Unlimited access >

Hormonal Issues In Mare

Has anyone had negative scans and bloodwork for Granulosa Cell Tumor and then found out their horse does have a tumor. My mare displays a few symptoms of GCT and Ive had her checked twice by two different vets. The second vet said the way I described my mare it was worth to do the blood work. Here I am 1.5 years later and a 3rd vet has suggested I have my mare checked for GCT. I did not go looking for this opinion. When I said she’s already been checked twice this vet said they can have one and it not show on diagnostics. She said they have pulled ovaries out of horses with tumors that have not showed up on scans etc. Now I do not know what to think.

I had a mare that had a leiomyosarcoma on an ovary. She had behavior changes…only when she was in heat. Then she was the devil…until she ovulated then back to my sweet horse. When she was painful she was ok to handle on the ground but was becoming increasingly difficult under saddle when in heat. Balky, kicking at the leg and getting worse with each cycle. Heaven forbid you were her paddock mate. She savaged him a couple times taking chunks out of his chest. Poor guy…it was all his fault.

I assume you have done a full repro exam? My horse’s tumor was visible on ultrasound. It wasn’t huge…maybe apricot sized…but it sure caused problems. I did not do any bloodwork.

I had her spayed. I had no plans on breeding her so out the ovaries came…both of them. It was curative.

Susan

My mare didn’t have a tumor, but she did have serious behavior issues that appeared related to her cycle. Long story short, she’d get way too many follicles on one or both ovaries (up a dozen >2cm in size observed during one ultrasound) that were clearly causing significant pain. Once she ovulated, she was back to her normal, happy self. Regumate worked for one season, then stopped working (the ultrasound mentioned above was done while she was on it!) so I had her ovaries removed and it completely solved the problems. The timing of the ultrasound was critical to detecting her particular problem.