now he looks like a fancy imported cob cross. I’ve always loved that look but I’ve never had the guts to do it on any of my horses.

And his little freckles (I know they’re called ermine spots but I call them freckles on my girl), and the little pink spot on his lower lip, and the mapping around all his white spots, and and and
 :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Thank you! I banged his tail because the hair quality was so poor and bleached at the ends. But I like it :heart:

7 Likes

@2bayboys this song immediately popped into my head:
All the lyrics are at the song, but:

I like the way you comb your hair
And I like those stylish clothes you wear

(8) DeBarge - I Like It - YouTube

3 Likes

He’s upside down and doesn’t have a clue but damn I really think there’s something in there. :heart:

68 Likes

That is a lovely start! Tracking up, ears forward, and he is really stepping under nicely in that last photo. Looks like you spotted a diamond in the rough there!

7 Likes

But he’s happily going forward, looks agreeable, and seems to have a nice push from behind. I bet in just a couple of weeks of your riding he’ll begin to really understand his new career: handyman hony.

7 Likes

He does look great there.
That last soft picture seems to be moving forward, tracking nicely and self balancing to hand correctly even on drapey reins, beautiful picture.
Bet he was already understanding your riding goal, won’t take long to get him coming thru at other gaits, seems that it may come naturally with a little time, will with your help.

That name is a big hit, fits him to a T. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Gosh, he reminds me so much of my friend’s “wonder pony” she bought at auction for $500. A similar (also pinto!) diamond-in-the-rough who turned out to be an absolute saint, and currently totes around a bunch of younger h/j riders on our local circuits. We remark all the time about how the cheap, scrappy, unbroke auction pony is now worth her weight in gold.

Henry is too cute and I’m SO invested in seeing him blossom :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

He doesn’t even look like the same horse, especially in that last photo. What a sweetheart!

2 Likes