Hip Replacement

Love my big pink ceramic balls…metal & poly cups…titanium stems. Bi-lats 6/22/10. Could ride 6 mos. out. Sat. I rode my new horse on a fundraising trail ride for just under 3 hours. She took me on a bucking canter through a field…all held up fine :slight_smile:

Cfourhorses

Bi-lat hips 6/22/10
Breast Cancer 5/11

Its better if you will put it on checked by a Doctor to be able to know if the Hip implant on your body is classified recalled.

update on my recovery

I had THR right side anterior approach on June 28th. We went camping wih our horses Sept 8th - I RODE THE WHOLE WEEKEND WITH NO PAIN. NOT EVEN WHEN DISMOUNTING! I’m still a little swollen on that side and the nerves in my skin have not regenerated yet, but it is great to walk without a limp! We just got a tractor…i spent 2 hours learning how to use it by putting in a training track around the perimeter of our pasture. I plan to get my 20 yr old back into shape along with me. It’s not good to let a horse over 20 take that much time off. hope everyone is well! Anyone have a fun ord different ride planned for next season?

[QUOTE=Star012;5854949]
I had THR right side anterior approach on June 28th. We went camping wih our horses Sept 8th - I RODE THE WHOLE WEEKEND WITH NO PAIN. NOT EVEN WHEN DISMOUNTING! I’m still a little swollen on that side and the nerves in my skin have not regenerated yet, but it is great to walk without a limp! [/QUOTE]

THANK YOU for posting this. I’m having THR, anterior approach, on Dec. 20 (the perfect Christmas gift - the right size and color, and can’t be returned LOL) and have been trying to figure out how long until I can ride. I was told 6-8 weeks, but that seemed like a mis-recollection. whoohoo! You have made my day.

Total Hip replacement

You will be so glad you finally did it! The anterior approach is the key to a quick recovery. Also, going to the physical therapist 3 times a week and REALLY working that hip flexor. Best wishes! Feel free to email or post if you have any questions. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Star012;5859670]
You will be so glad you finally did it! The anterior approach is the key to a quick recovery. Also, going to the physical therapist 3 times a week and REALLY working that hip flexor. Best wishes! Feel free to email or post if you have any questions. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I have been seeing an excellent PT to make me more comfortable and get me ready.

WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM ``` YOU WILL ENJOY RIDING WITHOUT PAIN `

WILL NOT BE A PROBLEM …

YOU WILL SO ENJOY RIDING WITHOUT PAIN ~~~ :yes::cool::smiley:

Hip Replacement.

It’s been a year since my RTHR and I’m pain free!!!
I’m doing more now, then I did prior to my surgery.
Anyone who needs a new hip and is hesitant about having it done, do it. The rewards are so worth going through the surgery.:D:D

[QUOTE=Cfourhorses;5852870]
Love my big pink ceramic balls…metal & poly cups…titanium stems. Bi-lats 6/22/10. Could ride 6 mos. out. Sat. I rode my new horse on a fundraising trail ride for just under 3 hours. She took me on a bucking canter through a field…all held up fine :slight_smile:

Cfourhorses

Bi-lat hips 6/22/10
Breast Cancer 5/11[/QUOTE]

I’m happy to hear your hip is doing well:)

i know how painful it is to undergo such operation with no assurance of getting back to normal.

What a great thread!!

I had my first THR 10 yrs ago this Sept. I was only 49. My surgeon opted for the non-cemented, which was a little uncommon back then.

Consequently I wasn’t fully weight-bearing for 6+wks. and really restricted in movement.

That hip has done well and I was pain free in about 6 mos. total.

But now it’s time for Hip #2. A gal who bought a horse from me turned out to be an employee of DePuy and she told me about this anterior approach. Didn’t mention the light sedation…not sure I want that, 'cause I’m a weenie for pain…but maybe.

But I certainly can’t take that long to recover these days.

Also, I DID have insurance then,but not now. But I recall I did look at the bills back then ('cause I’m also an RN) and the total cost was about $26K back in 2001; that was doc, hospital,sedation, drugs, 3 day hospital stay, 1 wk nursing home stay + supplies & PT.

Did anyone note of the costs now?

Since I no longer have insurance, I’m actually thinking about going overseas to do it, but I want this anterior approach for sure.

I would LOVE to ride without the pain, stiffness and horrid loss of motion…:sadsmile:

I never asked my doc what size ball was going in there – what difference does this make?

Regarding the size of the ball, some info I read said the larger ball would be harder to dislocate. But, what I learned from my surgeon was that with the anterior approach, dislocation is very rare, so he chose the size that would be best for all around usage. I think the total cost not including PT was about $60000. I am located in northern calif.

I’m really happy to see that several folks have had the surgery and are doing splendidly. Told you it was worth it, just do it and get your life back, and you did!!! I so believe that the anterior approach is the key to a great outcome in an amazingly short time. I sure wish it had been available when I had my first hip done.

Please keep posting about your riding activities. For financial reasons, I’m no longer riding, but I can vicariously enjoy what you are able to do!!!

Thanks Star! I am investigating various options for THP and hip resurfacing, both here in the States and abroad.

First quote I’ve gotten in $48K here in the States (N.CA) and $11K in India (includes transport to India).

Funny, they used the anterior approach overseas for year and years,but now use something different (posterior?).

Now anterior is all the rage here in the States. Not sure why the changes in philosophy…still investigating.

I guess it should be a new thread, but anyone ever look into having medical procedures done overseas because of the cost factor?

Great to read all of this!

I am SO pleased to be reading about all these success stories!

I’ve been dealing with a very painful left hip and a mildly painful right hip (osteoarthritis). Both have limited my range of motion and strength to the point where I haven’t been able to ride in a year and a half. Walking is even so painful on the left that I’m considering using a cane so my right side doesn’t get more trashed. I also have some back issues that aren’t as severe as the hip, but I find that the hip pain makes me walk in a manner that makes the back worse.

It took a year to get diagnosed correctly–long story–which has made it even worse for me to deal with.

I’ve been seeing my current orthopedic surgeon since July–the one who finally diagnosed me and has given me a couple of hip injections with some short term relief, but the one he gave me 2 months ago recently wore off and the one he gave me last week doesn’t seem to be doing much, unfortunately.

Since I am overweight and he has been pushing weight loss to see if I’ll feel better after I lose significant weight. So far his goal has been to tide me over with the injections and anti-inflammatories while I drop weight to see how the hip responds to that, rather than rush into surgery–which I do appreciate–no one needs a knife-happy doctor. It makes sense to try conservative methods first.

I’ve lost some weight, but it’s slow going as weight loss is. My hip pain has only gotten worse over time, unfortuately, and it’s really taken over my life. I’ve never had chronic pain like this before and I absolutely HATE it! I’m not cut out to be a couch potato and every time I do pretty much any activity, the hip pain gets worse. My whole leg hurts even when I’m sitting. Not fun! I don’t think I’ve made it clear enough to this doctor what I want out of life and how horrible this problem is for me.

So I’ve decided to seriously discuss his doing a hip replacement on the left in the Spring when I see him for a follow up visit in mid December. I’ve already lost too much of my life to this pain and I’m not willing to do a “wait and see” approach any longer. He’s only been seeing me for a few months … but I’ve been dealing with this pain and life limitations for a lot longer than that. Time to just get this thing fixed and get my life back! I’ll continue the weight loss during this time, but knowing how I feel, I just don’t think it’s going to be the answer to get me back to being as active as I want to be.

The reason I want to off till Spring is that I need to get through the winter taking care of my 2 horses (ouch! but you gotta do what you gotta do). Spring will be a better time because they will be out on pasture, not using their run-in stall arrangement as much (they are potty trained during the nice weather!) and not as much work and I can probably do most of the work myself after the first couple of weeks, which at that point will pretty much consist of just dragging a hose about 50 feet to fill the water. Any heavy work can be done by friends on the weekend, but I just don’t have anyone to take care of them during the harsh winter when it is so much work. I’ll also be able to get outside more while recuperating without fear of slipping on ice, which will be nicer than having to stay inside during the cold upstate NY winter.

I want to be able to ride, go hiking, and even do basic day to day activities without all this pain! So, it’s so good to read about all these success stories. It gives me confidence that I, too, will have a good result and get my life back. If I had some condition that couldn’t be repaired I would have to get used to being sedentary and accept my limitations, but I see no reason to surrender to this degree of limited living when this is something that can be fixed. I’m actually not dreading the surgery … rather, I dread living like this day after day.

So, my surgeon and I are going to have a heart-to-heart talk in December. He’s pretty reasonable, so I think he will see my way of thinking.

Hang in there, DM!

I’m headed for a new hip Dec. 20, and am really looking forward to it. Some would say I’m getting one “too soon” but my other hip isn’t in such great shape, and I think I’ll prolong its use if I don’t compensate so much. I don’t want to wreck my back or lose any more of my life.

One thing that’s helped me a great deal is physical therapy. There are some small things I do every day. Since starting, I get around more comfortably. PT can’t fix my hip, but perhaps it could help make you a bit more comfortable until your date. And if it would make you feel more comfortable or confident, use the cane. If I were walking regularly over uneven ground, absolutely I would use one now.

Other thing is meds. One doctor recommended aleve, but that didn’t do anything for me. zip. Ibuprofen helps me much, much more.

Good luck to you.

JINGLES FOR YOU DM ``` IT WILL ALL WORK OUT AND BE BETTER ``

JINGLES FOR YOU DM

THIS WILL ALL WORK OUT AND BE BETTER AFTERWARDS :yes:

PLAN THE BEST TIME FOR YOU AND YOUR HORSES ```

I CHOSE JANUARY LET HORSES AND PONIES "DOWN' FOR THE WINTER ...[/B] [B]HIRED SOME GOOD HELP

AND TOOK THE TIME NECESSARY TO HAVE SURGERY AND REHAB AND WAS READY TO ENJOY THE SPRING [/B] [B]* PLAN YOUR WORK AND WORK YOUR PLAN

[B]YOU WILL BE PAIN FREEE AND THAT IS …OH SO NICE ~~~~~ :yes: :cool: :smiley: [/B]

Be confident in the procedure. I saw that you opted for the anterior approach, that is a good thing. Many people recommend it, but it is hard to find a surgeon with enough experience with this method. Recovery should be a lot less painful and not to mention faster.
Recovery time is different for each individual, but after a few month you’ll be glad that you choose the surgery. Follow the instructions of the PT and don’t stress it too much at the beginning.
I had the surgery in 2008, and after half a year I was fully mobile, but not pain free. Then in 2010 I had revision surgery, because my implant has failed and was the cause of my pain. But that’s another story, and hopefully the implants on the market today are a lot safer. All in all I’m glad that I opted for this surgery and now I’m pain free and more mobile then ever.
It took me about a year to gather the confidence to get back into the saddle.

Have a fast recovery and keep us posted about your progress.

Hi would be “Hippies”; I had my right hip replaced anterior approach on June 28th, 2011. I am totally pain free and have full range of motion with just about everything. I normally ride in an english saddle, however last weekend switched horses with my husband who rides western. while swinging my leg up and over the saddle, i had a twinge of “tightness” a little pain. But just tells me its not a movement I’m used to. So, I think I will begin a pilates or yoga class. I was back in the saddle after 6 weeks. Tell your PT you are an equestrian and explain the range of movement you need.

I also brought my saddle into the house and practiced getting on and off. Obviously on a sturdy saddle stand.

I’m riding 3-4 hours up and down hills, getting on and off, walking with my horse. (I used to run…but that’s a no-no). So, life is good!

That’s great news! Are you still doing your PT exercises, or just general stuff?

I’m a couple months behind you, but right on track.