Unlimited access >

High-Sided Litter Box - or storage tote - or?

The tote is an excellent idea. Litter boxes always seem so cramped for a cat of any size and no wonder everyone misses the mark. Not to mention litter flung everywhere because the sides are so low.

:joy:

Whereas Tom, the shelter cat, is both agile and athletic.

1 Like

We have 3 outdoor cats but they are allowed in the garage as they please. Our (disgusting) dog likes to EAT whatever they put in the litter box. So a long time ago, I bought a large clear tote with cover and had the hubby cut a small hole in the side, large enough that the cats can get in and out, but small enough the dumb dog can’t get her head inside.

Made a second one a couple months ago for the cat’s free choice cat food as well. They can eat as they please and the dog can’t get it.

Cheap and works great.

Very similar to what Kyrabee posted, but I keep the lids on (keeps the dog out) and bought clear ones so it lets light in. (and my entry holes are much much smaller).
And I actually set a normal litter box inside. Just keeps it all better contained.

3 Likes

In this special case I would do the exact same as you. What’s your boy’s name? Would love to see a picture of him.

2 Likes

As demonstrated here. Have no idea how he got up there but I think it involved using hanging clothes to reach the top of the door to the left and then either a leap or a saunter across the door frame. He hopped down using the center support of the book case.

Yup. Just got to the top of the door again using the clothes. Then tried to walk along the picture rail before abandoning that and jumping down. Endless entertainment here.

4 Likes

Here is SnuggleUpWithGus. GusGus for short.

He was 26 pounds when I adopted him from the Humane Society of Tampa Bay. He is now … around 12. he gets fed a 100% raw diet.

View recent photos

7 Likes

for some reason it would not load two images in my other post.

6 Likes

What a great name! He’s gorgeous…but I bet he knows that!

1 Like

UPDATE - Thank you all!

Went to Target and bought a tote, using my gift card refund from the cat Christmas tree scratcher that was, um, challenging to assemble without tearing it. It’s Sterelite; corners aren’t rounded, but there are no odd protrusions. It’s the size with purple clasps. Then, since there was more money on the gift card, I added some needed supplies plus fish taco toys for Tom and a cute shirt with succulents and a mug with cats and cacti for me. And spent $20 more than the card.

New box has been deployed, and christened. I didn’t cut a hole in it, figuring that a can who can scale bookcases and hop 4-plus feet from the dining table to the sofa didn’t need that.

5 Likes

My parents and sister’s cats just use the storage bin without any lid or holes, and they seem to do okay. Granted, both are younger cats and have the athletic ability to jump over the 18" sides. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you!! GusGus is quite a funny cat.

1 Like

OMG, those claws are like Edward Scissorhands!

2 Likes

He is demanding pets. There is a 5 inch gap between the table and the bed. He’s hanging on and pulling himself across the gap :rofl:

I’ve become a fan of the CatIt litter boxes. They have a removable cover, and the way the cover sits on the bottom makes it very difficult for my pee-drawer (she stands up as she pees so the pee draws a line up the side of the box) to get any pee outside of the box. It has a (removable) flap for the door which I do remove.

1 Like