Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center volunteer!

Hi. I have been volunteering at Hoofbeats here in Lexington for about a year now, ever since I started taking dressage lessons on my Willie from the head of the program (she also teaches regular lessons, I am not in the therapeutic program.) They have the TRAV Show coming up this coming weekend at the Horse Center and I will be there Friday afternoon and all day Saturday and Sunday helping. Then the next weekend, Oct. 17th, the vet practice that did Willie’s surgery is doing a free emergency horse care clinic for the public at the Hoofbeats barn from 10-2, and I am also going to help with that. (Figure I can show people how to take heart rate, temps, and clean pee-pee holes right up there with the best of them at this point :lol:) I have found that volunteering at these events is very rewarding and I am very glad that I have become involved. I urge any horse person to try it -you won’t be sorry. The hours may be long, but being involved with these very special children and adults in these programs is priceless. :yes:

Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding

Hi All,
I wanted to post a new program my 501c3 non-profit is going to be offerering to our wounded warriors. Equine Assisted Therapy which will include licensed professionals for Hippotherapy and Equine Assisted Psychotherapy. I am very excited about this.

I am in WA state. We will be doing the program on a 50 acre ranch which is donating their area. At this time they have 5-6 horses we will be using. I have a medical team volunteering their time as well.

In case you want to help we will need:

Contacts for hay and grain dealers that will donate
Helmets in good condition to donate for riding
Volunteers to help that have been around horses.
Of course as always cash donations…

Thanks for helping me spread the word!
Janice
Heartbeat Warrior
www.heartbeatforwarriors.org
janice@heartbeatforwarriors.org

Eventgroupie–OMG! I volunteered with them junior/senior year (are you at W&L?) Is it still at…Liberty Hill? It’s been such a long time since I’ve been down there (I’m class of 2000) but I loved that farm. I even took a few lessons there myself, mostly on Caboose (BIG gray 7/8 Perch/QH cross.) Somewhere I still have the keychain from the volunteer banquet. They had the best open house/fun show days. If anyone’s around Lex you should absolutely give it a go!

No, I’m not at W&L- I do work for a lawyer, though :smiley: My hubby and I moved to Lexington in 1999 and live right near the VA Horse Center. That is where Hoofbeats is now located - they moved there a couple years ago. Carol still is the Director, and Caboose is happily retired at Maria’s. Small world, huh?

LOL, yep! Caboose is the one who once decided he didn’t want to work so he was going to trap my arm between his head and chest! Very nice, very obliging, and I couldn’t move my hand to get he bridle on. Silly horse. I do miss Lex. Great horse country.