Unlimited access >

Holiday Thread-- Remembering Loved Ones Who've Passed On

In the last year, we lost my husband’s father and stepmother and my maternal grandfather. I know they are all where they truly wanted to be, reunited with their loved ones and free from pain and sadness.

My husband’s mother passed away more than 15 years ago, I know he thinks of her often, but espeically around the holidays.

I’d also like to remember Salty, Amber, and Rusty, my beloved school ponies I lost in a car accident 7 years ago. They were attacked by a pack of dogs, and in their frenzy to escape, broke through the fence and into the road, where they were hit by cars and killed.

I’d also like to remember our beautiful gray TB Tabor Dance–he’d been bred to be a Dreby winner, but in the end settled for being a winning 'chaser and event horse, and eventually a good dressage pony. He severed all the tendons in his leg in a pasture accident 4 years ago.

And my kitty Screech, who was poisoned 5 years ago.

And my wonderful farrier Bob, who died of an out of the blue heart attack two years ago, at the age of 47.

None of them are ever far from my thoughts.

This post has made me tear up. To my Grandma who died 14 years ago of cancer. To Susie, my mothers cousin, who also had cancer, and left a family of 3, and 2 grandchildren. To my friend ----'s grandfather who died earlier this year. To Ibikus (by Inshallah)who died in July after only breeding to 3 mares. To the wonderful Cicero (by Cor de la Bryere, who also died this year). To Rabbit, who (died May 99) died giving birth to a wonderful american wb colt. Happy Holidays everyone, keep those in your life close to you.

To Grandmom, PopPop, and Grandpa, though your family misses you greatly, we know you are watching us and waiting for us together.

To Hayden and Berry- you were both taken from us much too soon, but we prefer the choice of enjoying happy memories instead having to watch your suffering. I love you both and miss you always.

always,
Jen

To Sandy- She was the mother of a family friend who is my age, she lost a 3 1/2 year battle with metastasized breast cancer just over a week ago. She had a stronger spirit than anyone I will ever meet. It’s a miracle she lived as long as she did, and in as much pain as she was in. Even though we weren’t that close, your death makes me realize how fragile everything is. She was only 46, and left an 18 year old daughter, and an 8 year old son, as well as several step-children who loved her like their own mother.

To Grandpa Milton- Even though you died over a year ago, it still seems like yesterday. I never really realized how much I would miss you until it was too late. He went in for a surgery to repair an aneurysm, had the best doctors and the safest procedure avaliable. The artery burst after they had repaired the damage, and he died a day later. It was such a shock, especially because later I found out from my mom that he hadn’t wanted to go through the surgery at all, but did it for all of us. That’s the hardest part. I love you, I miss you, and I won’t ever forget. And, I’m so thankful I got a chance to say goodbye. The pain of missing you comes less frequently now, but when it does… it hurts as much as ever.

To Grandpa Harry- Hi. I wish I could have known you. I’ve heard such wonderful things. He died several years before I was born, he was crossing the street when he was killed by a drunk driver. I don’t really miss him, because I never knew him, but I wish I did.

Valerie
~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
Valerie’s home page

so I’m posting here too.

To all who have lost souls dear to them, my heartfelt sympathies. {{{HUGS}}}

This year I will face my first holiday without my beloved dog Gatsby, my best friend and companion for nearly eighteen years. I made the hardest decision of my life and put him down in early June… God, I miss his warm friendly fur curled up at my feet and his happy tail wagging a welcome when I get home each night from work.

I miss my Mom, who we lost to cancer after a long fight eight years ago. She was only 56. The single most incredible person I ever met and the one I owe everything to.

The holidays are always tinged with just a bit of sadness now as they are always compared to the happy times when our family was still intact. However, I count myself lucky to have had the love of such special relationships in my life, and I try to remember that not everyone has been so fortunate.

There are so many people who will face the new year without loved ones who were lost in all sorts of tragedies - not just the events of 9/11, but “ordinary” tragedies… car accidents, illnesses… so many which seem random and possibly avoidable. Seems a good time to remember to give everyone you care about a hug and a smile, just because.

To appreciate heaven well
'Tis good for a man to have some fifteen minutes of hell.
Will Carleton (1845-1912)

I think mostly of my Grand dad, he was the best, he was like a dad to me!! It’ll be 4 years on April 7th. I also think alot about my god father who died a year ago the week after Christmas, and my friend Katie who died last year in a car accident. Gosh I never thought I thought about so many people around the holidays. Losing people is hard, but when you think about where they are and how happy they must be, you just got to be happy for them! That’s cheers me up around the holidays, and keeps me positive!

~$~Catherine~$~
“Love is when your horsey cuddles with you even after you left him alone all day.”
VERY WELL EDUCATED, BLAH BLAH
My gutter?!?! Buena Vista Baby!
Unapproved Princess Clique

I can’t believe she’s been gone for 3 months now. I miss her so much! I can’t describe how much I miss her. I miss everything about her…her face, her “feed me” nicker, “her” smell…and mostly her very special presence. Having to make the choice to put her down just tore a hole in my heart. I know that I did the right thing, and that gives me a lot of peace. I also know that I am handling the loss very well, but that doesn’t mean I miss her any less.

This will be my 12th Christmas without my Pop-pop. He died from colon cancer that spread throughout his body. I was only 10 when he died, and I was so completely devestated that I never even cried. It took 10 more years before I finally mourned his loss properly. He always encouraged me in everything I did, and loved me no matter what. He gave me my first “Winning isn’t everything” speech after the first time I failed to place in a class at a horse show. He had a wonderful sense of humor and was a kind gentleman to everyone he met. He loved to golf and work in his garden. Roses were his favorite. I can’t look at a rose today without thinking of him. I always had a special bond with him, and I miss him to this day.

On the 13th anniversary of his death, I will be placing flowers in my church to honor my grandfather. But I have yet to come up with a fitting tribute to Lady. The day she died, I went back to the barn later in the day and split her leftover carrots among her turnout buddies. I honor her by sharing my love with other horses. But as for a permanent tribute, I am at a loss. It’s probably too soon for me to think of it. But if you guys have any ideas, I’m all ears.

Thank you RumorsFollow for starting this thread. I believe that even though the body may be gone, the love remains. The special love I shared with Lady and with my grandfather is something that I will keep with me always. In this way, nobody ever really dies.

~Sara

My mother just passed away yesterday due to a long illness, it was nice to see this thread. She rode back in the 30’s up in NY and trained under Gordon Wright, Cappy Smith and numerous other instructors. She was the one who inspired me to ride and compete successfully at A shows. I am having a very difficult time dealing with the loss, I guess time will heal. I have an awesome pic that I will post tomorrow,I have to get it scanned, that was taken at Madison Square Garden in 1939, when she won the Team trophy along with 3 others that competed with her. She ended up marrying in 1941, and retired from showing, to raise her family.My condolences go out to all the families that are having a hard time during this time of year.

To my friends Rodney Nicholson and Art Prillaman, one was my dearest friend in high school, the other in college. Both died of AIDS. Both loved me for myself. Both affirmed that I was/am a person of worth when I didn’t feel that way about myself. Both made me laugh. Both made me a better person by their witness to the world.

I feel so privileged that they both chose me to be their friend, and I hope I do honor to their memory.

Having been touched by cancer too much in one family, I fondly and with longing miss my father, grandmother and grandfather. Started in Sept 1994 with my dad, and carried on every 6 months till my grandfather.

I can say I dislike the holiday season. If it weren’t for my mom, my husband, my dog and my horse somedays would be unbareable. Having been told a number of times “it gets easier”, all I can say is when?

Thanks guys! I’m still crying daily (less now) over the loss of my very best friend and equine companion–2 weeks ago. If you haven’t read it, look up “In Loving Memory” in the old threads—it shouldn’t be that far back…

There’s another thread going on here about SO’s and horses. My hubby of 8 years always knew he could never compete with Mandarin, and he still thinks that I should “be over it” by now!!!GGGGRRRRRRRRrrrrrrr

For my beloved parents, who were completely mystified by my obsession with horses, but honored it and supported me faithfully when I needed them. Daddy died in 1976 and mother in 1986. I wish they could know, I hope they do know, that I grew up O.K. and have a good marriage and they have two rambunctious grandsons.

For my mother-in-law, Lois, who left us very unexpectedly and way too soon last year. The boys especially miss their Grandma Lois.

And in memory of all the four-legged friends I have been blessed with. Irene, the comfort cat; Canoe, my best friend and guardian angel, Shadowfax, Oscar, and all the rest. I owe you all so much. Thank you.

I was actually just thinking about my first horse, Katie. Almost 3 years ago to this day (it was Dec 22) I was last minute Christmas shopping with my mom when I get home to my dad looking weird. Him and my mom talk for a minute, and my dad looks at me with tears in his eyes and says, “Katie’s dead”. Apparently she was turned out in the indoor arena, b/c it was too cold to go out (Canadian weather) and she was playing around. As she was cantering toward the barn, she slipped and fell…and never got up. The vet was called and got there in 20 minutes, but she was already dead. I was told that while she was lying there, she was whinnying and trying to get up, but she couldn’t. Still, 3 years later, this brings tears to my eyes. She was my first horse and together we learned so much. I still think about her everyday.

Well My good friend lost her twin boys prematurely. Although god does things for certain reasons I wish he would have not taken these boys away because I know they would have been great kids!

I also miss my Black Lab! She was a good friend and will be missed dearly!!

My grandfather. He enjoyed every minute of life, loved parties, loved to gamble, cheated at poker, drank too much wine at every holiday, was furious when he just came to the United States and found out that McDonald’s doesn’t serve wine or beer (“How can Americans eat this crap without booze?”)never really learned to speak english, instead preferring to make up his own way of pronouncing words. Eggs was pronounced “egh” because it has 2 g’s. He used to sneak my cousin and I into the garage before dinner so we could all have cookies, dipped Grandma’s Lhasa Apso(sp?) in red kool-aid because he thought the dog would look cuter that way, fell asleep at every movie but then was very opinionated about how good or bad it was. He used to get little blue pills ( the ones that Bob Dole used to do ads for) and chase Grandma around the house. When he was in a wheelchair he always wanted to race other wheelchair-bound people. He was also my biggest cheerleader at every horse show, always cheering for me and sticking his tongue out to every other rider in my classes, and if you were to have asked him, I was the best at everything. It seems like my whole family fell apart when he died in '98. No holiday, birthday, horse show, or vacation will ever be the same.

Christmas is one of my most favorite times of the year…as it is for so many!!

However, December is a hard time for me, alot of the ladies of my family have “left” in Dec.

My mother passed away the beginning of December several years ago, my grandmother passed away the middle of December 2 years after that, my sister had surgery Christmas eve 2 years after that and was told she had in-operable cancer (she passed on a few weeks later).

Had a few really good Decembers after that BUT …

A year ago today we buried my little blond haired grandaughter, just 2 years old. She lost a battle with Leukumia last year…BAD DEAL !!!

I was at Indio in 2000 when we got the bad news and after fighting that battle for all we were worth through 2000, we lost her last December…

Has been a hard day… , tomorrow will be better…

My sympathy to you on the loss of your Mother. Loss is tough at any time, but, I think this is a tougher season than most to have to work through it. I wish you all the best.

I was just thinking about Grammie, my grandmother who was sort of our family’s version of Annie Oakley! She was a true American West horsewoman, and I’m sure it’s from her that my sister and I got our horse-riding genes. She used to tell stories of riding her horse, Dan, on overnight trail rides, and of moving the neighbor’s herd of cattle from one range to the other. What a gal! Grammie and my grandfather would always stay with us on Christmas when we were growing up. Of course, my sister and I could hardly sleep, and we’d wake up my grandparents at about 4:00 a.m. Christmas morning. But they were real troopers, sitting there bleary-eyed while the kids tore through their presents in a frenzy.

My Granny, 93 and gone this summer, who never thought she would outlive her son, my dad who died of a sudden heart attack 5 years ago. The only show Granny ever came to see me in scared her so much she never could bear to watch again. (I took the top telephone pole off a drop jump at Bay Ridge when it was right outside of Clifton).

Daddy who promised me that if I could save enough money to buy a pony then he would pay to keep it for me. Thanks, Dad, Taffy is 30 now and getting creaky, she will join you soon.

Ron, died of AIDS years ago, I think of you every Christmas when I get that once a year holiday greeting from your “cousin”. I still love you both dearly.

Galley, the best little lady app pony ever, putting you down this spring was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. And lastly, Lillet, your death has ensured that your daughter, Maddie, will forever hold a very special place in the hearts of so many.

Ok, I’m back and I’m fortified with a nice salad for dinner, along with a glass of lovely merlot.

I miss my wonderful sister, who died of brain cancer after over two years of battling it, including three craniotomies (the last two being under LOCAL anesthesia), chemotherapy, regular radiation, steriotactic radiation, and experimental lymph node treatment. She and I lived together for nine years here in Virginia until I got married. Luckily, my then-husband understood how close she was to me and accepted her as a regular in the household! She died on March 24, 1996. She would have been 43 years old that summer. I can’t believe it was that long ago. It doesn’t seem like it, especially during the holiday season.

My brother died in a car accident on April 9, 1977. Weasel was one of those special people who, even though he was only 25 years old when he died, every one felt drawn too, both young and old. I remember once, when he was in the hospital following a surgery, hearing of him toasting marshmallows with his 75 year old roommate! Everyone loved him. He had a gift, I guess in part, because he loved everyone, and also because he could make anyone laugh!! There are so many stories about him. . .

And most of you know about my Remmie, who died of cancer just this past August. He was a sainted yellow lab. They didn’t come any better than him.

This may sound strange, but I am also mourning my marriage, and what used to be my family unit.

Thank goodness for my family and my friends, both two and four-footed!!

Ok, that’s enough sappiness for me this evening! Thanks for listening.