Hip Replacement and healing process

How is it going bushhog?

Cheering for you!!!

Bushhog, I’ve had both hips done. I went to PT longer than a lot of people do, but I wanted a perfect gait. He helped me develop the muscles and small movements that allowed me to make bigger movements. I never felt I would fall, and I never did. I was riding, painfree, about 8 weeks after the second replacement. Eight months after the second replacement I hiked the Great Wall of China.

There were many times my PT said, “now, when I was a young therapist I would have … but now I know better.” Maybe it’s because I’m older (60+) but I’m not a member of the no pain, no gain club. I’m willing to be consistent and work hard, but I really don’t think pain should be part of it.

Good luck to you!

Barrel racing and hip replacement

My horse riding passion is barrel racing and unfortunately I need a full hip replacement for both hips (bone on bone). Has anyone out there had hip replacements and still barrel race? Thanks!

Well…Nick Skelton just won the gold medal in show jumping at the Olympics. He has had one hip replaced and I think his laundry list of maladies included 2 knee surgeries and a broken neck!

Having had one hip replaced, I would see no problem riding however you want with 2. I actually have a better range of motion in the artificial hip than I do the un-done one. Get them done but follow post-op instructions to a “T” and physical therapy as instructed. Your patience will be rewarded and you will be amazed how it feels to be pain free:).