Unlimited access >

Hip replacement surgery & getting back on

Sorry to read this… Hopefully you will have a stress-free recovery. I never did rehabilitation, just walking.
My main issue was the height difference until I had the other hip done. I just used a lift in my shoe. Maybe once the pain is under control you’ll get around a lot better!

Wishing you the best!!

I was 62 when I had a THR, anterior approach. The only reason I had to spend the night in the hospital is because the anesthesia wrecked havoc on my stomach and I couldn’t keep anything down. I had a couple sessions of PT, but basically, it was just walking and slowing easing back into regular activities.

Sorry you’re recovery isn’t going as you’d like, but we’re all on our own journeys. Mine went great and I was back in the saddle 10 weeks after surgery. Everything is so much easier and like so many others, I wish I’d had it done years ago. That said, I didn’t have your crash on the pavement, ouch!

My recovery from the hip replacement was much much easier than the one from the broken ankle the year before.

It’s been 1 year now and I’m feeling so much better than I did in the years leading up to the replacement.

Best wishes for a complete and awesome recovery.

I really appreciate the above replies, thank you! One thing I’ve realized reading COTH hip related threat is-mentioned in initial post?-the individual nature of recovery. And I am definitely not trying to break post hip op rehab records, HA! My main motivation at present is maybe a bit unique; I have to get up 14 stair steps (did half today) in order to collect hidden stash of cash to pay my August horse board hahahaha!!

Lesson learned: stash cash on first floor, already! Luckily, the BO is super nice, and okay with waiting this month (I usually pay a few days early, on the advice of my mother, who assured me it would buy time when late, with most folks). Eventual riding is the ultimate goal, but one small [stair] step at a time, to grab that cash :slight_smile: !

It’s heartening to hear that not everyone a has big physio program to follow. I’ve had physio in the past to keep me able to do chores on my former small boarding stable, but will play it by ear. I’ve had so much physio done that I get the ‘friends and family’ rate at my sport’s physio clinic; alas each visit is still app 80 bucks these day. Oh for the days that I had coverage!!

Again, I appreciate any feedback/account of other’s experiences. D’ja notice I’ve not said one word about a return to bicycling, ha. That was a poor substitute for horses, and I don’t care if I never bike again; maybe a BIT bitter, but concede crash was more due to kamikaze rider mindset…

1 Like

FWIW, one of my barn buddies has had both hips replaced, rides 5x a week, takes a spin class, and bikes fairly often. I suspect your wreck is a big reason your rehab isn’t going quite a smoothly.

I am looking at my second hip replacement very soon. My first was ten years ago and recovery was pretty smooth. I think PT had a lot to do with that and it was pretty rigorous.

So I am ten years older and hope this second one goes as well.

It must be the collateral damage from your fall that is making things so tough. I was climbing stairs from day one. My bedroom and full bathroom are upstairs.

So sorry that this has been so hard. I hate pain meds. I wish you a smoother recovery from here on and know you will be back on your horse.

Many thanks to most recent replies, also-grateful to have your perspectives. I was so doped up (altho’ not enough to NOT feel much of the pain) I didn’t think of the very traumatic way I ‘insulted’ my hip, and how that might affect my recovery. Speaking to friends who had hip replacements (one when she was 40), I was feeling a tad behind at this point.

However, the idea of kinda crushing the ol’ hip is a bit different; both friends were experiencing pain from severe osteo before their ops, hence their cries of “Things are super after the surgery!” It was nice to have universal health care here in Canada, but it also meant I had to wait 3 days for a turn in the op room. Definitely days I wouldn’t care to repeat, esp 'cuz every day was a ‘possible’ so I had to fast till 6 p.m., bleah.

I do appreciate the sympathy/empathy! This has really knocked me for a loop, lil’ ol’ ‘bounceback Kath.’ One thing that I hope I got right is schmucking my right hip; when I tumbled off a TB I was exercising in my 20’s I landed on that hip, which had been a bit hinky ever since (but not problematic enough to replace). Better than having the well behaved left hip savaged!

Today I had my staples removed-yay-and I’ve been on Ty3 with a ‘hint’ of hydromorphone for a while now. I feel almost normal on this med regimen vs being off my head in the hospital; especially during the scary overdose I was apparently ‘difficult to contain’ once they brought me back from an unresponsive state.

Riding is a distance off, but I’m slogging in that direction; one friend with a THR began driving a pony/cart after her op (other complications), but I have a svelte 13 hh pony, so am very hopeful! Thank you again for the replies. I really enjoy reading about others THR/riding experiences. All the best to everyone :slight_smile: !!

1 Like

Another week or so has gone by, and I’m a work in progress. Every week or so back home I seem to reach another milestone, modest and weird though they may be! Firstly, I mastered getting in and out of bed; my home physio gal looked a bit bug eyed by my method (“My, that is rather um, athletic”) as I bounced back lightly on the bed and swiftly swung my legs up, held tightly together with pointed toes. Think diver or gymnast, only a lot less glamorous!!

The above scenario has much reduced the use of my bedside commode, and lets DH catch a break. Getting around with a walker was my not so dramatic second tiny achievement; being unable to force myself to rely less on the walker (upper body strength not so handy in this case) led to latest change. I switched to a cane, which while feeling a bit scary, has proved better than the cumbersome walker.

A couple of weeks ago I tried the cane and felt ridiculously, hideously unstable, yikes. So I guess it is solid progress to now prefer that device, yay :slight_smile: !! I’m doing most of my assigned physio, but definitely have a couple not done fully. I do the physio after a Ty3 and ice afterward, but still have some frustrating breakthough pain.

When I’m not thinking what a yutz I was to do needlessly aggressive/crazed biking, I have sure learned a lot thus far: about what deep, evil pain feels like, details of effective cane fitting and use, how I sooo do NOT want to risk schmushing myself again (was in denial of dangers, careening around on bike, eee), etc.

I’ll continue to slug it out, using my late Arabian distance mare as an example; she had such incredible HEART). I would also advise everyone NOT to have a 6 mo old Springer Spaniel pup to come home to!! ‘Jimi Jazz’ was about 5ish mo old when I sped off to ‘stump jump’ etc on my sturdy mtn bike; DH had to Jimi proof the house, including building a literal fence around our bed.

It actually looks a bit like a horse stall, with wood planks and all-just not solid walls. I’ve always wanted to keep my lil’ pony in the back yard (shed is the perfect size, solid DH built with stall mats on the floor…for heavy iron weightlifting plates, but built for equines!), and my
Springer Spaniel safety enclosure could be the start of a paddock, HA!

We equine folk may be a tad nutso, but we are also verra canny :slight_smile:!
All my best to alla you, and especially to those rehabbing in some form or another.

3 Likes

I have a friend who also had to have a THR a few weeks ago after a traumatic accident, and he’s having a much more complicated recovery than my husband experienced (He has had both done for osteoarthritis, and it has been lifechanging in a good way for him.)

My friend is somewhat frustrated in the same way you are. So you are not alone! Best of luck with your ongoing recovery.

You may never be able to take hydrocodone or oxy again. Ever. I had a couple of much milder reactions until I took one, as prescribed, one night and stopped breathing. I remember sitting at the sink, throwing up, and then came to on the floor with DH’s worried face inches from mine. He was ready to start CPR when I came to on my own.

For both hip replacements I was prescribed hydromorphone, which worked perfectly. My sensitivity to oxy is well documented in all my medical records.

Good luck! and I hope your recovery progresses at a good clip.

Just wanted to say first of all I admire your humor while you’re going through this not-as-advertised rehab! Your posts are hysterical, and I do hope your attitude helps bring you to a total, pain-free recovery.

The woman I lease from has a family history of pretty terrible hip joint problems, and she was jumping as a kid and then up to Grand Prix as an adult which did an additional number on them she thinks. By the time she had the first replaced, her surgeon said she had one of the worst cases he’d ever seen (and he helped pioneer the anterior approach so, you’d have to assume he’s seen his fair share). She had a recovery much like yours, and I do wonder if previous damage didn’t complicate things on top of your crash. Nowadays she’s completely pain-free and functional, and rides whenever the mood strikes her!

1 Like

How are you doing OP?

I just joined the hip replacement club. I’m on day 9 of a total left hip replacement. Just finished talking a walk outside to check on my horses. BEST rehab exercise ever!!

I had a labral tear, first diagnosed about 2 1/2 years ago although it was likely there much longer. Other therapies stopped working and a checkup this summer showed I had lost 50% of my joint space in about 9 months. “Failing” as my surgeon said! I’m only 36 year old (very, very young for this) and not a candidate for the cartilage repair (too much dysplasia).

So I made the decision to do something now, because I would need to do a total replacement at some point.

I feel I’m doing very well so far, so knock on wood!!

I purposefully timed it to have the entire off-season to recover so I probably won’t even plan to get back in the saddle until spring, which is okay.

1 Like

I was back in the saddle and showing at 6 weeks post op. I had two close together, was ready to go 6 weeks after the second one.
Probably didn’t get my stamina back for a year though. I’m having trouble moving onto second level, as my sitting trot still isn’t there yet. I lost my schoolmaster and bought a 3yr old, so needless to say I’m feeling fine.
Good luck with your recovery!!

2 Likes

I had that done back in 2007, and you are right that it takes much longer to heal the muscle that they cut. It was about 4 months before I got back on, but I could have done it in three if I pushed it. The only pain was dismounting, when my foot hit the ground.

I am hoping that many of you who have had hip replacement surgery can help me with some answers in regards to riding and strengthening.

I had anterior approach surgery in August this year. I hopped on a horse or two for a few days at 9 weeks post surgery and except for some minor discomfort deep in the hip (not in the muscles) and obviously limiting my ride time, I had zero post riding issues.

Now it’s 4 months post surgery and I just started riding a few days a week. I still start out with some discomfort during posting which goes away. But I really feel like I have very little weight in that operated leg/stirrup and it’s hard to use my leg effectively. Normal?

I tried to be as fit prior to surgery as I could. I do PT pretty religiously and work out with weights doing lunges etc. trying to get fit and strong again. Getting that leg strong seems to be a struggle.

My question is how long does it take for the hip to really fully heal where my riding can at least be appropriate for my age and strength level? (Realizing I will never ride again like I did in my 20’s and 30’s.). Any words of advise? Thank you!

Welcome to bionic womanhood! I have had both hips replaced now. The anterior approach is far easier to recover from. That said, we all have one side stronger than the other, and I found it harder to get strength back from my weaker side. One thing that has helped me greatly is Pilates. It really makes you focus on using both sides of your body as equally as possible. I had my second hip done in October and am starting back riding, with no issues. Other than normal muscle soreness and lack of fitness. I don’t recall any issues with my first hip either, but it was my weaker side.

Are you doing PT with a therapist or on your own? If on your own, maybe get a couple sessions with someone watching to make sure you are using the hip/leg effectively. PT with a therapist was essential to me.

And I am way past 20’s-30’s…Good luck, but I think you can get much more normal over the next few months.

1 Like