Unlimited access >

HITS Ocala

Interesting observation, I also noticed that Week 6 at WEC is now listed as sold out.

We will be at WEC the next few weeks. I’m excited to see it all… and excited not to go to HITS.

Most people want a nice fun environment. A safe and healthy place for their horse(s). Lower costs and higher prize money is nice. Points matter very little. I have one daughter chasing indoor points and we are still going to WEC. She’s doing jumpers for a few weeks and of course entering the Equitation Cup. My other younger daughter will be doing the children’s hunters and children’s EQ.

We will have a blast and all have agreed that points be damned.

3 Likes

The trainer receives the car. There are no $ prizes in EQ.

That’s not true—the $100,000 is for the trainer, the winner receives the car. WEC ran a similar class in Ohio a couple of years ago and the kid who won the car was a very nice, deserving working student IIRC. WEC’s prize list clearly states: “The Winner shall receive a brand new car & new this year we will feature a $100,000 trainer bonus.”

And from the full class specs:

Awards will be awarded to the top 12 competitors. Special prizes may be awarded to each placing. The winning
rider will receive a brand new car, compliments of the World Equestrian Center. * Refer to additional Rules &
Regulations that may apply. Riders will be required to be present for presentations in the ring with their trainer.
The winning riders name will also be engraved on the World Equestrian Center Premier Championship Cup which
will be displayed year round in a prominent location at WEC.
 In 2020 a special trainer bonus to be awarded:
o $100,000 given as a trainer prize
 $40,000 awarded to the trainer of the winning rider
 $30,000 awarded to the trainer of the 2nd place rider
 $20,000 awarded to the trainer of the 3rd place rider
 $10,000 awarder to the trainer whose name will be drawn at random. The trainer will
have had to have a rider who competed in the class, and the trainer cannot have won
the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place trainer award already.

2 Likes

Boy, I just love this part. How nice that they are including the random prizes for the people who might not always end up in the winner’s circle. What a great idea!

1 Like

So your kid may be eliminated and you’d win $ 10K
Maybe I should enter the dogs! Kidding kidding!

That is quite a sum of money :eyes:

That is a lot of money for a kid to win for a trainer.

I have some concern about the pressure that potentially generates.

I would like to think of it as a good opportunity to practice performing when the stakes are high, like at an equitation final.

That being said, I can imagine there might be situations where it could take a bad turn.

1 Like

Yes, it would be a great practice of high stakes, but I question placing the responsibility for basically doubling a trainer’s yearly salary on a minor’s shoulders and, of course, their horse’s cooperation…

I dunno. I’m really trying not to poopoo this. But throwing $100k at an equitation class a mere 4 hours away from where every top equitation trainer in the country is right now is just more status quo catering. I admit I keep going wrong thinking WEC was anything other than that to begin with.

6 Likes

For sure, but remember that most of those top-tier kids are riding in Prixs of equal (or more) value anyway, with trainers who make WAY more than what that class is going to pay out. My trainer has one kid down there who’s mostly showing at Ocala, not a household name by any means, but has two nice horses and can lay down nice trips on the right day—they’re excited about it.

2 Likes

Tell them I’ll be rooting for 'em :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I noticed on the hits schedule the past week that the hunter Prix classes were changed to Friday. They’ve always been on Saturday for last several years. I assume this is to compete w WEC derby day Friday. Seems like a losing strategy to me.

1 Like

Used to be standard at the multiple opportunities to qualify for Big Eq BITD. One could ship from show to show and literally hit all three( I did say bitd) Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

wipes eyes

Until it hurts their bottom line, badly, and for at least 3 consecutive years I doubt they’ll care.

2 Likes

Yeah I have to agree. The numbers at Ocala aren’t tiny, per se - 23 today in the WIHS. That’s not small. Granted, it’s not the 60+ of WEF, but…

1 Like

What does BITD stand for?

Back in the day

To compare, at WEF this past week there were some 25 younger adult hunters per section. At Ocala, there were 30, one section. So definitely fewer, but still sizable and some really nice horses (though not WEF of course). For my part, I wanted to go to WEC badly, but honestly, I can only afford so many shows and want to qualify: another reason some might not go there…If only I were 17 and in contention for a car!