Hip Replacement and healing process

I had a left hip replaced in April. I am still unable to walk without a walker or cane. I could probably ride, but haven’t tried that yet. Can anybody tell me how long it was until you could walk after a hip replacement?

You poor thing. I was walking without a walker in about 3-4 days and without a cane within 2 weeks. Back in the saddle in 3 months - could have ridden sooner but I was being conservative.

Have you had a post op appointment with your surgeon? Was does the doc think of your recovery?

Best of luck to you.

I had about the same time frame for cane and walker as GallopHer.

I had the Superpath approach where they don’t cut any of the muscles and I was driving at ten days, back to work in 3 weeks and on my horse (a couple walk only pony rides to start) at 4 1/2 weeks. I was 59 y.o. when I had my replacement and pretty crippled before the surgery.

You don’t mention any complications but you should be shed of the extra legs by now. I would definitely be having a discussion with the surgeon.

Jingles.
Susan

I had been on crutches for 10 months prior to my THR. I think I was off the crutches within a month, and then off the cane in another 4 - 6 weeks - and I remember that part as having a ‘fear’ factor involved. E.g. I had had walking aids for so long I pretty much had to force myself to leave the cane in the car.

DH was walking unaided within days of both of his THRs.

My DH was back in his race car 8 weeks after his THR, and he had the posterior approach which is a more cautious rehab period.

[QUOTE=tollertwins;8776875]
I had been on crutches for 10 months prior to my THR. I think I was off the crutches within a month, and then off the cane in another 4 - 6 weeks - and I remember that part as having a ‘fear’ factor involved. E.g. I had had walking aids for so long I pretty much had to force myself to leave the cane in the car.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is me. It was bad for 18 months before surgery and I got used to cane and transport chair. I have been able to drive since the first week and they did cut muscles, which took about 2 months to allow me to sleep in a bed. It doesn’t hurt now, I’m just unsteady and am afraid to fall. I fell during physical therapy and sprained my ankle.

I have had both hips done in the last year and both times I was off crutches by a month. I was down to one crutch after three weeks. I did limp a bit for a while but now I am more than 2 months after the second and walking well.
I do start off stiff, but no pain. I find the physical therapy and stretches on my own make a huge difference.
Is your other hip good? I was doing pretty well after my first but then the other started to bother me so I went ahead and got that done too. I felt the recovery went better/faster with the second and was told “that is because I had one good leg to stand on”.
I have not ridden yet. I planned to after my first but couldn’t even sit on my saddle without it hurting. Now I can do that! So I plan to soon. I am just waiting for my final check up before trying.

I had THR in 2012 and was walking unaided within a couple of weeks. The PT was instrumental in getting better, but the therapists were nazis, in a good way. I was riding at 8 weeks, as soon as Dr. would let me. Now, shoulder replacement, another story…

DH had his hip replaced on June 28. “SuperCap”, minimally invasive, procedure. He was walking, with elbow crutches, as soon as the anesthesia wore off, home the next morning. He was walking with his crutches for about a week, then started walking without. Unfortunately, he sat on a high stool in a particular fashion and popped his new hip right out of the socket on day 10!

They put it back in and told him CRUTCHES, and a brace, for 4-6 weeks. I think I managed to make him use both for about two weeks before he got rebellious. His visiting PT said he’s doing well, so whatever.

He’s been walking unaided, again, for about 10 days now. He is driving. So far so good, he’s walking much more easily than before the replacement, or even before the dislocation. I think the dislocation was a freak thing, he sat on this weird stool with a sharpish edge, then let his leg fall down without putting his foot on the foot rest for support, the edge of the stool acted like a bottle opener and popped it right out.

DH is only 54, fairly athletic and, though his hip was in terrible shape, he was still walking unaided (albeit slowly and with a limp) prior to surgery. That, and the minimally invasive procedure I think have helped him recover quickly. He goes back to his surgeon for follow up on Friday, but has no more restrictions at this point.

Thanks for all the info. I also have sore knees and sciatica which is probably not helping. The other hip seems ok, though. I could also lose some weight.

Hi bushhog,

Don’t get discouraged. I too felt like I was progressing in a turtle-like manner during the first few weeks. I feared falling, and used my walker and cane for quite a while. Not because I was not progressing, but because I was terrified.

Please work at your exercise/walking program. That is the key to your success! I was not allowed to drive until 6 weeks post op. Once I was again independent I started swimming and attending Aquafit classes. That was the point where I really began progressing.

If you need to take pain pills to exercise, do it. The exercise must happen, no excuses allowed.

I seriously think I need to do swimming exercises. I am getting better, but it’s very slow. When I fell during PT, I couldn’t get up and had to be pulled up by a very big guy. Now I’m afraid if I fall alone at home, I’d have to call paramedics and I don’t want to do that. I can get up and down ok from a chair and it’s getting easier with the cane.

I remember that fear of falling! As you grow strong, the fear will leave you. You can not wait to recover, create your recovery.

Get out of the house! I would sometimes go to Walmart, just to walk! The security of holding a shopping cart made movement easy. I would stroll slowly, and walk the entire store. Haha, if you do all of the aisles, you have covered a lot of ground. The smooth floors, make walking easy. Knowing there are people around if you need help will make you feel secure.

Your job is to get moving. I challenge you to plan a physical activity for each morning, afternoon and evening. If standing is a little tricky, start standing up every half hour throughout the day. I began walking a loop of the house at the change of television programs. Next day, add a few isometric exercises. Following day, every thirty minutes, stand up, sit down, stand up walk. Sit down, isometric exercises, one repetition added. Nothing has to be extreme, just progressive.

If you need pain management to allow you to do the required work, take it. couple of Tylenol can make a great difference.

Thanks, painted. Those are great ideas. I am not in pain, really, except for my back a little. It just all feels “unsteady”. I will try the walking around during commercials tonight.

I read Canaqua’s story of her husband’s new hip dislocating with interest. I read all these who say they did everything in a matter of weeks and felt sort of wimpy!

I actually forced myself to wait as the physical therapist told me because I figured it was the rest of my life, I could leave stuff undone for a while.

I am glad now. It has healed really well. Still starts off stiff but so does the rest of my old body, lol. The first hip I had done 6 months earlier is great though, so I know this one will be too.

Hi bushhog,

How is your day going? We are going to an open house at a new WB facility. I was thinking this would be a perfect outing for you.

That would be if I was in your area. I live near Memphis. We don’t have too many warmblood breeders. The only one I know of breeds Friesens to TBs. Have fun.

:frowning: Too bad. We will be viewing some stunning animals.

Painted pony is right … Walk … You’ve gone past the best time to walk (ASAP after surgery)… So you have a bunch of catch up to do. I had to teach my muscles to walk normally. Same about pain. The pain meds are not for comfort. The meds are to allow you to walk right after surgery . move… walk… move … walk and more walking. Then stairs …

A tip … a pool is great for walking without fear of falling. The water reduces the weight yet provides resistance.