Unlimited access >

High Calorie Dry Food for cats

I’m looking for a high calorie tasty dry cat food for my senior cat with chronic rhinitis. He’s been sick and doesn’t have much of an appetite, even with some appetite stimulant. He has always been super picky but is still plugging away at his dry food so I’d like to make sure every kibble counts. I’ve tried dozens of different types and styles of food to get him to eat but he’s settled on kibble so kibble it is. He seems to be drinking well and he has a hydra care flavored water he really likes. He has his 4th vet appointment on Wednesday.

If you’d like to lecture me on how my cat should eat wet food you can go somewhere else.

Check out Merrick dry cat food. It looks to be high in calories. They have many flavors to choose from. Downside is the smallest bag is 4 lbs.

The one I looked at almost 400 calories per cup.

I don’t have a specific suggestion but what about a dry senior food or a kitten food?

1 Like

Look at the orijen options:

https://www.orijenpetfoods.com/en-US/cats/cat-food/

Are you using an anti nausea along with the appetite stimulant? Might make a big difference.

2 Likes

American Journey Duck is pretty high calories. It’s Chewy’s own brand so you have to get it from there.

If he will eat high calorie paste that can also be a good way to get more calories in them. It’s something like 30 cal per teaspoon.

Like @Simkie said you may need anti-nausea as well. My boy did once he started getting sick.

My senior kitties are doing very well on this dry: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DNJLW8B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this canned (once a day): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQC9UHU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Haven’t been using a anti nausea med but I’ll ask on Wednesday.

He is gagging right now but that’s because of the sinus drainage constricting his throat.

1 Like

Ugh, poor guy, that sounds miserable :frowning: That drainage can absolutely cause nausea. My preference is zofran or zofran & cerenia. Vets often just rx cerenia, but I don’t find it to work that well on it’s own.

Can he have a decongestant to limit the drainage?

I hope he feels better soon :heart:

2 Likes

OK, he got another antibiotic shot and some Cerenia so we’ll see how he does.

I feed Nulo Freestyle. It is a little less kcal than Origen at 486 kcal/cup. I feed it for my nearly toothless old girl as it is itty bitty disk shaped kibble and she handles the smaller pieces better.

Susan

Ziwi Peak (The Chewy carries it) is high fat, high calorie and high dollar but Chewy will refund your money if you cat won’t eat it. It is better than dry as it has a higher moisture content due to it being air dried.

Short term? Temptations. They are a balanced diet and most cats can’t resist them. Might help get him more motivated to eat, then you can mix with his kibble. My cats also really liked having freeze dried food sprinkled over their kibble when they weren’t feeling great. I also find cats who aren’t feeling great won’t want any particular flavour/kibble for a long time, so I offer more than one kind, and switch it up a bit. Yes, I know it is ideal to not do major food changes suddenly, but I think it is more important they eat, vs eat a consistent food. if he is really struggling, Churu liquid “treats”, scallop or tuna, seem to smell enough that a stuffed up kitty can smell it, and because it is liquid, you can put a bit on a paw or nose to trick him to eat (they have trouble resisting cleaning themselves.)

1 Like