Unlimited access >

Hind Boot Recommendations?

My mare is recovering from a wound on her RH and it’s going to leave a nasty scar. The vet has recommended that she have some kind of protection while hunting this season to prevent thorns and the like from injuring the new tissue, so I am on the hunt for boots that will hold up to the hunt field.

The injury is to the dorsal surface and rather high–I would say maybe three fingers’ width from the bend of the hock–so open front boots are right out. I think SMBs would do the job of covering it, but I have had really bad luck with them slipping in the past on cross country courses, so I am reluctant to hunt in them.

Does anyone have recommendations for boots that stand the test of the field? Our territory has some pretty trappy spots that are unavoidable, so I need something sturdy and with velcro that will hold through deep mud.

Any thoughts?

So much depends on your terrain. I think most foxhunters don’t wear boots because they can come off, trip up your horse, get mud and other stuff trapped in them, etc. which might be worse for your horse.

@xeroxchick right. And I don’t normally hunt in boots and would not choose to of my own volition. We’re having a hell of a time getting this wound to heal though. When it first happened, I thought okay, this will be closed and scarred by hunt season and it will be fine but that was months ago and, now, by the time the season starts, it will still be pretty new and delicate skin. When I asked the vet about hunting this year he said “not without something to cover this!” so…here I am, looking for boots.

I wonder if vet wrap, covered by a softer, neoprene boot would be okay?

I’ve never hunted, but would cross country boots work? I have the Dalmar Eventer hind boots https://www.dalmarboots.co.uk/products/eventing+horse+boots+-+hind/328