Hiatal Hernia

Anyone had hiatal hernia surgery? Experiences? How long before riding again? The only surgery I’ve had so far is breast reduction , Surgeon says my condition could become life threatenig if surgery not done. He’s just waiting for me to heal from the wreck I had on my mare two weeeks ago. He wants me in as good a shape as possible to reduce the risk of complications for someone my age (67). Thanks for any info.

I’m having one repaired in 2 weeks! It’s part of another abdominal surgery, so I don’t know about the repair itself, but I’ve been told no lifting for 6 weeks, so that’s about how long I plan on being out of the saddle. Key word is planning- we will see how that goes. :yes:

I am interested in the answers also.
I have had a hiatal hernia all my life and been scoped and had my esophagus stretched several times and biopsies taken of suspicious spots.

The last time the gastroenterologist said I needed to be thinking of surgery, before it was worse.

Are you talking about some kind of fundectomy?

I had my surgery two weeks ago, five days in hospital. Surgeon said everything about the actual surgery was " textbook." I had some other issues post surgery that were not about the repair itself. Had my staples out Monday - not as painless as my DH (who has had numerous staples removed) said that would be. Surgeon said on Monday that I’m doing great, no need for another visit.He said any exercise is only limited by when I feel pain. I DO have to continue the “blenderized” diet til one month post op, then gradually add back regular food. I didn’t ask the surgeon when I could ride again as I have issues with my shoulder that will be surgically repaired on 8/6, then torn meniscus in knee repaired after that. Once shoulder and knee are fixed I’m back in the saddle!

Bluey: I don’t remember the name for my procedure . Surrounding organs were moved aside, my stomach was brought down in place, part of it sutured around the bottom of the esophagus, and mesh put in the hiatal opening. My surgeon was assisted by his partner and a robot named DaVinci. They actuslly introduced me to the robot when I entered the OR. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Antaeus;7682601]
I had my surgery two weeks ago, five days in hospital. Surgeon said everything about the actual surgery was " textbook." I had some other issues post surgery that were not about the repair itself. Had my staples out Monday - not as painless as my DH (who has had numerous staples removed) said that would be. Surgeon said on Monday that I’m doing great, no need for another visit.He said any exercise is only limited by when I feel pain. I DO have to continue the “blenderized” diet til one month post op, then gradually add back regular food. I didn’t ask the surgeon when I could ride again as I have issues with my shoulder that will be surgically repaired on 8/6, then torn meniscus in knee repaired after that. Once shoulder and knee are fixed I’m back in the saddle!

Bluey: I don’t remember the name for my procedure . Surrounding organs were moved aside, my stomach was brought down in place, part of it sutured around the bottom of the esophagus, and mesh put in the hiatal opening. My surgeon was assisted by his partner and a robot named DaVinci. They actuslly introduced me to the robot when I entered the OR. :)[/QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds like it is involved, sure not looking forward to any of that.
I think I will keep trying to pass.

Thanks for the report.

Holy Moley!!!

At what point does one need surgery where medication is no longer effective?

Well, my entire stomach was up in my chest. When your stomach is “out of place” it can twist, cutting off blood flow. I thought of it like a horse with a torsion. Surgeon said it could become life threatening. The only sympton I had was indigestion/acid reflux.It was picked up on scan in ER after I got bucked of one of my horses…

[QUOTE=Antaeus;7684054]
Well, my entire stomach was up in my chest. When your stomach is “out of place” it can twist, cutting off blood flow. I thought of it like a horse with a torsion. Surgeon said it could become life threatening. The only sympton I had was indigestion/acid reflux.It was picked up on scan in ER after I got bucked of one of my horses…[/QUOTE]

I guess I need to ask my dr why does he think I need surgery now and which kind would that be.

Since I had nine surgeries in the past 10 1/2 years, I panic and run for the hills if a dr even suggest one more.
Will need to find out more.

Thank you for explaining all that.