Hind feet dragging

Hi All
Was wondering if anyone could offer any insight, young horse has outgrown current dressage saddle.

Anyway an interesting thing I’ve noticed is that in that particular saddle there is hind feet dragging. I have ridden in 2 different saddles other than the dressage and no dragging.
So it’s clearly the saddle pressing or blocking somewhere.

I have a new custom saddle on the way, but struggling a bit until it arrives. There was no insight into why the old one wasn’t ideal (but from my perspective I knew it wasn’t going wide enough, horse is 6 and it’s already been widened)

Has anyone heard of such a thing, And know why?I would just love to broaden my knowledge base about this.

Thank you

Is the horse also leaning on the bit? When a horse leans, they tend to fluff out behind–sort of a fulcrum effect. If a young horse, might be because they are cutting incisors and need a bit change, not a saddle change. My 5 year old is cutting incisors and now prefers a loose ring thicker single joint bit to the eggbutt titanium 3 piece that he went so well in before.

Hey, thanks for the response. More a non contact horse than a leaner, but it’s certainly worth considering. The horse is in a trust Flexi, but I do have a NS trust I can try.
5yo are such a minefield!

I f a saddle change cured the problem, you are wise to have ordered a new saddle.

Is it possible to use one the saddles he is happy with in the interim.

nd pray he likes the new one.

Well you can put a finger in the mouth where the incisors come in and see if they are there. If they are about to erupt, you can feel that too. My boy has the lowers but the tops are trying to cut through. Thankfully, these are the last two teeth to come in!

PLEASE, get a neuro exam from a skilled vet.

Do not pass go, do not inject all the things… neuro exam, with neck rads with CSF tap if vet believes it is warranted. Preferably at a clinic, not in the field.

Emily

7 Likes

Agree with a neuro work up, but a CSF is a pretty serious procedure. Besides EPM, and when my horse went though this, it wasn’t a slam dunk diagnostic, why would you put the horse through that? My understanding is suspected EPM just gets a med protocol.

1 Like

Because Epm isn’t everything and there are more problematic things that are in horses that are negative using the ratio testing for EPM between blood and csf.

I know exactly how serious a csf tap is. It’s worth looking at things closely.

Emily

1 Like

Also no. See article below.

Emily

1 Like

Please look into EPM as the others have suggested. I’m going through this with my horse right now, and it all started with seemingly innocuous intermittent unilateral toe dragging behind under saddle.

1 Like

I had to Google EPM as I haven’t heard of it, and it’s not in my country is why.
So hopefully not this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay good, that’s a relief!

That is one perspective. I have dealt with 2 EPM horses, one was treated at Cornell where the horse was tapped twice. He became so afraid of going to the vet he would never get on a trailer again. Another had less serious presentation and we did Marquis to good effect.

Again, nothing is a definitive diagnostic unless a postmortem is performed. Whether the CSF is a good route is up to the OP and their vet. Let’s not act like it’s something to just perform like a blood draw.

3 Likes

Honestly my first thought is neuro too, however I have just retired my younger horse due to neurological issues.

Because your horse is not dragging his hind toes in other saddles I think it’s far more likely that he is just bracing himself against the discomfort of the saddle, probably in a hollow shape to escape the saddle pressure, and this shape is preventing him from lifting his back and bringing his hind legs up underneath.

You could have a basic neurological exam (which checks how the horse moves in certain circumstances) done the next time the vet is out, and just see if there’s anything that suggests further diagnostics are necessary.

3 Likes

I second this, intermittent hind toe drag on my gelding was passed off as nothing for years by multiple vets and turned out to be one of the first symptoms of his EDM. (If I’m connecting the dots correctly it was diagnosed by @Xctrygirl ‘s boss.)

This experience taught me to just go directly to an internist or ideally a neurologist with anything vaguely neuro in appearance.

5 Likes

One of many, but yes.

:wink:

Emily

1 Like

After having a horse dx’d with EPM via the UCD serum test, treating, dealing with major side effects from the treatment, spending $$$ chasing my tail, only for it to ultimately have been something completely different…if I ever suspect EPM again I will go straight for a CSF. I will never trust the titers again.

4 Likes

TL:DR

Please have hind hooves x-rayed to check angles.

2 Likes