Unlimited access >

Hippo from Kimberton Hunt in PA

Two weeks ago I bought, at auction, a horse nicknamed, “Hippo”, who had apparently hunted with the Kimberton Hunt in Chester County. I don’t know anything else about him, except that he was used as a whip’s horse and he did the hunt team class at Devon ( shown as “ Just As I Am”) and won. He was advertised as a 12 year old, but my vet thinks he’s closer to 16, based on his teeth. I had been looking for something closer to 10, but was willing to stretch to 12, and based upon this misrepresentation alone I could return him (I have 30 days). I really like him, though, and still would like to keep him, but there are a few things that raise red flags. The auction was in late October. The hunt is still going, so why is he being sold now, and also he is not fit at all, which makes me wonder why- he should be at the peak of condition as a hunt horse at this time of year. Also, he is extremely hypersensitive when pushing on his croup, but there are no obvious reasons why. Oh. The only other thing we were able to learn was that he was owned (or ridden?) by someone named Rich Hornberger. Does anyone know this horse or anything about him? Obviously I want to know if there are any issues that I wasn’t told about but also I’m just curious about his past, for example, has he ever been driven or done dressage? what’s his actual breeding? ( he kind of looks like a light Clydesdale cross), why does he seem to dislike donkeys?( I’m afraid to put him out with mine) etc. He’s generally a solid citizen, already went to the beach and very quickly got used to the waves. Why was a horse like this at an auction?

Kimberton Hunt and also Richard Hornberger both have Facebook pages. Perhaps you want to send either page a private message?

1 Like

I know this horse. Please message me.

Oh, --a mystery --this is starting to sound like the start of a Rita Mae Brown book. Perhaps the painful croup was the result of a nasty blow as the whipper-in was way-laid by an unknown assailant on the hunt field . . .who brutally struck the horse causing it to bolt . . .having caused injury to the rider, and being the only witness, the horse was sold at auction --but maybe the cruel assailant who struck the horse so savagely will be always remembered by the horse, who one day for saw the attacker and . . .

4 Likes

There are auctions that allow the return of horses? A 30 day return? I thought an auction was always an as is, where is sale.

1 Like

Donkeys are an acquired taste for many horses.

2 Likes

@MCM746 I sent you a PM

So. . . What is the deal? Curiosity!

4 Likes

I’m curious too! Has the mystery of Hippo been solved?

3 Likes