Unlimited access >

Horse Boarding Colorado Springs

I am planning a move to Colorado Springs in June from San Diego, CA and I have a horse. I have already looked into transportation for him so I m good there. I m looking for tips on helping him assimilate and for myself owning a horse in snow country. We did live somewhere where it snowed once every 5 years but he just sat in his stall with his blanket for that week since we didn t get snow often.

What should I look for in a boarding facility in the snow? I ve looked into boarding facilities but open to any suggestions. Need to be under 400 a month and I m open to partial care but would prefer not to pasture board as he doesn t always get along with everyone. I m pretty sure I want an indoor arena as he isn t the kind of horse that is happy sitting for a week or more due to poor weather.

There are a couple good Facebook groups Colorado Horse Forum and Colorado Sporthorses that may be good resources for you.

Also, check with western event fb pages, barrel racing and working cowhorse/reining and so on.
Western riding is where most of the horse activity is, so where you will find the most on barns and how to manage in their weather.

If you want to ride year round, an indoor is a must have. The temps aren’t often bad, but the wind can be brutal. I moved my paint here from south Florida in early November after I bought him and he acclimated quickly (I’m at 7,600 feet) I just let him take it easy for the first couple of weeks.

What part of Springs are you going to be moving to? It’s covers a very large area, so narrowing down which end of town you’re on may help. I live in Black Forest, north east of town. There is a place called Vantage Point Farm that I think may fit your bill. www.vantagepointfarmco.com

I wouldn’t agree that an indoor is a must have, but maybe if you are used to Florida :wink: Most of us Coloradoans do not have indoor arenas. There isn’t too often that I really can’t ride if I dress appropriately. We foxhunt all winter too.

And of course while we do get snow, it doesn’t normally stick around for long unless you are up in the mountains. Most of Colorado Springs will dry out very quickly. The sunshine here is extremely powerful. Know that your horse won’t die or freeze in the snow. In fact mine love it – nothing better than going out for a romp in the fresh powder!!

I’m a bit farther north, but I do know that the Rocky Mountain Region Pony Club’s head honcho Allyson Hartenburg is in the Springs area if you would like to connect with her: http://www.hartenburgequestrian.com/

1 Like

I guess I should clarify, I’m talking about serious schooling rides. If you and your pony are happy to workout outdoors, it’s certainly possible. You can definitely survive without an arena if you don’t need perfect footing and don’t mind bundling up. I ride as long as it’s above freezing (which is often) and if the wind isn’t trying to blow me off my horse (below 40mph). Up here in Black Forest the wind blows more often than not. I grew up in Minnesota, so a bit of cold certainly doesn’t scare me.

Indoors also help if you have a FT job and need to ride after work (when it is dark and even colder :slight_smile: ).

FWIW, a number of years ago I boarded at Vantage Point for a few years. If you’re interested, PM me.

I don’t know about the Springs, but much of the area has various light pollution ordinances making it hard to find a place with good arena lights that isn’t indoors. I also agree that the wind (which crops up on the warmest days in the spring/fall) is the worst part, provided of course the outdoor arena footing can handle the occasional dumping of moisture well, which several of them around here can’t.

Do you have any discipline preferences? Many barns are multi-discipline, but if you are looking for something specific (e.g., jumps, trails), the recommendations may vary a bit.