Unlimited access >

Hoof boots over shoes?? Anybody tried this?? or an alternative suggestion??

What kind of boots? good in snow?

I have specialty navicular shoes on my horse, they keep him sound. but! he keeps ripping them off (he lives in oversized rubber bell boots, but yesterday he pulled a shoe… again). He’s got very poor feet and cant afford to lose anymore of the hoof wall!

So now, thinking outside the box. Putting a hoof boot on him and see if that saves his hoof. Any stories? have people tried this before? or any other suggestions?

While I have not turned horses out 24/7 in boots, I have one horse that I use boots when riding. I’ve used easy care, old mac and renegade. I think it comes down to which brand fits the best. For my horse, easy care is the winner. That same horse once ripped his entire front right hoof wall off in a freak accident. After initial period of vet and farrier working together to ward off proud flesh, my farrier used a hoof cast until the he grew out a new hoof. That worked really well and highly recommend casting when shoes are not practical.

1 Like

I had my mare in (regular) shoes and Easyboot Gloves for several months during founder rehab. She was turned out in a paddock with them, hand walked and stalled with no issues. She had also previously been worked and turned out in a large field with them on when recovering from a minor sole abscess. Again that was shoe + boot. Boots were basically to keep dirt out of the abscess hole until it calloused over.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve used easyboots over shoes. My horse pulled shoes constantly in mud. Worked like a charm. I took them off daily to clean. You may need to size up.

1 Like

If you are trying to protect the shoes, I would also consider a pair of well-fitted Scoot Boots with mud straps. With the correctly sized mud straps they are nearly impossible to remove via over-reaching unless they somehow shred or tear the boot, at which point, nothing would have helped. The mud straps are designed to keep the boot from being sucked off over the heels in deep mud, but also help with overreaching.

They are also safe for turnout and daily use, as they are not made with any absorbent materials and have great drainage.

I am not a Scoot Boot rep! I just really, REALLY love mine, which I use for daily schooling, jump schools and heavy trail riding. You may have a rep in your area that can actually come out and help you fit the boots, too.

3 Likes

Why is he losing shoes? What does your farrier say about the reasons they are being pulled?

Usually it’s either a breakover problem or some other interference; which are possible to fix to some degree with trimming.

2 Likes

Adding on to mlb722’s size up comment, I actually took a spare shoe (that came off a front foot) to the store and jammed the shoe into boots until I got the right fit. One stop shopping is the best way to shop :slight_smile:

1 Like

Easyboots are great! We have a mix of either wet as heck weather and clay - so muddy, sticky mess and dry and HARD weather. My previous gelding has sensitive feet, especially if farrier accidently trimmed a bit short. So from either soggy wet feet and a bit of thrush or sore from fly stomping…

Anyways, long and short of it, I bought easy boots online for a third of the price in store… last years model but eh.

Measure 100x but they are fabulous.

Oh and tip - cut a small piece of leather the size of a hoof, place it in the bottom and it will save alot of wear on the boots

2 Likes

Horse is in a full K-bar navicular shoe… thats the interference lol but the shoe must stay to keep horse sound :slight_smile: and add on it hasn’t quit raining all summer and hooves wet as all hell. The conditions for poor feet arent ideal!

Thanks for the tips! The leather piece on the bottom is svelt! thank you for replying and chatting :slight_smile:

You’ll wear through hoof boots decently fast if you’re putting them on a shod horse. I would go with something like Shoe Secures (www.shoesecure.com) that are actually designed to keep shoes on.

1 Like