Hip replacement--falling off

I’m going to have a hip replacement using a titanium rod, ceramic head, and plastic liner. My surgeon has said I can ride at 3 months post surgery but he is reluctant to give me specifics about how it will hold up to a fall.

I’m 51 years old and I have good quality bone, as far as I know.

Anyone have any advice or information to offer me.

Thanks

Dorothy

I hesitate to share this, as it might be a “worst case scenario” for you, but it still might be useful information.

Several years ago, my mom had a total hip replacement. About a year following surgery, she tripped over the dog in the house and fell. The replacement punched right through her acetabulum.

She did not have good quality bone–she’d had the replacement because her pelvis was riddled with metastatic breast cancer–and perhaps that’s why she had such a catastrophic injury from simply falling to the ground in the house. After helping her through that, though, if I had to have a total hip replacement, I would be very uncomfortable riding for fear of falling, and, at the very least, would GRILL my doctor on the possibility of something similar happening to me.

On the other hand: I was 49 when I got my right hip replaced (now at age 59 I need to the other done, but that’s another story).

Although never tested, I think I had/have good bone.

In the last 10 years I’ve…ummm,…parted company from my horse at least 3 times and with fairly good force. No issues. Plus I’ve stumbled in the pasture during the winter more than afew times and fallen directly on my knees on icy ground. Those falls didn’t do my knees any good, but the hip has been fine.

I think the quality of your bone plays a part…and of course just luck.

Good luck!

Simkie–your poor mother; how horrible that must have been for her.

Kyzteke–I’m sorry to hear that your knees have taken a beating from the falls, but I’m glad your hip is OK. I’ll probably have to get both hips replaced but starting with the worst one first and seeing if getting that one done might make the other one feel better. If not … I’ll be the bionic woman on both hips. Whatever I need. I just can’t stand being crippled up at only 51.

Man, I hear you!

Good luck and just make sure you follow all the post-op & PT orders. You will be SO happy you had it done.

I got a sticky saddle and quieter horse…but I had more going on in that leg than a hip replacement.

The prosthesis is likely to be stronger than your bone. I have heard of ski-ers fracturing the bone around the prosthesis. I think that these guys went down at pretty high speed, tho.

I think HOW you come off is more critical - so that you don’t dislocate. And how that could happen would vary depending on your surgery type.

Right, I got a quiet smaller horse/ my doc is more concerned about the femur breaking than the actual replacement part.

I think about it all the time/

I got ice cleats too.

I am a real clutz.

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. I’m going to ask my ortho more about it next visit. He answered my question in an email very generally. I need more info. I’m a detail oriented person.

My mare is generally quiet and on the lazy side, but she is not bomb proof or a complete “beginner” proof type. I’ve owned her for 8 years and have only fallen off once, but there were a couple of other times that were close–big spooks and one bucking episode. For the most part, she is well behaved and doesn’t spook big enough to dump me. But, a horse is a horse …

Dorothy

PS - I had “my first” at 52…and then promptly screwed the other one up. But the doc won’t touch it for awhile yet…

Even tho I still have some issues - it’s a hell of a lot better than not walking!

I know a woman in her late 50s with two hip replacements who is going training level next year.

And I don’t know if you could ask for more inspiration than this:

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2010/jan/25/denny-emerson-fights-his-sports-future/

He is vague because there is not data…

The durability of hip replacements for equestrian sports is at best antedotal. NO single sports studies to date.

The best you can do is continue with a regular hip strengthening program after surgery and IMO make sure your horse width is not outside the ROM limits of the prosthesis.

Best thing you can do is get to a college or local higher level library, go to www.pubmed.org and type in “hip replacement surgery” and just plow through the articles.

You will get all your questions answered there.

Regards,
Medical Mike
Equestrian Medical Researcher
www.equicision.com

Had my hip replaced a year ago, I’ve taken a few falls and my hip is fine.
I can do more now, then I could prior to my surgery. I don’t think you’ll be at a higher risk for injury, then a person with a real hip:D

THIS ABOUT SAYS IT FOR ME TOO ```

THIS EXACTLY ```

BUT WHEN YOU DO FALL DO NOT TRY TO FALL TOTALLY AWAY FROM YOUR ‘FAKE’ HIP AND TAKE THE ENTIRE FALL ON YOUR OTHER SHOULDER :eek::eek:

I TRIED THAT AND TORE MY ROTATOR CUFF :eek:

NOW THAT SHOULDER SURGERY IS TERRIBLE :yes::eek:

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR RIDING AGAIN :yes::cool::smiley:

Thanks everyone! It’s interesting how many horse people have had hip replacements. Glad to hear everyone is riding again. Gives me hope that I will be riding soon too–because of this pain, I haven’t been able to ride in over a year and a half!

MORE THAN HOPE — YOU WILL GET YOUR LIFE BACK ``

MORE THAN HOPE !!! YOU WILL GET YOUR LIFE BACK… NO MORE PAIN

YOU WON’T WANT TO GET OFF THE HORSE !!!
A WHOLE NEW WORLD !!!

ANY QUESTIONS ?? BE GLAD TO ANSWER …

My pony kicked me directly in my new hip about a year after I had it replaced. Not super hard but enough to knock me down and cause a good bruise. Hip is fine.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your stories and input. It gives me more confidence for when I have the surgery and finally get to start riding.

Slightly off topic, but check into the direct anterior approach - not every surgeon does it, but the recovery times are much faster.

I’ve heard about the anterior approach making recovery a bit easier, but it’s already decided–I’m going with the posterior-lateral approach because that’s what my surgeon prefers. He’s very experienced and has done it as many different ways that there is out there. That’s what he feels is best for me, so I’m going to trust him and go with it. It will take a little longer for recovery, but I’ll get to the same place in the end.

As long as I can ride … :slight_smile:

KNOW YOU ARE WORRIED AS I WAS BUT PLEASE BELIEVE US YOU WILL RIDE AGAIN !

YES, I KNOW HOW WORRIED YOU ARE …

I WAS TOO BUT … YOU WILL BE SO VERY RELIEVED TO BE OUT OF YOUR PAIN AND SO VERY VERY

HAPPY TO BE BACK IN THE SADDLE !!!
LIFE WILL BE GOOD AGAIN !!!

HANG IN THERE … YOU CAN AND WILL GET THROUGH THIS AND WONDER WHY YOU WORRIED AT ALL ``