Unlimited access >

Homozygous Irish Draught Horse

I have the opportunity to breed an Oldenburg mare for free, I would just pay for all the vet bills, I really like RID and RISH’s but the mare is out of Art Deco and typically has Pinto’s, I am looking to have something with less color, but it is not the most important thing to me. The mare is refined, has great movement, but has a weaker back. She is 16’2. I am looking to have a tall, strong foal to use for eventing, fox hunting, and jumper. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Homozygous for what?

What are your other priorities? Foal’s intended discipline? Mare’s bloodlines, general type, weaknesses?

Color, something solid, black, bay, chestnut, gray, and thing to push the pinto color out

I am looking for a tall, strong horse to do jumpers and Fox hunting with, the mare has great confirmation and movement but is a little weak in the back and can be spooky

How tall is the mare? My daughter has a nice IDSH who was sired by Playland Farm’s stallion PL Diamond Hill. His offspring all seem to be good jumpers with calm temperaments. Diamond is not a big horse, but almost always produces offspring who are all a little bigger than the dams.

There are so many lovely ID stallions.

FWIW…you can’t have a “Non-Pinto” homozygous horse!!! Your best bet if you DON’T want spots is #1 Wish for spots! #2 Go with a black stallion (black seems to be a spot killer…ask me how I know). #3 Few RID, ISH stallion have spotted genes. Worst case scenario is you have a 50% chance of spots!! Good luck!

[QUOTE=crosscreeksh;8448479]
FWIW…you can’t have a “Non-Pinto” homozygous horse!!! Your best bet if you DON’T want spots is #1 Wish for spots! #2 Go with a black stallion (black seems to be a spot killer…ask me how I know). #3 Few RID, ISH stallion have spotted genes. Worst case scenario is you have a 50% chance of spots!! Good luck![/QUOTE]

Yeah, no kidding. I don’t think the OP quite understands how those paint genes work :wink:

Best bet, probably, would be to breed to a homozygous grey. And if you get a pinto, suffer through the young years before the horse is greyed out all the way.

[QUOTE=crosscreeksh;8448479]
FWIW…you can’t have a “Non-Pinto” homozygous horse!!! Your best bet if you DON’T want spots is #1 Wish for spots! #2 Go with a black stallion (black seems to be a spot killer…ask me how I know). #3 Few RID, ISH stallion have spotted genes. Worst case scenario is you have a 50% chance of spots!! Good luck![/QUOTE]

Don’t mean to hijack but it does seem like chestnut horses average more chrome than bays and blacks the least. Is there something to that?

[QUOTE=gypsymare;8448840]
Don’t mean to hijack but it does seem like chestnut horses average more chrome than bays and blacks the least. Is there something to that?[/QUOTE]

I believe this tends to be true. There are some fantastic genetics experts here who will jump in, hopefully!!

If the mare is sired BY Art Deco and out of a non pinto mare, she has, at best, a 50% chance of passing on pinto spots. Breed to a black/bay stallion who is homozygous black (no chestnut gene) to increase you chances of fewer/smaller/no pinto spots.

[QUOTE=Riderofrohan;8448329]
the mare is out of Art Deco and typically has Pinto’s, I am looking to have something with less color[/QUOTE]
She is by Art Deco :slight_smile: By the stallion, out of the mare. Foals do not emerge from stallions :slight_smile:

“typically has pintos” - this means sometimes she does not, which means she is heterozygous for Tobiano, which is not something you can change. Every breeding is a 50/50 chance of producing a tobiano. The question is - what other pinto genes does she have, such as sabino and splash.

For this, a picture would help, but for the general breeding help, a good conformation picture would be ideal

It’s up to the mare whether the foal is tobiano or not. 50% chance each breeding. You can’t change that.

If she has other pinto genes which are magnifying the white, then you can minimize that by insuring a black-based foal - black, bay, or brown. To do that you need homozygous for black stallion - EE. He might also be gray, is likely to be gray given the breed you’re looking for, but under that his genetics need to be EE.

Yes - black pigment generally suppresses white, but only with the overo (non-Tobiano) genes. Splash, sabino, white, frame. It has no effect on Tobiano. So the more black pigment a horse has, the less white, all else equal.

KEC Double Diamond and Bridon Beale Street are 2 very proven sires and both chestnut. Dandelion Diamond Rebel is homozygous grey, so 100% it will grey. If you can do frozen, Steeped in Luck is bay. All of these stallions are 16.3-17 and proven hunting, dressage and eventing. I have bred to KEC DD, DDR and SIL. My horses are too related to BBS and why I’ve not bred to him.

Lots of greys in the Irish world…probably one out there for you if you like greys.

[QUOTE=horsetales;8449266]
KEC Double Diamond and Bridon Beale Street are 2 very proven sires and both chestnut. Dandelion Diamond Rebel is homozygous grey, so 100% it will grey. If you can do frozen, Steeped in Luck is bay. All of these stallions are 16.3-17 and proven hunting, dressage and eventing. I have bred to KEC DD, DDR and SIL. My horses are too related to BBS and why I’ve not bred to him.[/QUOTE]

These three are favorites of mine. Steeped in Luck is a gorgeous dark bay. I bred my mare to Bridon Beale Street, and love the filly I got. Definitely got the size from him and substantial bone, I wanted a solid eventer/dressage /all around horse for lower levels, couldn’t be more pleased so far.

I bred my RID mare to a Steeped In Luck son. His name is Pairadox Gold Coin, and he is standing at Walkers Irish Draughts. He is 17 plus hands, has nice withers, is uphill, correct conformation with very nice movement. He is a dark bay, and seems to be producing tall, athletic foals. I will say, his owner is lovely to work with, and my maiden mare took on one cycle on a second dose as she ovulated later that we thought she would. So his quality was excellent.

There is also Beeston Laird, he is very tall, over 17 hands, grey, very nice mover. He was high on my list as well. There are some really nice RID stallions. I love Braveheart, but he might not be tall enough, his temperament seems superb though. I have a mare that is sired by his sire, and I would take five more just like her.