Unlimited access >

Hind Suspensory Ligament Branch Desmitis Rehab Program

My mare was recently diagnosed with suspensory branch desmitis in both hind legs. She blocked to her RH suspensory & her LH fetlock but we didn’t see anything abnormal on ultrasound of the entire suspensory of both hind legs. So we went to MRI and here are the MRI results:

Right hind: The suspensory ligament branches have multifocal mild to moderate fiber abnormalities. The lateral suspensory ligament branch is moderately enlarged and misshapen. The medial suspensory ligament branch is mildly enlarged with focal axial fiber disruption at the sesamoid bone insertion (3 to 4 mm in diameter). Focal central sclerosis with the possibility of mild fluid is present in the distal diaphysis of the third metatarsal bone with additional, mild to moderate sclerosis in the distal aspect of the bone.

Left hind: Multifocal mild to moderate fiber abnormalities are present in the suspensory ligament branches. In addition, the lateral suspensory ligament branch is enlarged with mild to moderate periligamentous tissue proliferation. The lateral suspensory branch enlargement continues to the level of the bifurcation with lateral enlargement of the distal suspensory ligament body. The third metatarsal bone has moderate fluid at the dorsal aspect of the sagittal ridge and mild to moderate distal condylar and sagittal ridge sclerosis.

So I asked my vet to put the above in non-vet terms for me LOL She said essentially it’s mild inflammation throughout the ligaments - no lesions were found, just all over inflammation and changes.

The bad news is that this all started at the end of last July and was not able to be diagnosed until earlier this month (April). Unfortunately the prior vets who were treating my mare suspected the lameness was coming from her hips or SI - we injected the SI and the lameness resolved so we slowly started her back into work. For 2 months it was going well, and 3 weeks into adding trot work back in, the lameness returned. That is when we got a 3rd vet involved who has the lameness locator, and that’s when the suspensory diagnosis was made. So I am sure that the under saddle work, albeit low level, contributed to the damage we found on MRI.

So at this point, I am trying to figure out what the prognosis looks like, which is hard since I know it varies wildly from horse to horse. My mare is 23 and for the past 6 years has just been my casual low level (Training level) Dressage horse. Prior to that she was my low level Eventer (BN level). She has never been lame in the 16 yrs I have owned her, until this. She’s actually in VERY good shape for her age! (Here are some recent photos of her) But I know that branch injuries are tough to rehab and I want to make sure I do this right! We’ve done shockwave and she is on anti-inflammatories. She has always been successfully barefoot, but we just put hind suspensory shoes on her. We’ve been doing nothing but handwalking + some stretches since the diagnosis was made.

The vet who did the MRI told me that once we can get her to about a 75-80% comfort level (she’s at about 60% now on 2g Bute/day…and I measure it based on the % of time she spends standing on both hinds vs. resting RH or LH), that we can start adding in some light walk under saddle. But everything I keep reading suggests that they have to be on stall rest for MONTHS before you even think about doing that! So should I be taking this much slower?

She is still on her usual overnight turnout, only because she has always been a LAZY laid back girl and she goes out in her own half-acre paddock, doesn’t run or really do anything except meander around and eat, so all 3 vets thought it would be better to have her out and moving around since she’s unlikely to do anything stupid in turnout to worsen her situation.

I am curious to know what others’ rehab plans were for an injury like this - and if you’ve read this whole post, THANK YOU and congrats! haha

2 Likes

I wouldn’t stall rest her if she’s quiet. You can tranq if needed, but IME the stall rest wrecks the rest of them - I’ll not stall rest anything that isn’t essentially in a cast :woman_shrugging:t3:.

I WOULD however follow the exercise protocol starting with weeks of hand walking and then walking under saddle. The Gillis protocol is good! My alternative choice would be to pasture rest her for 6mo-a year and see what you have at that point.

YMMV, but I did the full stall rest thing and I wouldn’t do it again.

ETA I would keep her in if it’s muddy or slick out, but otherwise I wouldn’t change the routine.

7 Likes

Thanks! I agree with not stall resting her since she doesn’t do anything stupid in turnout and goes out by herself. From what I have read, movement (at the walk, obviously not running) is actually good for these injuries, since it’s essentially “teaching” the ligament how it needs to heal. I am more looking for length of time I need to be handwalking before I start walking under saddle, etc. The vet’s suggestion seems too early for me. I am working with an Equine PT now too, so hopefully she can give me some good advice!

I will look up the Gillis protocol, thanks for the tip!

Where do you and your vet think this comes from? This kind of injury (bilateral low grade but chronic inflammation) sounds a lot like a repetitive strain injury (RSI). For that, the cause is often some kind of mechanical issue (poor posture, etc.), so I would look at that feet. Can you take some good hoof photos (google “how to take good hoof pictures”) and share them here? Without knowing where the injury came from, I suspect you may never actually get rid of it until you address the root cause.

If she’s not going to be silly I would certainly keep her turned out as much as possible.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Feet would be my first instinct, DSLD next.

Interested if OP has a cause dx

3 Likes

The MRI results said: “Athletically induced degenerative injury could be considered in this case”. My vet said essentially, she’s 23 yrs old and has been in work since she was age 7 (when I got her she was a barely green broke broodmare), so this can be just something that happens especially if the hooves aren’t properly balanced. We had an issue with a prior farrier, which I think was part of the problem. Here is a link to recent hoof photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eA3Lj9WFiMdK8dsA8

She’s always been barefoot without issues, but we just put hind suspensory shoes on her to see if they would help her right now. Didn’t bother with front shoes since she isn’t being ridden right now, just handwalking. We are working on backing her toes up, as they are still a little longer than we’d like, but we don’t want to take too much at once and end up making her less comfortable than she already is. She’s currently on a 4-week trim schedule and has been for some time now.

I did ask the vet about DSLD and they do not think that’s what this is, not yet at least. I went back and looked at photos of her from 16 years ago when I got her, at age 7, and her fetlock angles are exactly the same as they are now. We did take some good photos of her angles all the way up to the hock recently so we can compare them as we go, just to make sure we don’t see any fetlock dropping occurring.

This all began last July with her LH. But as time wore on, and no one suspected the suspensories, and they had me riding her, eventually it led to compensatory lameness in her RH. By the time I was told about the lameness locator and the new vet suspected suspensories as the issue, there was damage to both hinds from her compensating for so long :frowning:

By the way, I am by no means blaming the first vets for not finding this earlier…unfortunately this was a tough case with a VERY subtle hind end lameness that was very hard to diagnose.

1 Like

I looked up the Gillis protocol, and I love it! Looks like a reasonable schedule to use. My vet told me to consider my mare’s injury as “Moderate” and use that protocol, which means by the end of Month 3 we should be up to 60 mins/day of handwalking. I do have a question, if this is the protocol you used. After the first 3 months of handwalking, you do a re-check and then the next 3 months are based on the progress of healing (good, fair, poor). My question is…assuming the healing progress is “Fair”, let’s say…it suggests 30 mins walking under saddle for Month 4. Do you switch from doing 60 mins of handwalking to ONLY doing 30 mins walking under saddle? Or do you do 30 mins walk under saddle + 30 mins handwalking (total of 60)? Also, I assume you need to work up to these amounts? For example beginning the walking under saddle at, say, 15 mins, and increasing by week until you get up to 30 mins, rather than just starting out riding the horse for 30 mins…would that be a correct assumption?

We stopped the handwalking and went straight to under saddle for 30 minutes. Unless the weather didn’t allow riding, in which case we hand walked for 45-60. The handwalks were HARD work by the end, marching up a decent incline (hard pack dirt road). 30 minutes gentle walking under saddle seemed about equivalent.

I guess you could do a combination handwalk and under saddle, if you were concerned though! FWIW I’ll start horses out of the pasture at 20-30 minutes gentle walking, so having that 1 hour of handwalking baseline is pretty good.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks! I don’t have any inclines at my barn, I’m in Florida - land of the FLAT LOL

1 Like

You don’t hand walk the balance once you start riding, you just do the tack walking minutes.

2 Likes

It’s so bizarre to me that your veterinarian wouldn’t give you an actual regime to follow? Like 30 mins of tack walking 2x a day for 4 weeks, then add in 5 mins of trotting for 2 weeks, and then build 2 mins every 2 weeks, etc.

Great, thanks for the input!

She told me to get her to 75-80% comfort level with the Bute, then I can start walking under saddle, which seemed WAY too early to be getting on her back to me…hence why I set out looking for others’ rehab programs! I don’t want to rush this.

I am SO grateful for the Gillis Protocol recommendation! I found Dr. Gillis’ website and you can actually have a consult with her for $250 where she reviews all of your diagnostics and comes up with a rehab program tailored to your horse! I sent in all her info, I will let you all know what she says! I’m excited to (virtually) meet with her! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great! Good luck!

1 Like

Oh and BTW you are right with the hooves…she had negative plantar angles in her hinds…not much, but they started out at -2 degrees (LH) and -1 degree (RH) with our prior barefoot trimmer back in August 2023 when we first took rads after the lameness started.

Switched to our current farrier who is MUCH better and he’s been able to positively affect those - they are now at 0 degrees in both hinds, as of February when we took the last set of rads. But I suspect the many years that they were negative put too much strain on her ligaments and may have caused this…potentially also in conjunction with the fact that for the past year and a half we’ve been at a barn with fiber footing and it’s the first time in my mare’s life we’ve been at a barn with that kind of footing. I know that with an unbalanced hoof, that fiber footing can cause strain as well. So I think it was the perfect storm of things unfortunately.

2 Likes

Even 0 PA can wreck them. Trust me, hooves are the biggest PIA to deal with when you have to worry about the farrier and footing!

Good you’re making progress. If that progress stalls out, it’s worth discussing the value of wedging shoes or boots, depending on your situation. I wouldn’t do it if she’s making progress with the angles though!

1 Like

Yep, I believe now they’re saying that positive 2-7 degrees is ideal for PA’s. Anything under 2 is bad news. I am sure my mare has had negative angles for a very long time, so that is likely the cause of the chronic degeneration of her suspensory…and the footing just finally pushed it over the edge. My farrier put hind suspensory shoes on her already…he doesn’t want to lift her heels at all because of what it can do to the suspensory (this farrier illustrates it really well: For Any Job | Harbor Freight (youtube.com))

I do plan on either shoeing the fronts or using boots when I eventually start her under saddle again, to balance her up. My farrier said not to bother for now since she’s just being handwalked, in the grass. I am never taking her in a fiber ring again, certainly not before we get her angles back in line anyway!

1 Like

This. They need to be 3-5 degrees. That said you probably won’t get there but definitely need in the positive.

I’m dealing with this.
My horse has Cushing’s.
High ACTH / Cortisol is catabolic to soft tissue.

1 Like