Hernia Repair-- Recovery time for riding?

I have a hernia as a result of pregnancy 3 years ago and my doctor has recommended I have it repaired. I am waiting for my consult with the general surgeon. I am not clear on severity, except that it is noticeable and sometimes painful.

I ride 3-5x a week and run about 12-15 miles a week. I am concerned about recovery time… after pregnancy and c-section, it took me ages to recover and get back in the saddle, and I am afraid of the same thing happening.

I’m thinking maybe I should do it in winter when I don’t really want to ride and run anyway?!

Help?

Nobody??

The few things I’ve found online do not sound promising, 6-12 months and many people with residual abdominal pain. So discouraged!

I had an inguinal hernia repair in my early 20’s. I was riding after about 6 weeks. I definitely didn’t do anything for the first week. Only left the bed if I had to. Almost passed out a couple times the first couple of days during recovery. Coughing, sneezing, laughing, etc are all very painful for a few weeks after.

Let me know if you want any more information.

All depends on the hernia size, location, and how it is repaired. If you won’t be riding or running in the winter anyway, I would wait until then if possible.

I hope it is a small one with an easy fix!

Thank you both! I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like my c-section recovery. :confused: I think I am going to try to wait till winter, if possible.