Unlimited access >

High neck blankets

That is hilarious!! What a smart boy :joy:

1 Like

Last year I used an old detachable full neck on a mare and it rubbed a fair bit of mane out, as it did several years ago when I used it regularly on another horse. This year I bought a blanket with a full neck and Iā€™m curious to see if it will be better on the mane. Although I donā€™t see any sign of it getting cold enough here to use this new blanket. Not complaining about the mild winter, just wish I hadnā€™t jumped on a sale for a blanket I might not need this year :woman_facepalming:

I donā€™t have one to share, but I have watched him do it, and itā€™s quite deliberate. He tucks his chin in toward his chest, folds his ears back, and straightens his neck. In they go, just like it was designed to work that way. They seem to stay put on their own, even when his head goes down to ā€œgrazeā€ on his slow-feeder. They were frost-free, too :-D.

1 Like

So this is my first season using high neck blankets. (Iā€™m only a couple decades behind on this trend)

I bought 2 Amigo Bravos and a Rhino for 2 different horses.

No mane rubbingā€¦ butā€¦

The Rhino wug does not fit my horse well. She is a big girl, WBx, with a thick, low set neck and big withers. Because her neck is so thick, it makes the chest closure ride up. Then when she puts her head down, there is a lot of pressure on her withers. I imagine rubs will happen eventually.

Sheā€™s never had a problem with regular neck blankets. :woman_shrugging:

has anybody tried the premier equine high necks? or schneiders?
wondering if they are roomier than wugs.

I have the attached high neck and itā€™s the best thing ever!

Love my Schneidrs! I have this one and it the behest ever!! https://www.sstack.com/stormshield-blankets/p/31955w/a1/100000000398/av1/100000007711/a2/100000000376/av2/100000008940/a3/100000000522/av3/100000008564/a4/100000000532/av4/100000009465/

Iā€™ve found the PE blankets to be roomier in general. I love them and wonā€™t buy anything else. Schneiderā€™s high necks had less room than either Wug or PE, and IMO PE blankets are overall nicer than Wugs.

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking to try one of the PE blankets to try out. It was good to hear you like them! Both of my horses seem to need extra room in the shoulders and depth of the neck opening

I have that one as well in a heavyweight so donā€™t use it a lot. Agree itā€™s nice! I consider that an all in one though. I think high neck is more like a Wug style blanket.

1 Like

Can I ask how big he is and what size blanket that is? My friend is thinking of starting to blanket a 32 yo Haffie whoā€™s having more trouble keeping weight on this yearā€¦just diagnosed with Cushingā€™s but has always been a true Austrian bear in winter!

1 Like

Sure! He is 13.2, roundabouts 1000lbs, and wears a 75 so far across all brands weā€™ve tried. Sometimes we get a bit of a skirt look depending on the length :joy: but the Horsewear ones really seems to fit him nicely even with his short legs.

1 Like

Thank you! I think Trucker is about the same size!

1 Like

Have you tried one of the Amigos on her to compare? IME, Rhinos seem to be cut less generously in the shoulder than Rambos & Amigos. Great for narrow-chested TBs & Arabs, but not for our fuller-figured friends.

The horse whose Rhino Wug fits poorly has 2 regular neck Amigo Bravos and 2 Rambos. The regular neck is fine and they fit her great.

I have not tried an Amigo or Rambo Wug on her, but another one of my horses has 2 Amigo Bravo wugs in a different size. That horse has much different conformation, but her Amigo Wugs seem to be cut more generously.

Over the years I have heard people occasionally say that the Rhinos are cut a little differently than the other Horsewear Ireland blankets, but this is my first experience with the issue. I would say my Amigos and Rambos are cut very similarly to each other, though the Rambos are a tad more generous.

Iā€™d be thrilled just to buy her the Amigo Bravo 100g regular neck next year (or a Rambo if I find one for a good price) and sell the Rhino.

1 Like

If it helps at all, the Rhino I have fits my fjord who is a small tank much better and more comfortably than the Amigo stablesheet. The amigo fits worse on his shoulders and cuts an hair too low in the chest.

I have a hard time with the horseware regular neck blankets on our little tank quarter horse mare. The necks are too big if the blanket is wide enough and ends up pulling back low on her chest and withers. I tried her ā€œsisterā€™sā€ medium Rambo Wug on her at Christmas and it was a revelation. Ordered her the Rhino 100g and a heavy on sale. The heavy was a mis marked 66 though (crying) and they were sold out so I bit the credit card and got her the Rambo heavy wug. Had it shipped to college, where my daughter says it fits great AND the ā€œbag for lifeā€ that comes with it holds all of her blankets lol. (Did I mention sheā€™s a LITTLE tank lol).

2 Likes