Unlimited access >

Honoring traditions

It’s been cold the past week here in southern Maine. Lots of frost on lawns and roofs. A couple of days ago everyone was cold - not enough layers. Time to complain about the approaching winter and lament passage of a summer’s worth of heat waves.

We have a long-standing tradition around here. Need cash? Check the pockets in your winter jackets. There will be money in at least one. My best is $23 and some loose change.

I broke with tradition today. Not on purpose.

I stuck my hand into the pocket of a barn jacket.

I figured I would score at least 10 bucks.

Wrong.

There was no cash.

Just a handful of Molasses flavored Rounders.

Horse was willing to gobble them up.

I was still broke.

Maybe I should check the dryer.

11 Likes

Or the couch. There’s a veritable gold mine of loose change in some people’s furniture. Not ours, sadly. My latest groping only yielded two pennies and some stale pretzel pieces.

I love ho you found old horse cookies. Here in Florida, a forgotten horse cookie is likely to be a freak show of funguses and bacteria within a short time frame. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

our German shepherd dog has a $20 bill in a pocket of the collar, its there from when my wife used to take the dog out on long trail hikes… it is the “just in case” money

That comes from the old days of when we were first married and had only one key to the house, if either of us needed to go somewhere we would just clip the house key to our then GSD’s collar knowing no one could get the key from Charlie unless Charlie knew them

13 Likes

I have never in my life found money in a coat pocket, change in the couch or any money in the bottom of my purse or in the car!

If I found a $20 by accident just once in my life I would feel like I won the lottery.

Jackets are always a good bet, as I rarely carry a purse.
When I do its a small one & sometimes I’ll find change when I switch to a different wee purse.
Wallet was DH’s - now on its very last leather leg - so that goes from purse to pocket to purse & the folding $$ goes with it.

I washed my car’s keyfob the other day, when purseless Me left it in a jean pocket.
Not the fancy new High Tech Keyless one, but I would have still missed the AutoLock/Unlock feature.
It survived the wash.

Wayback when I was Owner/Landlady of a 2-flat in the City I found $100 cash(!!!) on my deck.
Undoubtedly belonged to one of the college-aged boy tenants, but as they also left a nice puddle of puke on the deck I considered it Found Money.
IIRC, it bought me a nice coverlet, set of sheets & lunch for a friend.
Same tenants left a Kenneth Cole Reaction jacket hung on a porch post out front.
Nice waterproof back shell over a fleece inner jacker - lots of pockets.
When it was still there that evening I claimed it.
Noone ever asked after it & 20yrs later I still wear it.

I rarely find anything of value in my own pockets - just one limp baby carrot, maybe, in my barn jacket. Or some old tube of topical cream. My DH’s pockets, however…treasure trove :wink:

I once found a $50 bill on an empty parking lot while walking my dog.

My father used to hide money in books on the dining room shelves. I found some, by change, after he passed away.

1 Like

I grabbed a pair of R M Williams Australian stockman’s boots, unclaimed after months in Lost Property. They sell for about £380 at the moment.

1 Like

I usually find coupons in my jacket pickets or work bag when I clean it out. Good coupons. Except they’re always expired. :rofl:

1 Like

Aww I never find money in my coats. All I have is a bunch of old peppermint wrappers.

I have found money in my tack room before. I unzipped the bag I keep my clippers in and found a $10 bill.

1 Like

A good friend found $300 in one of her cookbooks (which she had hidden there and then forgot she had done it!).

1 Like

Sorta Same:
I got a pair of Timberland hikers at a discount outlet for $18 (retail $100).
A couple years later, after hard service as my barn boots, a crack developed across the vamp of one boot.
Co-worker told me Timberland had a Free Replacement policy.
Sent boots to Timberland, got back a new pair.
When those wore out, I admit I considered asking for a 3rd pair :smirk:

1 Like

I have a small plastic container in my tack trunk from my junior days that was meant to hold earrings and small jewelry but I use to store my studs. I haven’t needed studs for 20+ years, but the container stays in my trunk because it seems like the logical place to keep it. Recently I was cleaning out my trunk and decided to open up the container just for funsies and discovered the side of the box not holding studs contained two extra full cheek keepers (which could have saved me a recent purchase), a hairnet, and a $20 bill. I’m sure I kept that in there as emergency food money for shows but it’s been sitting there hiding out for a few decades. That was a nice surprise!

3 Likes

I found money in my tack trunk “catch all plastic container” a few months ago…of course it was Canadian money. Not terribly useful right now, unfortunately. Clearly a left over from showing at Thunderbird years ago! I also found money in books my mom had after she passed away, that she stuck there to keep it safe. I then had to go through every book and notebook and file folder she had. It was quite a bit of cash!

1 Like

All I ever find is crumpled tissues.

2 Likes

I once found 10 euros on the street which was like a miracle to me as I was very broke at that time and this money bought me several days worth of food, enough to survive until the next paycheck.

I also got to claim a perfectly fine rain jacket as my own when somebody had left it at the barn and never returned for it/never confessed that it was theirs. It was a nice brand, as new, my size and fave colour (turquoise)! Wore it for ages and still have it for barn chores.