Unlimited access >

Hoof abscess; coronet band, after care

My horse suffered from a hoof abscess that busted out the coronet band. He did not show any signs of lameness, until there was already a line along then coronet band. He wouldn’t put any weight on the hoof and when he did was severely limping. . I soaked the hoof and that next morning he was back to normal (it had busted open). Per instructions from my vet and farrier I soaked the hoof twice daily in Epsom salts, , cleaned with betadine and kept covered with a sock. I did this twice daily. Now he is back to his normal self, no lameness at all. I was told I could discontinue soaks. I did these for 3-4 full days. But I was told I should keep it dry and covered- still cleaning wth betadine twice daily. My question is- the sock is now sticking to the wound- and then the scab gets pulled off and it bleeds (very little). How do I keep the wound covered? While keeping dry? The soak was suggested because it allows the wound to breathe but still keeps it covered and protected from flys and dirt/mud. I didn’t have an issue when he was on stall rest, but now he is able to go out, 2 days in a row he came in with a bloody sock. I even tried to put triple antibiotic cream on it, to prevent rubbing. Keep in mind wound is on outside side of coronet band. Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated!

I have a horse who, when he gets an abscess*, always expresses on the lateral side of his coronary band. I’ve never been told to put a sock on it, but just to soak. However, his abscesses occur in the wintertime when there aren’t any flies. I do put neosporin or one of the other anti-bacterial ointments on the opening.

If the sock was taking off the scab I’d stop putting one on, and depend on the ointment to keep it clean and covered.

*The two horses of mine who do get abscesses have had some injury to their foot in the past, and the abscesses occur only during our wet (mud) season.

At this point, you probably don’t need the sock anymore. If you really must keep it covered then a non-stick gauze pad taped on should help. Elasticon should work well, but it’s a PITA. If it gets a good scab on it then it is keeping itself covered and a layer of antibiotic ointment should be fine. If there are still a lot of flies something like SWAT around the wound should help.

[QUOTE=Firefly8949;8861807]
My horse suffered from a hoof abscess that busted out the coronet band. He did not show any signs of lameness, until there was already a line along then coronet band. He wouldn’t put any weight on the hoof and when he did was severely limping. . I soaked the hoof and that next morning he was back to normal (it had busted open). Per instructions from my vet and farrier I soaked the hoof twice daily in Epsom salts, , cleaned with betadine and kept covered with a sock. I did this twice daily. Now he is back to his normal self, no lameness at all. I was told I could discontinue soaks. I did these for 3-4 full days. But I was told I should keep it dry and covered- still cleaning wth betadine twice daily. My question is- the sock is now sticking to the wound- and then the scab gets pulled off and it bleeds (very little). How do I keep the wound covered? While keeping dry? The soak was suggested because it allows the wound to breathe but still keeps it covered and protected from flys and dirt/mud. I didn’t have an issue when he was on stall rest, but now he is able to go out, 2 days in a row he came in with a bloody sock. I even tried to put triple antibiotic cream on it, to prevent rubbing. Keep in mind wound is on outside side of coronet band. Any suggestions? Greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

I use Alushield spray on leg problems. It keeps the flies and dust off, but I don’t know how it would work in mud. Ask your vet if you can dispense with the sock bandage and just use the spray.

How mucky is the turnout area? If he’s not lame, let him move around. I’d just wash it in soap and put some antibacterial something on it. Try to keep him out of the mud. It should clear up fast.

The big problem will be when the horizontal crack grows down to the nail area if he’s in shoes. It’s going to be a weakened area of the hoof wall and you will find out how good of a blacksmith you have if there is a shoe on that foot. A good blacksmith will be able to minimize the corrupted wall and get nails in the foot that won’t cause large chunks of hoof wall to fall off. The opposite is a bad foot with missing hoof wall for 6 months.

I have good luck with Equiade with these sorts of problems. And my horse always has something going on with his legs, hooves etc… It is pricey but you mix it up and paint it on. It is gray and it dries like cement. He’s been out in muck with all this rain we have had and it hasn’t come off. It is antibacterial etc. and it seals the area. http://www.equaide.com/ Some feed stores do carry it… I have also used it on wounds that are threatening to develop proud flesh… and it does the trick.

Thank you everyone for you responses! Unfortunately it is either bone dry in the turnout or a swamp…and it just rained. So he will be staying in for a few more days anyways. Hopefully there will be a nice scab on their by then! I’ve been using triple antibiotic ointment and the sock has not been sticking to it, but again he has been inside.

Second Alusheild! Worked perfectly when my gelding’s abscess popped through the coronet at the front of his hoof. Wrapping just made the wound angry looking, but with Alusheild it began to heal quickly.

Just be ready for a gavel to possibly occur as the hoof grows out.

The Alusheild, can you get it at a regular store? Like tractor supply or feed store? Or do you have to get it online? I’ve never heard of a gavel before?

I have found Alushield at tractor supply. I called to make sure that they had it in stock.

[QUOTE=buck22;8865118]
Second Alusheild! Worked perfectly when my gelding’s abscess popped through the coronet at the front of his hoof. Wrapping just made the wound angry looking, but with Alusheild it began to heal quickly.

Just be ready for a gavel to possibly occur as the hoof grows out.[/QUOTE]

I think this stuff is magic. I use it on pretty much any scrape or cut, unless it’s super close to the eye.

And yes, you should be able to get it at any farm supply store. TSC should have it, but best to call to make sure.

this is a gavel

Its a hole, or weak spot or crack in the hoofwall left after an particularly nasty abscess pop at the top of the coronet. It takes an entire hoof cycle for it to grow down, naturally. As it gets about halfway down the hoof, depending on a number of factors, it can split and cause complications.

My own horse has had two in 20-something years with me. One was from being impaled by a piece of wood in the coronet. That created a mighty gavel because the wound had to be opened and flushed by a vet. It had to be wired together as it neared the toe months later, until it was finally grown out.

The second time was just a few years ago from a nasty abscess that popped at the coronet. That gavel grew down in 9months and never caused any issues with splitting, etc., though I was rasping it every week to keep the edges round and smooth.

In neither case was my horse’s soundness compromised.

[QUOTE=Puddin Pie;8865412]
I have found Alushield at tractor supply. I called to make sure that they had it in stock.[/QUOTE]

If you can’t find the Alushield, similar human product is called Liquid Bandage or Liquid Skin. Any drugstore. Comes in aerosol or a little jar with a brush (like nail polish). Usually only need to apply it a few times-lasts a couple of days and it’ll either be scabbed over or the vets coming back in a week. Easy fix for hock sores too.

Ditch the sock so that thing can scab and dry out and keep him out of the mud until it’s closed completely.