Hip Replacement

[QUOTE=Kyzteke;5921498]
Thanks Star! I am investigating various options for THP and hip resurfacing, both here in the States and abroad.
First quote I’ve gotten in $48K here in the States (N.CA) and $11K in India (includes transport to India).
Funny, they used the anterior approach overseas for year and years,but now use something different (posterior?).
I guess it should be a new thread, but anyone ever look into having medical procedures done overseas because of the cost factor?[/QUOTE]

Any news here? Overseas resurf? I’m likely to head to Birmingham for some bionic upgrades. I’m hoping that my insurance will help me out but don’t know where to start.

[QUOTE=MrSmith;6131305]
I had the surgery in 2008, and after half a year I was fully mobile, but not pain free. Then in 2010 I had revision surgery, because my implant has failed and was the cause of my pain. But that’s another story, and hopefully the implants on the market today are a lot safer. All in all I’m glad that I opted for this surgery and now I’m pain free and more mobile then ever.
It took me about a year to gather the confidence to get back into the saddle.
Have a fast recovery and keep us posted about your progress.[/QUOTE]

Sorry you had trouble. It would be good to hear the rest of the story, I’m going to see a doc in DC on Monday…

I clicked on that legal website, its good to see both sides of the coin. Quickly saw some misleading stats, though.

for some reason i feel the need to netflix a jimmy stewart movie:)

Yes, actually. My friend at DePuy was promoted to International Educator for her company, so she’s been doing some research for me (god, I LOVE selling horses – you meet the coolest people!:winkgrin:)…she said India is a BIG no-no, but recommended Canada!

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that in the first place (I’m only 90 miles from the Canada border) - but because of the less than ideal health care system there, the docs are all about cash payments.

She seemed to think I could get a hip done by a top doc WITH hospital costs for under $10K USD…she actually quoted prices like $4-6K USD, but I can’t believe it’s that cheap.

I can’t get mine done till breeding season is over, and, since my knee is also bad, I’m mulling over the idea of getting both done at the same time.

If you want, I will keep you posted for those who may not have great insurance.

BTW, she is able to recommend docs who are proficient in the anterior approach, since she is one of the educators.

Good prices in canada, eh?:slight_smile: It seems like the implant would cost $5-10K, alone. Maybe your Depuy friend could get you a “demo” or “free sample”.

I’m surprised to read that people don’t know which implant they are hosting. I expect to need about 40 years out a new hip so I’m in research overload, looking at multiple options/devices/surgeons.

I have great insurance but the device i want isn’t FDA approved, so off to England i shall go. It looks like i can get a Rolls Royce hip installed by Dr. Royce himself for the price of a Toyota Camry.:smiley:

Implant is only $750 (and we wonder why health care costs in AMerica are so high…):rolleyes:

I asked about a “free sample” and she said DePuy DID use to do this, but the government shut down the program…calling it “advertising” or some such nonsense.

Believe it or not, the typical doctor is only reimbursed by insurance to the tune of $750-$1800 for the surgery.

The other costs are anesthesia and hospital costs. If you go to a country where hospital costs are regulated, you won’t find these huge mark-ups. That’s why “medical tourism” is booming.

My friend has worked with this doc: http://www.uwoortho.ca/bio_macdonald.html
and recommends him highly. And he uses the anterior approach (he’s done 1000’s). He used to practice in America, although he is Canadian by birth.

She is going to contact him and see what we can do…

I sure hope we can do something soon, 'cause between the knee & the hip, I’m in real agony…

Maybe try Canada; they don’t have an FDA AND they have close ties with England. Besides, your doc is really the one who should decide on which prosthesis is used…just because it’s the one you want, maybe not be the right one for you.

[QUOTE=Kyzteke;6139991]
Maybe try Canada; they don’t have an FDA AND they have close ties with England. Besides, your doc is really the one who should decide on which prosthesis is used…just because it’s the one you want, maybe not be the right one for you.[/QUOTE]

My impression of the situation is that the doctors get trained with a handful of devices, usually by the manufacturer’s reps. They then get experienced and comfortable with those devices and don’t have access to others.

If you want a specific device or approach, you have to select from those docs offering that device or approach.

Up to a point that is true. However when I had my first hip done, my doc selected a device that was one of 3-5 he normally used.

Personally, I would go with a device that is well proven (as in 1000’s of cases) as opposed to one that has just been used afew 100 times by one doc and has not passed the test of time…

I know there was a question with one of the DePuy prothesis’ some years ago, but mine has been GREAT since 2001, so I’m very content with my 1st doc’s choice.

And again I have to say, that it really isn’t up to you to select the device…it might not be appropriate for you. Curious – why are you so committed to this one, particular device?

Good question. I’m trying to conserve as much of my femur as possible in case I need it down the line for a revision. I’m 45 and i expect to live to about 90. :smiley:

I saw another surgeon yesterday who said i can expect 10-20 years out of a THR. This was without asking what i do for fun:) So thats a possibility of a couple revisions. I don’t want to run out of options when i’m older.

Hip resurfacing would be a great solution for me as i could get it done in the USA. Sadly, I’m not a candidate. The doc that developed the most successful resurfacing device (the Birmingham Hip) is in, you guessed it, England. He has also developed a closely related device that spares almost as much of the femur as a resurf device. Its called a Mid Head Resection and isn’t FDA approved yet.

http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/birmingham-mid-head-resection.html

The BMHR has data from 7 yrs ago so maybe it might get approved here in 3 years?

I bet your industry friend has some interesting private data about devices and docs:cool:

Well, I feel for you, but I own the t-shirt. I had my R hip done when I was 49, and I was about 3yrs overdue.

At the time, ‘cemented’ surgery was the norm, so you could get up and walk sooner. But after interviewing 3 docs, I went with the one who recommended a NON-cemented procedure (which wasn’t that common at the time). It meant a longer recovery time, because I had to observe all these phyiscal restrictions; I was not 100% weight bearing for TEN WEEKS.

The prosthesis the doc recommended was also relatively new, but he felt it had proven itself in the lab. As an RN, I had faith in my doc, because he had a great rep, and it proved to be true. It’s been over 10 yrs now, and I have zero complaints!

Has this doc in England seen your rads, so you know for sure you are suitable? And you might investigate"medical tourism" – I saw England listed on many of the plans.

Now, if you’ve told this doc you are a rich American, he might be charging you more :), but then I’ve been quoted charges of $28-48K for the whole she-band here in the States.

Good to hear yours is good at 10 years. The ten weeks on crutches must have been a drag.

I have sent my rads and mri to England and got the thumbs up. This was after sending them to the top resurf docs here, who all said “McMinn”.

The cost including airfare is about $25-30K

The price list is in these FAQ

http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/faq.html

He does knees too;)

If i go i plan to look at some horses etc so I can write off the airfare, at least:cool:

WOW, looking at his FAQ’s it says 4-6 months efore returning to golf. Mr P was back playing golf at 6 WEEKS

Health Insurance denial …

As a point of info … Blue Cross of NC will decline to cover you if you have a hip or knee replacement.

Any other insurance companies do the same ???

Well, yet another example of health care in America. Soon that will be illegal (fingers crossed).

Since I currently have no insurance I can’t speak for others, but I DID have insurance several times after I had had my hip done and there was never an issue.

But then, I wasn’t ready for the 2nd hip during those times, so it’s possible they might have fought it if I’d tried.

I should have been so lucky! I was in a wheel chair when I went back to work (I had already taken 6 wks off), because I couldn’t stand long.

I was working as a floor nurse in a nursing home, and many of my patients were also in wheel chairs, so it was pretty funny to watch me trying to chasing them down to give them their meds!!:lol:

No, I am very happy with the prosthesis I have and once I find the right doc I will trust their recommendations.

In my case, I am more concerned with #1) affordability and #2) finding a doc experienced in the anterior approach, as it’s very important that I shorten recovery time this round.

But I would love to go to England…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=rotlaw11;6219196]
Just have a regular check up with your doctor to know your progress. You should be aware that some of patient were experiencing to much pain but some of them were just recover very late.

Depuy hip recall[/QUOTE]

So this is what constitutes work for you at Rottenstein Law Group? You troll through public forums, trying to drum up business for personal injury lawyers? And today’s assignment is equestrians and hip replacement? :frowning:

The nerves need time to regenerate and in that I agree with. But I think you should take a second opinion.
Resurfacing of hip Michigan

Thanks to all who posted info! I am in need of replacement due to necrotic top resulting from femoral neck fracture in October of 2005. My limp is getting worse but I am still able to ride so I keep putting off surgery. My biggest concern is amount of time out of the saddle. Six weeks I can do but not much longer! I was nonweight bearing for ten weeks with the fracture and not back riding for a total of fourteen weeks. So thats what is holding me back from surgery! What is the biggest rehab challenge you faced?

Physical therapy was the biggest obstacle for me, I hated it!
I was back riding after six weeks, but it was painful. I waited twelve weeks to really ride again.
It’s been almost two years and I feel great. I’m able to do anything I want, without the horrible pain I use to feel.
The surgery was so worth it…:cool::cool:

Physical therapy was the biggest obstacle for me, I hated it!
I was back riding after six weeks, but it was painful. I waited twelve weeks to really ride again.
It’s been almost two years and I feel great. I’m able to do anything I want, without the horrible pain I use to feel.
The surgery was so worth it…:cool::cool:

I had minimally invasive surgery and still had to wait 4 months. Just do it during the worse time of the year, like winter.