Unlimited access >

Hock protection to prevent capped hocks

Is there anything on the market that provides enough padding to prevent capped hocks?

The horse in question likes to kick the stall with her hocks ahead of feeding time. She has been moved around to a few different stalls, but she does it to all of her stable mates. She is in a boarding situation, so probably can’t mount padding on the walls–hoping to find hock shields/padding to provide some cushioning when she does hit the wall with her hocks.

There is already some hock swelling–hoping to avoid big ugly capped hocks.

My 26 y.o. gelding was boarded outside for 19-1/2 years but he wasn’t getting proper care. He hates stalls. I found a new barn with windows in the stall grills so they can stick their heads into aisleway. His attached oversized run is always open just like a shed. Everything is perfect except the hair on his hocks started looking strange. I’ve never seen that before. It took some thought but I figured it out on my own. He likes to sleep outside under the overhang or in the stall. Mats! He was wearing his hocks out.

I got some Hock Shields from Clink Products. They are padded and the outside is very tough neoprene that sheds water and dirt. I’m amazed that they stay so clean. They are marked for right and left. They have Velcro and elastic on the straps so you can adjust them to fit without getting too tight. They stay right where they belong, which got the BO’s attention. I thought he might walk funny for a day but he didn’t care.

Now he’s the happiest horse. We got the stall with the biggest run on the south side by the parking lot. He likes to observe when he’s not snoozing in the sun. Ample room for napping. He has mountains of hay inside and outside. If he sticks his head into the aisleway and screams someone delivers sloppy soaked grain 3 times a day. He is back to his normal weight. His hocks are looking good. We are both relaxed and very happy. Everything is perfect.

2 Likes