Unlimited access >

Horse balancing on 2 feet?

This may not be the correct category, but this has been boggling my mind:
The person I work at a small thoroughbred farm does some of his own shoeing/trimming.
The other day I held a horse for him that was starting to be difficult. He was working on the horse’s right front and I let him know that the horse is relaxing the diagonal (left hind) while he had the front picked up as if not to put weight on it. The horse is a 3 yr race horse that has been shod before etc.
When I said that to him he just said “all horses do that”
Yes I understand that they do that when they snooze etc but is that normal that they’d be balancing their weight on 2 remaining legs while standing for the farrier?
I have never seen that before and I have worked for several different barns, regularly holding for the farrier…

Curious what any of you have to say, because I have an idea but I want to broaden my horizon and I may be wrong ?:slight_smile:

Thank you!!!

The horse might have been leaning on the farrier a bit, sort of balancing on 2 feet plus 2 half feet, if that makes sense? I wouldn’t say that it’s uncommon, I feel like I’ve seen it before, but most farriers won’t tolerate that for long. Their job is hard enough!

1 Like

My horse does that – she loves my farrier and tends to start dozing while he works on the fronts. I always watch for it, and at the first sign, I ask her to stand up on that hind leg (just takes a jiggle on the lead rope, or just a quiet 'hey, wake up there, girl" ) :slight_smile:
A farrier shouldn’t have to ask the handler to correct that. In the first place, it’s a bad idea to work under a horse who’s dozing-- the horse as well as the human to be alert / aware of what’s going on around them, so no one gets surprised and startles at something they should’ve seen coming. And b) as above poster mentioned, if they’re that relaxed, they’re very likely letting the farrier hold more weight than s/he needs to.

1 Like

My horse does that – she loves my farrier and tends to start dozing while he works on the fronts. I always watch for it, and at the first sign, I ask her to stand up on that hind leg (just takes a jiggle on the lead rope, or just a quiet 'hey, wake up there, girl" ) :slight_smile:
A farrier shouldn’t have to ask the handler to correct that. In the first place, it’s a bad idea to work under a horse who’s dozing-- the horse as well as the human to be alert / aware of what’s going on around them, so no one gets surprised and startles at something they should’ve seen coming. And b) as above poster mentioned, if they’re that relaxed, they’re very likely letting the farrier hold more weight than s/he needs to.

Okay I see what you guys are saying. Thank you for the responses. I have to add this horse was in no way relaxed or sleepy. He kept on wanting to get his leg back. That’s when I saw his hind action and thought it was strange like he couldn’t just shift his weight to the hind end and balance. He also doesn’t like his hind end feet picked, he’ll straight up kick even when you keep the foot low and straight back…:confused:

Sounds like a 3yo brat. :lol: But if it’s his own horse, I guess not your place to train him.

1 Like

My pony does this, don’t know how he stays upright, but he does. I think he’s balancing on the farrier like HungarianHippo mentioned. It does not look like he is really leaning on him exactly, just using him for a little guidance, lol. I don’t think he’s annoying the farrier too much or he’d hear about it.

Okay…just wondering if it could have to do with pain/discomfort.
Since nobody knows every thing I figured it’s best to ask
Thanks so much guys!

My 10 year old horse does this for the farrier and when I pick his right front. It’s weird and not a sleepy thing at all. I think there is something tight or weak in the left hind. That left hind has always been a little harder for the farrier to pick up. If I poke his belly a little to make him stand on it he will bring it more under himself and stand on it.

My old gelding who was always somewhat stiff behind and obviously got worse with age would do this. My farrier liked the horse, always did his hinds first because they were the toughest since the horse was always more than happy to let the farrier hold him up. He’d never fully prop his diagonal hind when his fronts were getting worked on, but he definitely wasn’t keeping much weight on it…like he was always trying to prop. He was a good boy, never tried to snatch away or move or give the farrier any trouble, he just leaned a lot. I’m pretty positive it was because he was stiff as a board and had aching joints. Not enough to notice in normal day-to-day stuff, but enough to make the farrier break a sweat holding him up. He’d get after him if it got ridiculous, as he’s not the kind to coddle a horse, but as I said, he liked the horse and knew he had some stiffness, so he always tried to make him as comfortable as possible.

1 Like

Don’t you just love a farrier who empathizes with our old guys??? I had a 29yo guy with very stiff hocks, and my farrier would hold him low to the ground, give him lots of breaks etc. I was always so appreciative.

1 Like

IME it definitely could be a sign of discomfort. I’ve had two horses do what you describe, not at all in a sleepy/relaxed way, and both had physical issues.

My 7 year old, whom I’ve had for about 2 months now, also rests his diagonal hind when a front hoof is picked up. I noticed it the first time he had his feet done shortly after arriving in the US and mentioned it to the farrier. He said the same thing yours did: “All horses do that.” I commented that I’d never noticed a horse doing that up until that time. He does it when I’m cleaning his front feet, too. It doesn’t feel like he’s leaning heavily on me, but he def has his hind foot resting. My guy doesn’t seem to be uncomfortable - just a thing he does. I’d prob be a little concerned or make him stand up more if the farrier seemed at all bothered about it, but he seemed like it was no big deal and was fairly common.

That is not something all horses do.

Horses do it when they are lazy, and horses do it when it’s uncomfortable to shift more weight to that foot/leg/hip.

A 3yo could be in either category, and I would start paying close attention to that LH.

Either way, I wouldn’t just accept it. It’s bad behavior if it’s the 1st, and needs to be investigated if it’s the 2nd.

1 Like

have had the same farrier for 15 years. He’s worth his weight in gold. He would trim my ancient 35 year old pony with knee pads on because said pony could barely tolerate holding up his hinds very long. Lots of breaks and on his knees for my sweet old boy. Sent that pony over the bridge last month. I will always appreciate my farrier’s kindness.

1 Like

I’ve seen this in one that was developing neurologic issues from a lower neck problem. It wasn’t a relaxed thing and he also didn’t used to do it. The difference was he wasn’t exactly resting the hind more like an awkward thing and kind of balancing on that toe. I dunno farrier didn’t seem to be concerned but shortly after I noticed it (not my horse, client’s horse and I had to be there for farrier from time to time) he started to develop other neuro symptoms.

Only other time I have seen it, it was a new temporary behavior. Horse was sore somewhere. Soreness corrected, behavior ceased.

1 Like

My horse does this all the time because he has a really bad hind leg he doesn’t like to put weight on and almost always has it resting. It doesn’t seem to make whatever leg I’m holding heavier, though.

Thank you so much for all the kind responses and sharing your experiences/ thoughts with me!

”‹”‹”‹”‹”‹Really helps to be able to get some insight from you all!

This horse definitely has pain and discomfort, the owner has me ride him now and I can tell !

1 Like

Well I hope you have discontinued riding him if you think he has pain and discomfort.

I wish!!!
My boss won’t listen to me, I told him numerous times, he said if the jockey says anything when he gets worked then he will just inject him. He already got on to me that he doesnt come back hot…I go easy on the horse…if I don’t ride him then he does, and I’m really trying to avoid that bc I know how hard he is…my boss thinks I don’t know anything I heard him say that