Unlimited access >

Horse Boarding in Oahu

My job may be transferred to Hawaii. I have three horses- one 21 year old very well campaigned, laid back, been there-done that stallion, and two geldings. I am looking for boarding somewhere that will take a stallion, which I know is tricky. I would like some turn out and access to trails, otherwise a dressage arena would be awesome, but any arena would do. Any ideas anyone? I have been in contact with a few places, but the stallion issue makes it difficult. Also, what do folks do who have horses with surgical colics? It looks like there is no surgical facility. That makes me a bit nervous… I have been working in Oahu for a bit now, and am pretty familiar with it. I just haven’t ventured out to see what boarding options there may be. Thank you in advance!

It’s been quite a few years but I loved Maunawili Farm on the Windward side. However, it was self care and no stallions. The board situation was odd and I’ve never run across that way of handling things since. Basically you bought a stall or leased from the owner of that stall, then you paid a monthly board fee. The stall owner was responsible for all maintenance. Those who had money, built nice barns and fenced in pasture area for their own horses. Others, had to be content with the older stalls without attached pastures. A bit of a hodge podge so you have to decide what your needs are. Two large outdoor arenas, a grass riding field, roundpen, lovely trails, and rough turnout pastures (t/o was while-you-wait). It was not cheap! Where you live is really going to determine your stabling options. If you live in Kaneohe you will not want to board on the North Shore or in Waianae, unless you want to see your horse once or twice aweek.

Surgery was done in the field/stall. I knew of several cases and none survived. Oh wait, one young mini pony did make it, but barely. Basically, if surgery is the only other option…euthanize.

Finding a retirement home here on the mainland for your stallion may be the kinder choice especially if the climates are very different. Good luck!

If it is a military transfer you may find some luck on Wheeler Army Airfield… I don’t know what the costs are, or availability.

There are also several boarding facilities on the North Shore. I would give the Feed Trough in Waialua a call, and ask about customers who do boarding, as some places are sorta public stables and some are private.

As mentioned, home base is a big consideration, as road travel can be interesting. North Shore from Honolulu or Pearl are doable depending on time of day.