Hip Bursitis

Dr recently diagnosed bursitis in my right hip, and injected cortisone. My xrays are clean, but the pain has been rather intense for several months, walking, sleeping, riding.

The shot helped alot, but the pain returned this weekend when I rode briefly, so now I’m wondering what I can do, if anything, to handle this by exercising. PT is an option, but I am wondering if anyone has dealt with this on their own and what stretches would be beneficial for riders, specifically.

Not ready to give up riding yet…!

I was diagnosed many years ago w/ bursitis in left hip. (back in the days when mounting from the ground was not only acceptable but a sign of flexibility/fitness). First doc told me to give up riding. Bad answer. Heat therapy was useless. Went to a sports doctor and he told me the following:

1. When sitting at my desk job, sit “like a guy” w/ knees far apart. Do not cross legs, do not sit w/ one tucked under you - I had this little habit…

2. When driving car, sit same way.

3. Sleep w/ small pillow between knees if you sleep on your side.

4. USE A MOUNTING BLOCK

5. Knee to chest stretch - laying on back, knees bent, pull one knee to chest, hold for 30 seconds; do the other.

6. Side leg lifts, standing, using counter or chair for balance: lift straight leg sideways as far as you can; slowly return to floor. 8-12 reps, repeat other side.

Since that time and dutifully following instructions I have only rarely had small flare ups. Depending also on the rest of your fitness program, consider a yoga or pilates class.

Women are more prone to hip bursitis than men because of the way our hips curve. Anything that keeps that curve more of a straight line will help.

Different saddles put you in different spots. I can ride painfree n one brand but not in a another

I’ve been battling with hip pain since a bad fall down the stairs over 2 years ago. Riding aggrevates it like crazy, but the pain usually comes on after a ride, not during. Still working with docs to figure out what is going on with me, I have bursitis in my left hip but they feel it is a secondary reacton to something else, likely in my joint. I’m in the test, wait, see phase right now. But it is very frustrating how much riding sets it off. I have a youngster coming in to back (and I WILL do so!!!), show season coming up, beautiful weather, etc etc.

I wonder if horse width makes a difference. Our really wide child seems to trigger it the most.

My infrared pad helps a lot. I have bursitis in both hips pretty bad and I sleep with the infrared pad on low draped over my hips during the night (or until I get too hot). After about a month I noticed a marked improvement. I also take an Epsom salt bath almost every night to ease my broken body.

I had bursitis in my right hip that ached for about 2 years.
Cosequin makes a couple of different human versions and they seemed to help after taking them consistently for two months.
Cvs carries them and I was usually able to score them buy/get 1free.
I also do pilates exercises and that also seems to help.You can try some on you tube or buy DVDs.Even doing 20 minutes 2x week will strengthen your hips and your seat!

I was having hip pain to the point that I was waking up every night around 2 am needing to take a couple of tylenol to get back to sleep.

I started taking GNC Triflex (chondroiton, glucosamine, MSM, & HA mix). In about 5-6 weeks I had stopped waking up in pain. I also noticed that I was able to mount much more easily (from the block).

I’m not 100% but it is so much better and I’m not taking Tylenol every day anymore.

I’m sure there are less expensive options but I’m operating on the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” principle and for me it would be worth every penny at twice the price.

I’m going to try the “sit like a guy” thing. I realized I have a bad habit of pulling my right leg underneath of my left and sort of resting on the side of my foot. Probably no coincidence that my right hip is the worst.

I had a thread on this topic not long ago and had some great feedback:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253491&highlight=hip+bursitis

It takes time to figure out how to live with it if it is indeed chronic, but I am still riding and walking my dogs with a little help from the right saddle and pain meds. I had to get over my aversion to using drugs to stay comfortable. When I started asking people with bad backs and such how they kept riding (and training multiple horses to boot), the answer was vicodin. So I cut them in half and got over it.

My horse has had time off here and there in the last few months, and I have noticed that I hurt just as much if I don’t ride as I do when I ride. So in that case, I keep riding.

Waking up at night with the burning hip feeling doesn’t even bother me anymore, if it occurs. I just take some pain medication (usually ibuprofen at night), get out the ice packs and read until I fall asleep. This is just not going to slow me down.

I had non-specific hip pain that was hurting right through OTC NSAID’s and keeping me awake. I had to sleep with my knee upright and pillows bracing the whole mess. Riding was iffy, so I learned to drive but getting in and out of the cart was interesting.
Celebrex with Lortabs/vicodin worked great, but I was still working the same job and repeating the same motions that hurt it in the first place, so I changed jobs, which has pretty much made the hip pain vanish. Still agree that you have to be mindful about those habitual motions and postures and do some stretching and exercise.