Hip Protection

I used them on my hot, narrow icey because my legs don’t work quite right and he was soooooo narrow that it was really easy to end up w only one leg on the horse. I felt stable in the saddle for the first time in YEARS!!

Hi Tollertwins,

You have given me some hope in my life. I was not ever planning to stop riding because riding keeps me strong enough so I can still walk on my own two feet (with two canes outside.)

But I was despairing and have been despairing for the last decade, when I got back in the saddle I was so darn weak, and though I’ve been working on it I am STILL weak, plus my poor balance, exhaustion, etc…

I USED to feel stable in the saddle. Now I feel so weak and unsteady, and I know my unsteadiness irritates the horses I ride, though the rest of the horses I ride seem to go out of their way to keep me in the saddle when I get too bad.

I have several muscles that just do not work, like I cannot keep contact with the horse unless I open and close my fingers because something up in my shoulder/elbow just does not work any more. I may have muscles in my core that do not seem to work, and in my legs. I have been working HARD on my position, when I started with my riding teacher I told her essentially that I needed her to be a position nazi since I cannot FEEL when my position deteriorates.

I will order these Rider Grip pads on Monday.

It would be so wonderful to feel some security in the saddle again.

Add Kerrits grip tek half chaps…those plus the rider grips = glue.

https://kerrits.com/products/griptek-half-chap

if you don’t see a size you like, I have added this stuff to a bunch of my half chaps and boots. It curls up after awhile and your saddle flaps get a little glue-y, but I don’t care. I patch the curls and clean the glue off as necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0…?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Saddle tite might be good too.

Just checked back to this thread and Duke will accept Medicare so there is no problem with insurance and you don’t usually need a referral with Medicare.
Also i have a gel seat saver but the cover is very sticky. On a recent spook I didn’t even move in the seat. so comfy and safe,
I also have weak legs getting weaker with no one being able to give me a diagnosis. So I now have a very comfy , small , professionally trained horse. I find him boring but friends say I’m crazy. I’m just used to a little trouble , he has plenty of go but listens so well I could be asleep. I call him my “old lady” horse.

@tollertwins, I finally got my Rider Grips, then I had to wait a few weeks because of the weather preventing me from riding at the stable of the lady who is so very good at “seeing” 3-D how stuff goes.

But today I was able to ride there and she put two on the saddle flaps, under my thigh, knee and the top of my lower leg. I had shown the grips to my other riding teacher and she told me that having the two (one for each side) under my knee/thigh was OK but she did NOT want me to put one on the seat or further down the flap. My riding teacher also told me NOT to wear my wonderful silicon full seat breeches. I think she likes how I flow with the horse.

So today I got out a old pair of breeches, some I had stopped wearing because they were just too slippery. At first the main difference was that my knees were about 1/2" further apart. Then I noticed that I did not slide around as much in my old (not full seat) breeches as the last time I rode in them. When I finally trotted I did not feel like I was sliding around the saddle like I usually do. I felt much more secure in the saddle even though I was not in my silicon full seat breeches.

Thank you tollertwins for telling me about these grips. As we all know the best way to avoid breaking a bone is to not fall out off the saddle! I finally felt more like I did back in the dark ages when I rode in cavalry twill breeches that did not have any added security like suede at the knees and I did not slide around in the saddle.

You may have saved me from many falls. The next time a horse acts up under me I should be able to cope better.