Unlimited access >

Holiday Thread-- Remembering Loved Ones Who've Passed On

I thought this would be a good topic, someone mentioned it on another thread and it got me thinking…

Holidays are supposed to be happy times… but I know many people think of them as times to remember loved ones who’ve passed on and are of course here with us in spirit.

Maybe if we all share the people who we think of most during the holidays, their memory will be a little brighter this year.

This includes pets, of course!

[This message has been edited by RumoursFollow (edited 12-05-2000).]

Even though it’s dog…I still miss my Morton, the Springer Spaniel that came in the Morton Salt cardboard box. Ergo the name.

He was a Christmas gift in 1971, lived until right before Thanksgiving 1984.

Was my “bestest” friend in the whole wide world. He was with me through the tumultous years. His passing was worse than my divorce, or any death in the family. And he was “just” a dog.

I will be remembering my mother, who passed away from PSP in June. She always supported my riding and told me I could do anything I set my mind to.

I will also be remembering my very good friend Francis Bacon, whom I grew up with, rode with, and got into trouble with. He died of AIDS 4 years ago. He is missed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JRG:
Having been told a number of times “it gets easier”, all I can say is when?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
My mother died 25 years ago, and I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. Yeh, it gets “better”, but not much. Only in the sense that it doesn’t hurt as often. but when it hurts, it still hurts as much.

For Otter, our beloved 9 yr old chestnut TB, who died on Christmas, 1999 after I had given him a penicillin shot. Your friend Wesley, watched for you for 4 months…

I’m sorry every day and I will be relieved after the first anniversary is over, although it has been 18 years since I last saw my father and it is only slightly less painful.

Thanks for a chance to write about Otter.
Pat

Bumping up…too important to be on page 2.

I couldn’t find this thread over on Off Course, so I am posting it here. Hope that’s okay.

I have many memories that come up during the holidays. My wonderful golden retriever Sunny, who we had to put down three years ago. My great-grandmother who lives in a nursing home. I could go on and on.

But what sticks out the most in my mind this year is all of those who were lost in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. When I think of all of those families who have empty places and empty hearts this holiday season, I shudder and I cry. So many families, so much taken away. My heart breaks for them, and they are on my mind a lot. The merriness and the frenzied buying and holiday cheer is such a contradiction to the violence and the sadness that has touched these people’s lives. While I did not lose anyone in my family to these attacks, I feel very differently this Christmas.

We lost my husband’s mother Dec 4, 2001. It’s still too soon to speak much, but do know that she was one of the most unselfish individuals that ever walked the earth. It simultaneously annoyed the he!! out of me, and endeared her to me forever. She was a mom to me when my own mom lives 1500 miles away.

I am still trying to figure out how to keep Christmas as normal as possible for the kids. I don’t know if I’ll succeed.

^-^
Don’t ask me, I’m just the mom!

If Dressage is Symphony, and Eventing is Rock 'n Roll, then Hunters is R&B

Both of my parents are alive, however this will be my first Christmas without them.

Dad says he is just not up to “having Christmas” this year. He is 2 weeks short of his 80th birthday. Usually we have a party with him the weekend before Christmas. My parents separated in the early 70’s. He will leave this weekend to spend a week with a friend in Oregon. I do not know what is on his mind. He is not a great communicator. I am hoping my brother can get it out of him this weekend. It may be that friend, who is in mid-80’s may be on her last christmas.

Mom is , like Louise’s mom, confined to nursing home. She is more advanced in her dementia. In fact no one hesitates in calling it Alzheimers ( a true diagnosis only made in post mort.) She is no longer with us, just a living shell. Last year was fairly tough to see her confused over Christmas.

So we kids will get together, but something is missing. It may be better than last year. We will see.

_\]
– * > hoopoe
Snowmen fall from heaven unassembled.

I think back about my dad who died in 1976. I think about how long ago it has been, like a life time ago that I saw him last. I miss him, he was the glue to our family, I also miss my cat Virgo who lived to be 17 but she was my best friend growing up. I would take alot of pictures, gladly, even one with a Christmas bow. I miss them both and horses of my past, too.

I remember my friend Brittany Wheeler, who will have been gone for 10 years on July 4, 2001. I actually met Britt at the hospital. We were born with the same immune disorder, and we became friends. We both loved horses, and we started riding together. We were really young, and when she died tragically in a car accident when we were 10, my life fell apart. I saw her grave for the first time the day after my 16th birthday, when I was old enough to go out to the cemetery on my own. I like to think of her as my guardian angel. I know she’s here with me now, and she always will be. I remember her and her parents and sister most at Christmastime. I know that they miss her very much.

I also will be remembering my grandfather, who passed away earlier this year after being sick for a very long time. I know this will be my grandmothers first Christmas without him and it will be an especially tough one. But you can almost feel his presence when you walk into their house, and I know that even though he’s not here with us in flesh, he’ll always be here with us in spirit.

Eight months ago today I lost my dear friend Lewis. He had bi-polar disease - a form of manic depression - and committed suicide.

Lew was the most intelligent, warm, giving, compassionate person in the world. He left behind a loving family, countless friends and a deep, deep pain in my heart.

My parent’s asked me yesterday what I wanted for Christmas this year. After a lot of thought, I can honestly say all I want is to spend time with my family and my friends - to keep them close, to keep them strong. To have them all in my life for a long, long time.

My grandfather, because I know he is watching over me through everything I do. I try to make him proud every day.

Terry, who helped take care of my pony when I went away to school. Being very overprotective of my animals, leaving him at home to get sold was one of the hardest things I had to do, but knowing that Terry was there to take care of him made me feel so comfortable. She was killed in a car accident that October. Even though I didn’t know her for a very long time, she was one of those special people who touched everyone she met and taught me tons in the short time I knew her.

All the ponies and horses that I’ve loved and that have passed on. There are too many to name, but they were all wonderful animals, great teachers, and great friends.

This is for my mom, Gabrielle Lincoln, who left us on New Years Eve, 1999.

It’s been almost a year since you left us and not a day goes by that I do not miss you and wish I could have changed things. I hope you knew I loved you and I wish you hadn’t felt so alone. I am sorry for everything and I would take back so much of what happened if I could - I only hope you are looking down on me and smiling now. May you rest in peace.

Also for Gary, who died to young and to soon from a horrible virus that stole his life away, for Rachel, who I will always remeber. I wish you had known how loved you were - not a day goes by that you are not in our thoughts.

Allyson

Great holiday thread from a year ago. A little sad to read… but maybe a good one to add to this year.

I’m sure this should be on off course… but this is from before off course exsisted… so if someone can move it that would be fab.

RumoursFollow
Ten Oaks Farm

This is a great thread, if a little sad. Sharing our losses with friends can actually make it happier.

I’ve had many losses but this year there are two that are hard fought.

My grandmother Nana, was diagnosed in January with cancer. She was given 6 weeks to live and we all cried miserably at the diagnosis. But then she seemed to be okay-- she was sharp and witty and we hoped that the diagnosis was wrong. Her last month was a great one! She looked good, she shared stories and history that her children and grandchildren needed to know… but she did not even make it the 6 weeks that they had given. One month after her diagnosis we laid her to rest. - She was the head of her family, theglue that kept it together and this Christmas, as I got my gift from her one last time, I am reminded of her and all that she taught me.

It took me and my family most of the year to recover from that great loss but in June we were once again hit hard as my father’s mother. Mimi, was rushed to the hospital. We didn’t learn until recently that she had a major heart attack. She was in the beginning stages of heart failure. She went home and within a week she was up and mostly back to normal. Having learned from our experiences earlier this year, I already had her on my schedule to visit at least monthly. As I write this I must say that I’m glad I did that. This year has provided wonderful memories. Just before Thanksgiving Mimi had travelled to see my family in Florida and the trip did not take well. She was put in the hospital there and we knew that we had reached the beginning of the end. She rebounded enough to go home in an ambulance where she was cared for my local nurses. About a week ago she closed her eyes one last time and fell into a deep sleep… At midnight on Monday night she took her final breath, something that marked (to me) the end of her dialog with her creator. -

So this one in particular is fresh in my mind, I had no idea that I would see my family at Christmas this year and I certainly did not want it to be under these circumstances.

One thing has come of this, peace. Mimi and Nana are with their husbands now, with long lost pets, and watching us from above. This world is a little different because it no longer holds someone it used to, but I do find both Mimi and Nana at times.

Thank you again for bringing this post around, it has meant a lot to me that I could share this.

To my mom. It will be 2 years in February since she passed from a battle with cancer. She was my best friend, cheerleader, and I miss her everyday. I will be thinking about her especially on Dec.28 when I walk down the aisle.

I know you’re there mom. Love you! Kristin

http://communities.msn.ca/KristinSaunders/PhotoAlbums

Susannah the cocker spaniel who had been in the family longer than I had, lost on Valentine’s day a few years back.

Penny, my first show pony. You taught me everything.

Mama and Papa (grandparents) I never knew you but I know that you all were wonderful people

Grandaddy, I’m sorry I never listened more. I was too young to know that one day you wouldn’t be there.

My heart goes out to the September 11th people, the other people on this thread, and Tami Jones and her family. I’ll be thinking of all of you.

marion

My treasures do not chink or glitter…They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night." -Bedouin Proverb

Among those I miss… my mare, Theodora.

She died in the spring of this year, just one month after giving birth to her third (all VERY handsome) son.

She had colic surgery while pregnant with this last foal - and none of us expected her or the baby to make it out of that alive.

But Dorie was tough as nails, and lived to have that boy. But she went down with colic again, it was very bad, and we could not put her through another surgery. So we let her go.

Laura Kraut rode Dorie up to Grand Prix level before she seriously injured her ankle and was retired to have those beautiful babies. I remember when Laura called to express her sympathy, I could hardly talk… I just cried.

She was such a special mare, and a wonderful mother… I still cry nearly every time I think of her. She lives on in her babies.

Dear Moody was the best horse I’ve ever owned, not to mention destined for big things, with a jump in him to rival Rox Dene and here I say, not just because he’s dead and gone and I’m building him up in some way, but because he really did.
A paternal grandson of Secretariat, foaled in Texas, Moody - so named because of his almost human emotions and lack of tolerance for injustace- died of a rare, fatal stomach disorder with no symptoms, no cause, no cure, and totally no recourse. One month before his first show.
Moody is free now to roam the pastures of the great unknown, far beyond our world of limitation, that place where good horses go and where all horses are great.
May I quote in Moody’s honour, the following, a passage from a story by D.H.Lawrence, about a horse named St. Mawr, describing the mysterious frail bond between man and horse:
“With their strangely naked equine heads, and something of a snake in their way of looking round, and lifting their sensitive, dangerous muzzles, they moved in a prehistoric twilight where all things loomed phantasmagoric, all on one plane, sudden presences, suddenly jutting out of the matrix. It was another world, an older,heavily potent world. And in this world the hrse was swift and fierce and supreme, undominated and unsurpassed… St. Mawr drew his hot breaths in another world…from our world. Perhaps the old Greek horses had lived in [this] world. And the old Greek heros, even Hippolytus, had known it…“Meet him half way”, Lewis said. But half way across from our human world to that terrific equine twilight was not a small step…Looming like some god out of the darkness was the head of that horse, with the wide, terrible questioning eyes. And she felt that it forbade her to be her ordinary, commonplace self”…