Unlimited access >

Here from the EHV article Archy

https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/we-showed-on-sunday-he-died-on-tuesday-an-outbreak-story/

Related thread

2 Likes

Or like some members here, English isnā€™t their first language.

11 Likes

I meant to say troll.

Language issue or not, itā€™s still a troll topic. And no one with that name spells it ā€œArchy.ā€

Which is not to say that I condone the trainerā€™s behavior in any way. But the author of the article was careful to say that the origin of the virus canā€™t be confirmed to be the gray horse, and to refrain from naming names.

As I said in the other thread, my horse was at that same show at LAEC. The trainer in question boards at a facility down the road from my barn, same owner and manager so we were on lockdown and following virus protocols.

And by the way, it was an assistant trainer who brought the horses from Thermal.

4 Likes

I guess thatā€™s why I havenā€™t seen your trailer pull up in my driveway.

He completes you.

:heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Yep. Welcome to L.A.!

8 Likes

Black stallion-y is a sad way to interpret a story about a horse that died because other people ignored the lockdown rules. She doesnā€™t say she tamed a horse no one else could ride. She says a horse she loved died. Your reaction seems rather heartless.

48 Likes

Thatā€™s your opinion.

None of the three horses you posted showed in the divisions that the author of the article did, based on my limited sleuthing on SGL (and assuming that the author of the article is using her real name and that there were no horse name changes in the week between the two shows and that both show offices are accurate, etc. etc.). Iā€™m not accusing anyone of manipulating the truth, just intrigued that none of those three is the ā€œgray horseā€ referenced in the article.

Thatā€™s all the sleuthing I was willing to do, but it did tell me that I have a distant connection to the horse that died.

2 Likes

I do not know that facility, could more than one division be using the same warm-up area?

1 Like

I think it was irresponsible for the editors to allow the author to put blame on the gray horse. Do we know if the gray horse was ever a positive case? It could have been any of the horses or their entourage of people who were not practicing any biosecurity. While the article does mention all of the handling and nose wiping and whatnot, it still reads, but it was the gray horse. And then basically a footnote in the article about the rule change proposal to give teeth to potential future sanctions. Iā€™m so sorry for the horrific loss the author and the horseā€™s owner endured, as I would not wish that experience on anyone, but the article was cringy.

1 Like

Says they were in the same division.

But, yes, both ovals share a warmup as do the two Allens.

6 Likes

Thank you for clarifying!

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting how two years have changed things. The 2022 thread is united in being pissed at the few trainers who went straight from thermal to LA while other thermal trainers obeyed the rules and quarantined. This thread is, so far, ā€œwell, this author seems dramatic. Maybe it came from somewhere else.ā€

24 Likes

Agree, the tone of this thread does not bode well for the biosecurity I feel comfortable with.

19 Likes

IMHO thereā€™s a middle ground here.

Am I pissed at the people who went straight from DIHP to LAEC (and to the show in Sacramento)? Yes. Especially while others hunkered down at DIHP at considerable cost bc they couldnā€™t go back to their home barn (or in some cases, their home countryā€“Canada). And more especially bc of the outcome to horses that got sick and died.

Am I also pissed at people/show managements who during past outbreaks have swept things under the rug or skedaddled out of their home barn that was about to be placed under quarantine and gone to a show? Also yes.

Am I also annoyed at DIHP management for not notifying the exhibitors at the Feb 2022 show in a more timely manner. Yes, indeed. I was at the show and we heard about sick horses via the rumor mill and then went around and asked. I talked to someone at the show on Sunday who had no idea there were sick horses. Maybe they notified via the broadcast texts that, for some reason, I hadnā€™t gotten subscribed to at the time despite asking. But there should have been more widespread notice. I now subscribe to DIHP and stay on it year round, even if Iā€™m not showing. To their credit, DIHP management did ultimately do a good job during the outbreak, but the initial response wasnā€™t stellar.

But, I think that COTH could maybe have done a better job of fact checking the article based on some of whatā€™s been posted here. The article raised enough questions in my brain to make it less impactful. I can decouple the article from biosecurity in general, but some (not necessarily any of the posters here) might use the article to defend a position of requiring less biosecurity.

8 Likes

Oh Iā€™d be totally pissed if I was there, and I think the rule change proposal is a good thing. At my boarding barn, any horse that came in from California, including new imports that went through LAX and then got on a trailer with who knows who else, had to quarantine for a couple of weeks before entering the gen pop area for boarders because of how poorly things were handled and how much spread of the virus there was. I still have issues with this article, though.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t mean to imply any of the three horses was the grey horse, just that regarding the trainers involved there are publicly available records of horses that were at both shows. At least in those cases, itā€™s not just hearsay/conjecture to name the trainers. Iā€™m sure USEF have a fuller picture of who was where and there may or may not be other horses who fall into the same category, but from my (admittedly cursory) research it doesnā€™t seem like USEF has released the names of the three trainers who were sanctioned.

7 Likes

I get that. And appreciate your research. It shows three horses whose connections broke the rules. Itā€™s what made me dig a bit more. Was just frustrated that none of those three horses was a match for the gray horse.

1 Like

Troll away! You must be new. The assistant who will remain nameless, only acts on what his boss tells him to do. He was present with the horses but youā€™re foolish to think this was solely his decision or actions. I know these men well, I too board down the road from them. I also know the woman who wrote the article and spoke to many during this time, during the lawsuit, and during the chaos. Her reasons were not to protect anyone namelessly mentioned in the article, but to protect herself. I also know that the decisions made by the professional mentioned were common. The paper trail here is long, he is fortunate to be who he is. A bit of research and you will easily find which horse was the culprit.

6 Likes

For everyone defending this trainer, covertly or not, lawsuits are not pursued for fun. That is all.

4 Likes